Standalone Route Indicator

PortLineParker

UK Route Builder
Hi all,

My knowledge of signal scripting is absolutely zero, so I'm hoping someone on here may know the answer!

Some of the signals on the DLS currently have route indicators to show the driver which track the points have been set; i.e.: at platforms, the indicator might show a '2' for platform 2 etc.

I've only ever seen these indicator boards attached to signals, so my question is would it be possible to create an indicator board that is not a signal and doesn't function as one, but merely an indicator board that will only advise the driver of what track his route has been set for?

Swanage station has one of these where it either shows an L for Loop or M for main (platform) roads, and I was wondering if something similar could be produced in Trainz. This particular signal does have a disc signal in front of it in real life but I don't think it's attached.
ZkZjpxg.jpg

Cheers,

PLP

This particular signal does have a disc signal in front of it in real life but I don't think it's attached.

Are you absolutely certain about that?

I know nothing about UK signalling but I would be surprised if that would be allowed anywhere. It would be too easy for a driver to become confused by assuming that a lone direction indicator was also a clear signal to proceed.

No, it's not a clear aspect at all you're right about that.

When I say it's not attached, I don't think the indicator is physically attached to the disc signal. The signal however provides entry to and from the roads.

The indicator can be set even when a train is occupying the track; it merely reflects the state of the points as to which road it leads to.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

PLP

OK, so the route indicator is physically separate from the signal but is electronically connected to it?

The problem that I think Trainz creators would/could have with that is the script control, which would be needed to set the route display, would still have to be tied to the signal, which would be an independent asset. Not impossible as I have seen this done with a few other objects - the Junction Controller for example.

Yes, that's my understanding.

So I take it then it would be easier if the signal were part of the asset and it all functioned as one? I.e.: the signal cleared for either route and the indicator then showed the route selected?

Cheers,

PLP

Looking at the script of indicator signals by Chrisaw, monitors don't need the signal. They read the path ahead and the feather that is placed on the track. It will only show the number or letter of the feather that is on the set path ahead. If it has a left, straight or right pointer ahead it remains blank.

Back