Can someone explain this?

rhban

I'm new to trs19 (build 116960), but something inexplicable has happened: my water level is supposed to be 0.00, and, as I have discovered, land needs to be at least 4 above water level to be certain of showing. So, having started with some very high ground for the bridge, I was adding some land at a height of 5 at the shoreline, when some of it started showing as water. Using the "no water" tool had no effect, so I tried making the land higher, but it had to be at least 15 to hide the water which seemed pretty silly. Then I looked at it from water level (see screen shot):
Screen_Shot_2022-05-10_at_10.19.29_am.png

I'm not at all clear on how this happened and even less clear on how to fix it

Water is a little bit different in TS22. Adding water will add it to a effects layer and add it everywhere on the route, it can then be manipulated like terrian raising, lowering, etc. If your working on a older layout (one that has had water added before this) they dont seem to interact well together. Not sure on any solution.

Very hard to see what's going on in such a tiny screenshot. Trainz water in recent editions is no longer a universally flat plane, it has the ability to have different heights at different places and still be connected. It's kind of like a spline. Would this explain what you're seeing? Maybe you need to go over it all, resetting the water height until it's a constant level everywhere.

Water is a little bit different in TS22. Adding water will add it to a effects layer and add it everywhere on the route, it can then be manipulated like terrian raising, lowering, etc. If your working on a older layout (one that has had water added before this) they dont seem to interact well together. Not sure on any solution.

With an older route, you can use the import legacy water and this will change the water to S2.0 type water. You can also use the import legacy water on a new map with no water to allow the old way of placing water by grid squares only and not the whole route.

The water needs to use the the brush water layer and brush set height found under the S2.0 tools pallete plus the height in tools option to give a flat level.

When I attempted to convert legacy water to the new kind, I ended up with dark blue Jello that didn't quite match my shoreline.

Very hard to see what's going on in such a tiny screenshot. Trainz water in recent editions is no longer a universally flat plane, it has the ability to have different heights at different places and still be connected. It's kind of like a spline. Would this explain what you're seeing? Maybe you need to go over it all, resetting the water height until it's a constant level everywhere.

If only I knew how to do that! I have never changed the water height from 0.00 nor did I place water in the places where it has appeared on land. I have read the comments from Tony Hillam and Stagecoach, and I feel I'm still missing something. The only reason I touched the Water Effect was to try and get rid of that awful orange coloured ocean that they supply with "Australia". I still don't understand what is happening or how to control it. Water seems to be appearing without warning at any level.
BTW, I rarely use the up/down terrain features except near the end to create rounded hills. At this stage, I only use the the "plateau" with set heights.
I'm beginning to wish I had gone back to TANE.

With an older route, you can use the import legacy water and this will change the water to S2.0 type water. You can also use the import legacy water on a new map with no water to allow the old way of placing water by grid squares only and not the whole route.

The water needs to use the the brush water layer and brush set height found under the S2.0 tools pallete plus the height in tools option to give a flat level.

I'd rather sell my soul than get lost in the 2.0 tool, which I do not understand at all.
Moreover, the old way, at least with TANE, did not have the water level the same for the whole route. I used to place dams and waterfalls in my rivers and change the water level frequently. You just had to make sure the different water levels never touched.

I've given up trying to understand this new gimmick, so I have restarted my route in a different "country" where the water is blue. It is annoying because it means the trees will lose their leaves in spring, but it's better than lumpy water.

I now find my route no longer offers me the option of using the new surveyor tool.
>>
This is based upon which build you have installed.
117118 is TRS22
117092 is Trainz Plus
You can patch from 117118 > 117092 using the Trainz Plus patch stream

You can have the new water effect at various heights throughout the route - just use "Set Height". If the water is showing where you don't want to see it, use set height to lower it below ground level.

I highly recommend spending a few hours to become familiar with S20 - check the guide here
https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs.

It provides some significant shortcuts to building routes.

stagecoach
You still don't say how to change the watercolor in TRS22 as the environment does not work.
Apparently this is set by the skybox upper panel setting/ choice. Click the top panel of the skybox preview pane and set the RGB controls to the desired colour...
Problem is that it also (necessarily) sets the colour for the prevailing overhead skybox.
We need to see a new, more realistic and responsive method employed for sky settings in the future, so using this upper skybox panel for setting water colour will hopefully only be a temporary fix.

Last edited:
rhban
What's a skybox?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skybox_(video_games)

In T:ANE, TRS19 and TRS22, we set environmental variables in the Environment dialog, so we can enjoy different settings (night/ day/ cloudy/ clear, foggy, etc.) for each time segment applied to each session based on a route.
Here's where you set the skybox preview pane settings. If you click in the preview box, you can set the colour applicable to each of these sections (Upper, Lower and central).

sky_preview.jpg

You can choose which generic 'skybox' asset applies to your session on the next tab.
Here, I have chosen <kuid:86311:1809> Good Weather Forecast manweb Sky...
env_skybox.jpg

That sky preview upper pane, when clicked, allows you to set the RGB values applied to the top of the skybox in your session.
Test that by setting it to blood red, and see what effect that has - on both the sky overhead - and (in Surveyor 2.0/ TRS22) the water colour!

In T:ANE and TRS19, of course, the in-scene water colour is determined by the colours you choose to apply in the Water Colour preview pane on the bottom right of the Environment - Lighting settings dialog.
Here's a helpful tutorial from N3V for your use and enjoyment: https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl

skybox_preview.jpg

Last edited:
rhban
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skybox_(video_games)

In T:ANE, TRS19 and TRS22, we set environmental variables in the Environment dialog, so we can enjoy different settings (night/ day/ cloudy/ clear, foggy, etc.) for each time segment applied to each session based on a route.
Here's where you set the skybox preview pane settings. If you click in the preview box, you can set the colour applicable to each of these sections (Upper, Lower and central).

sky_preview.jpg

]
skybox_preview.jpg
My Environment pane doesn't look quite like that. It doesn't have those three little windows on the right, and the only options are things like "Queensland Sky".

That's because what is shown above in the first image is the Environment - Lighting dialog. (Tab has a clock icon). The one depicted above is from TRS19-Platinum Edition, and is the same in TRS22.
Note I added the label beside the sky preview pane to highlight it for that post.
The one below (with the background image) is the Environment - Environment pane.
If you click on the middle tab at the upper left of any of these dialogs, (the one with the globe) you can access the Environment - Location dialog, which allows you to set the season, location (World Origin) and date for your sessions. It also allows you to toggle road traffic on or off - and whether they drive on the left or right - if you have a suitable Region applied to the route.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
JAGG -
Does it mean the water become red when I change the sky colour to reddish?
Yes - Though still actually translucent, in the new water effects setting mode (Surveyor 2.0/ Trainz Build Ver 5.1 and above), the water will reflect the prevailing colour chosen in the upper skybox setting pane in the Environment - Lighting panel.
Note that, in the classic water colour setting system for T:ANE and TRS19, the water will still also reflect somewhat the sky RGB settings/ clouds etc., even when you set the water colour to black or dark grey (which is my preference for more naturally appearing water bodies).
And - the underlying texture (rocks, pebbles, sand, sea grass/ weeds, etc.) of the terrain covered by water will also show through, especially in shallow areas near the banks or beach. This still occurs in the new system.
Best reflection and water simulation results, of course, are dependent upon setting your Water Quality to 'Ultra' in the Trainz Settings, Performance tab of Launcher.

Last edited:
Back