Trainz / Athearn

Duke1234

Maybe college induced sleep deprivation is getting in the way of logical thought, but does anyone else question the link between early trainz models and real model railroading. Little inaccuracies found in Athearn (mostly) models have found their way into early Trainz equipment (1.4 etc).

• Funky oversize windows on the early F units
  • Overwide long hoods and strange window proportions on sd40-2s
  • High-Cube 40ft baby ruth boxcar, that only ever existed as a tyco model as far as I can tell.
  • The infamous IC coal hopper which was a well known athearn car.
  • The original ATSF cars being underlength much like the Athearn ATSF starter sets.

Am I overthinking this? I feel like there is a simple answer that Im not seeing.

Duke

Wouldn’t be surprised if one guy used a model locomotive as a reference. I mean, you can take an HO Scale model, multiply the length, width and height by 87.1 and import the measurements into a 3D modeling site.

Remember one of the included routes in Trainz 1.1 was Outback Australia that was built almost exactly to plan 82 Toledo & Southern Michigan RR in Kalmbach's 101 Model Railroad Plans.

Remember one of the included routes in Trainz 1.1 was Outback Australia that was built almost exactly to plan 82 Toledo & Southern Michigan RR in Kalmbach's 101 Model Railroad Plans.

That makes me wonder if constructing something like highland valley (best route ever made) would be possible in HO

I don't see why not but it will cost a lot at today's prices. Model railroad supplies are 20 times what they were when I was active with it.

Back