Headlights fade away? Not a good idea.

frogpipe

Yesterdayz Trainz Member
I was driving a session at dusk, mostly in the shadow of some mountains, and realized my headlight wasn't lighting anything up.

After some fiddling post session, I discover that if you have your headlight on and move the time in session options, that as the sky fades to black your headlight fades in lighting the terrain. At dawn the opposite happens.

Makes life difficult just before 6pm and after 6am the still be in very low light but your headlight's photons have hit the showers.

It's almost light the sun and your headlamps are on a cross-fader rather than the sun overpowering your lights.

I think this is objectively a very BAD design decision by the devs.

This a "known thing" or is something messed up on my end.

F7 in tunnel, GP15 outside with headlamp pointed inside:

Screenshot-2022-05-24-022352.png

Before 18:00 no lighting on track or tunnel walls from GP15, F7 lights up track nicely.

Screenshot-2022-05-24-022356.png

After 18:00, GP15 now lights track and wall inside tunnel, F7 lights grew a touch brighter.

Last edited:
Glad to know this isn't just an issue with my system. On my end headlights don't seem to light the terrain at all regardless of time of day but I figured it was just an issue with my setup...

That's what I was thinking, but as I was investigating I accidently pushed the time wheel well into night and Tada!! Illumination!

That's when I fiddled with it, sliding it across "dusk" and "dawn" and noticed the ambient illumination and the headlamp illumination acted like they were on a crossfader.

Clearly something about tunnels cancels the effect.

Back