Trainz Plus Beta 117464 now available

I do like the idea of Multi Player, but needs to have a way to be able to work on my own Custom Map wth others helping me out with my Custom Map, but not possible as the assets are limited for the MP, and the Personal Map Creators can not use thier Maps for this as a sharing way to colaborate with others.

I also would like to see more updates, and fixes for the main Platform such as Night Point Lighting and better Ground draw Distance detail.
The old type lighting has poor Tranparencies to look good from some of the older Building Lights, as they have a box look to them, Carz, and default Aircraft Head Lamps are good example of old school lighting that need to have better Semitranparent look to them.
Just my thoughts.
All in all, I do still enjoy the Trainz Platform, and working on my Crazy large Custom Map.
Cheers!:)

Last edited:
Honestly, MPS is cool. I'd love to be able to just invite a few friends, make a huge route in record time then set up a massive OP session and invite people to come in and watch, or assign roles (like dispatcher, yardmaster, hostler, engineer, conductor, etc.) to make the experience way more cool. The only problem with MPS (and multiplayer in general) is that no one wants to play it. There's hundreds of MP routes on the DLS, but no one is on them. Its usually KSC2 (which I've driven way too many times) and occasionally a lot of eastern European routes (which I have no interest in). There needs to be a way to make MP more enticing and have others play it more. I loved the fact that I could hop on a game with 20 people and mess around with trains, that just doesn't happen anymore. Hopefully with MPS, multiplayer will be revived.

I install TP beta's but have no interest in your idea of MPS.

I was hoping it would be something more like a route building tool, between friends.

Access between two Trainz installs, not an open free for all.

Or have i got that wrong.

This can be set for just you and whoever you invite. Your route would not be open to everyone. The routes in the bate test are open to everyone.

I'm not interested in MPS.

However, I have tried using it but ran into an issue. I have modified some of the assets for use in my own routes, but which are also used in MPS. The result is I cannot use MPS, even if I wanted to. An example is the KSC2 - Full edition 1 which is recommended to test. When I try to activate, I get a list of assets that have been modified and this blocks me from entering the route.

So, for me to participate in MPS I would have to download a fresh copy of TRS2022, and make no local modifications to the assets, to use solely for use in MPS. Is this an accurate assessment?

I'm not interested in MPS.

However, I have tried using it but ran into an issue. I have modified some of the assets for use in my own routes, but which are also used in MPS. The result is I cannot use MPS, even if I wanted to. An example is the KSC2 - Full edition 1 which is recommended to test. When I try to activate, I get a list of assets that have been modified and this blocks me from entering the route.

So, for me to participate in MPS I would have to download a fresh copy of TRS2022, and make no local modifications to the assets, to use solely for use in MPS. Is this an accurate assessment?

Paul,

Having a separate install will work. You don't need to import any of your content and only install any of your DLC just in case it's needed for one of the routes.

I saw this post (like the other posts) so I'm going to answer the questions if I may :)

1. Have you checked out MPS recently? (And if not, what has been the main thing stopping you?)
Yes I've checked out MPS - mostly during the stress test. Before MPS I've played Trainz multiplayer (driver) until I got a copy of Run8 then I switched trains and multiplayer to that game instead for a lot of reasons that I won't mention here (but if you want to know the reasons, feel free to PM me) but decided to give surveyor multiplayer a try. Going to be honest it seems to be much better than what the driver versions is. It'll probably be a feature I'll consider once its more of a 'free' type of surveyor that the local (current) version of surveyor is.

2. What was your overall impression?
I've mention this a little above but it feels better performance wise and I haven't been feeling the desync like I did when I played the driver version of multiplayer. It has potential but for now its too limited in everything as you can only use a small content set, can only upload your route but can't download it, etc so for the time being I'll be sticking with the local version where I can use whatever item I like to use.

3. What do we need to do to get more people participating in the the MPS testing?
Right now the only real thing stopping me from using it are the limitations that are improsed with MPS. Like for example I can't upload my current WIP Metra route as it contains several items that aren't on the DLS (TransDEM textures) and several DLS items that aren't part of the content set. Right now because of all of the restrictions, MPS is useless to me and to other creators that are hoping to use it as well.

Cheers

As noted above, route specific content packages are being worked on (and not too far away from being available in our next Trainz Plus update).

While I was available for the previous MPS beta, I have no time currently.

Am I interested?

Not really. I prefer to Trainz alone when I have time.

1. Have you checked out MPS recently? (And if not, what has been the main thing stopping you?)
3. What do we need to do to get more people participating in the the MPS testing?

1. Only during stress test. Had some holiday trips the past 2 weeks :p
The main target group are route builders - I'm more the "consumer" but I must say it was fun driving there with so many folks around. I missed that kind of action.

2. I at least had fun. No major hiccups other than the already known ones. It appeared the session settings did reset at one point completely and sometimes only partially (might have been caused by a client crash). So while trying to configure an industry only parts of the settings "arrived" while trying then driving, It appeared a product got stuck in a production queue - and there was no way to get it out there again. This inconsistency got solved when the complete session was reset (or whatever was done in background)

3. While I understand the load test most folks have something in mind to build rather than chaos-building. Maybe a hackathron where folks team up and build something once you have the things ready enough? (This route-specific content package thing you mentioned) But that's probably more something for later. And maybe give out a few free FCT or store vouchers people can give a way to others that have not the funds to buy them on their own?

HOTT - the script is out of date and requires updating. We had a meeting today about how to make more creators aware of the need to update their content to make it more efficient.

Maybe resuming the Trainz Script training courses with TRS22 standard might be helpful. I'd fix some things myself if I could but it's pretty impossible without a trainer/proper guidance. You want more scripters, people that help fixing old content? Make them! Similar what your tutorials with asset creation do for 3D content creation :)

That's just my ideas.
Lockheed

I have been hesitant to respond to this post because I have never even used Multiplayer in Driver, let alone in Surveyor.

I do like the idea of MPS and can see that there will be users who will find it extremely useful as well as a time saver, an assessment that is based purely on my understanding of what it does! I participated in a route building collaboration with another user about 5-6 years ago and it would have been useful then but before that, and since, I have been a sole developer.

It would be helpful if you could put together a video tutorial on how it works, how to set it up, its pros and (most importantly) its cons.

My thoughts.

Tony, most games have a separate slider to adjust how far trees are drawn. The more you move it to the left, the earlier the LODs switch. And you can adjust the adequate switching distance of the LODs. Can we add this to the game?

Tony Is it possible to make a high-quality beam from a spotlight at the game level at night? Because the one we did as alpha in Trainz 12 looks terrible right now

Minor issue, not related to MP at all...

The error-checking for unused files may not be parsing .lm.txt files?
Screenshot%202022-04-30%20122624.png

Of course, it's entirely possible I messed something up, as well :D
Asset is on the DLS.

Edit: also looks like it has problems with the low lod for the old mesh-reducing track - see <kuid2:124060:32066:1> on the DLS. Not sure that's a priority, though ;)

Thanks!
Curtis

Last edited:
Minor issue, not related to MP at all...

The error-checking for unused files may not be parsing .lm.txt files?
Screenshot%202022-04-30%20122624.png

Of course, it's entirely possible I messed something up, as well :D
Asset is on the DLS.

I'm getting the same warnings and it does look as if the lm.txt files are not being checked.

Back