How to upload TrufFX assets to DLS

You can download the effect above, but I can't figure out how to use it in a new route. Still an open subject

I tried the following and was able to use the new CDE effect.

After installing the new Effect Layer in CM

1. Open the Edit Menu and the Edit Effect Layers Window
  2. Open the Presets drop down list, scroll down and select the new Effect Layer
  3. Open the Terrain Tool, set Height Up, open the Ground Drop Down menu and select the new Effect Layer
  4. Paint.

I tried the following and was able to use the new CDE effect.

After installing the new Effect Layer in CM

1. Open the Edit Menu and the Edit Effect Layers Window
  2. Open the Presets drop down list, scroll down and select the new Effect Layer
  3. Open the Terrain Tool, set Height Up, open the Ground Drop Down menu and select the new Effect Layer
  4. Paint.

The dropdown is blank in both my 117009 and 117092 builds, including surveyor 2

The dropdown is blank in both my 117009 and 117092 builds, including surveyor 2

I just tried it on my 117540 install where I have no Effect Layers installed at all. The drop down is blank but the following worked for adding the first new Effect Layer

1. Click the + button to add a New Layer
  2. Type a name for the layer (any will do)
  3. Make sure that the Effect Type is TurfFX
  4. Click the Tick

Then back in the Edit Effects Layer window open the Presets drop down box and proceed as described in my previous post.

I just tried it on my 117540 install where I have no Effect Layers installed at all. The drop down is blank but the following worked for adding the first new Effect Layer

1. Click the + button to add a New Layer
  2. Type a name for the layer (any will do)
  3. Make sure that the Effect Type is TurfFX
  4. Click the Tick

Then back in the Edit Effects Layer window open the Presets drop down box and proceed as described in my previous post.

Build 117009, no joy, still empty dropdowns. You are on 117540. Can you try in a lower version to verify my versions. Maybe it's been fixed in later versions? Or as posted somewhere Tony said it's a Route thing, but that would limit any kind of merging.

Last edited:
Build 117092 is my lowest version.

On reflection, my amended method of always using the + button to add a downloaded Effect Layer is the correct way to go.

I can confirm that it is a "Route thing". Installing a new layer, yours for example, in one Route will not automatically install it in other routes. It does not become a dependency of that route. It has to be individually installed in all routes where you want to use it.

I just ran a few tests using different builds of Trainz Plus. If you export the route as a .cdp with the new Effect Layer included and then install that .cdp Route into another copy of Trainz then the Effect Layer is transferred across with the Route. However, the new layer is not a dependency of that route so it seems to be "built-in" but not as a built-in asset. I can confirm that the new layer does appear in the Terrain Tool Ground drop down list of TurfFX effects that can be selected for painting in Surveyor.

I have also just confirmed the results of my previous experiments with merging routes. Only the Effect Layers present in the original (first loaded) Route, not the merged Route, are preserved during the merge. This is exactly the same as for the Session layers.

Back