Picklist for Performance: RFI

C_Blabsky

Please make suggestions on Textures, Track and Track Objects, Buildings, etc., proven to be easy on the GPU. The objective is to have a go-to checklist for route-building small test tracks, for instance.

Comments on some of the usual suspects in the 'may have an effect on performance' to avoid is appreciated as well.

My particular operation is TRS19 SP1, with only standard/low graphics; perhaps some of this info would be valuable to other folks as well. I'll post in this thread updates with my own experiments.

The latest info from another thread alluded to built-in assets not showing warnings that may or may not be warranted, as similar assets from DLS and same creator/version/kind would show.

Thanks in advance,
Blabsky

Have a look at the content on Middleton for lap tops. Designed to run on Intel integrated graphics series 4000 or later or a 3D score of 332. https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php Note the rolling stock was specially built to be low impact by using the same under-frame and watch the locos. Repetition helps the frame rates but varying the top helps the eye candy.

Cheerio John

N3V has several videos on YouTube. One or two cover using content manager and surveyor to view the performance of objects.

Have a dig through those. They explain it well.

Thanks for the You tube suggestion, oldGI, I have read a lot of the Wiki and the Forums but sometimes forget about the videos.

John, I've DL'd the Middleton route and session to get an idea of those assets. I've made picklists by selecting all the relevant dependencies in a route (i.e., Dearnby Textures or Alma Valley Flora) and can use the CM on Middleton in that manner.

It is still a matter of previewing any asset, one at a time. I hope to come up with a few examples of textures, track, etc. that I can use for any small test route. Too bad about the Speed Trees.

Thanks for the You tube suggestion, oldGI, I have read a lot of the Wiki and the Forums but sometimes forget about the videos.

John, I've DL'd the Middleton route and session to get an idea of those assets. I've made picklists by selecting all the relevant dependencies in a route (i.e., Dearnby Textures or Alma Valley Flora) and can use the CM on Middleton in that manner.

It is still a matter of previewing any asset, one at a time. I hope to come up with a few examples of textures, track, etc. that I can use for any small test route. Too bad about the Speed Trees.

Sometimes you have to take into account more than one asset at a time. The Magic of Middleton might not be apparent when you look at the individual wagons with 3,000 polys and 6 draw calls. It's only when you run them together that each additional wagon adds only a few extra polys that it works. Use different wagons and it all falls apart.

Also it works by combining lots of things together for the stations unconnected platforms, sheep pen, a block of housing etc. There is an overhead per asset used and Middleton gets round this by using big assets.

Cheerio John

Last edited:
Back