Migrating Route from 2019 to 2022 + issue

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
I have an issue migrating a route/session from 2019 to 2022. Very puzzling.

I have this route which works fine in 2019. Everything runs as expected. No errors on any of the assets.

I save the route/session to a CDP. I then import the content file into 2022+. Again, no errors with any of the content. I then open up Trainz and select this route/session to open in Surveyor 2, which it does fine. From the session I select "drive train" and everything is fine. I quit by exiting the driver mode, with no saves. I open up the route and repeat and again everything is fine. I again exit driver with no saves. I then enter surveyor again and make some changes and save these to the route and session, and then exit. This is where the problems begin.

When I now startup in the surveyor mode (surveyor 2) and execute the drive command things don't work properly with some of the consists and passenger stations. One example is that a consist will go to a passenger station and load up but then just sits there. Also, some of the portals are not emitting properly. The consist is formed properly and proceeds to the mouth of the portal and just sits there and will not exit. I have tried switching out the stations involved, but that does not help. The same with the portals.

There must be something in the 2019 code which does not agree with 2022.

Any thoughts?

The only distinction in routes/session between 2022+ (Trainz Plus latest build) and Trainz 19 (including Trainz Plus earlier builds) that I am aware of is in the build numbers of the assets they create. Earlier Trainz Plus releases created routes and sessions with asset build numbers of 5.0. The latest Trainz Plus (and TRS22) create route and sessions with asset build numbers of 5.1 which are not compatible with earlier Trainz versions. If you saved the edits in the latest Trainz Plus version then it will not run in earlier versions. So check the asset build numbers in CM.

It is also possible that there is nothing wrong with the 2019 code compared to 2022+. It may simply be Alister (the AI) playing his silly games again.

I have found that opening up the session and making a slight change to require a save fixes weirdness like this. I think the issue is just as pware describes something to do with the disparity in the versions. As always, make a backup of everything before making changes.

Making a change to the session is what triggers the problem. Everything is fine until I make the change.

I had similar problems with a route that started in TRS19, went to TRS19+, then TRS22+. Driver misbehavior as you describe. The driver setup in Edit Session did not match what was going on in Drive Session. A total mess and I was about to give up on the entire route. Then I noticed this in Surveyor/Tools: Compact Route. Hmm I wonder what this does. Backed up the route and session first and then went for it. And it worked. Resolved everything. I still had the typical user errors of course but everything wrong now was explainable and fixable. Worth a try.

I had similar problems with a route that started in TRS19, went to TRS19+, then TRS22+. Driver misbehavior as you describe. The driver setup in Edit Session did not match what was going on in Drive Session. A total mess and I was about to give up on the entire route. Then I noticed this in Surveyor/Tools: Compact Route. Hmm I wonder what this does. Backed up the route and session first and then went for it. And it worked. Resolved everything. I still had the typical user errors of course but everything wrong now was explainable and fixable. Worth a try.

Well, this is interesting. I did the compact route thing. I then made some changes to the route/session and then "saved as" instead of just "saved". The new "saved as" route/session now seems to work as expected.

The route I am working on started with version TRS2004 and I have been working with it and expanding it all the way to TRS2022+(Trainz+). I hope to keep expanding it as time goes on.

Thanks for that suggestion. Don't know why it works but it stopped my quest for the solution.

What I have found is never ever save the Session unless you have just made changes to the session. If the change was to the route, then save only the route.

Back