4 x TANE installations ?

lewisner

Hello everybody, not been on here for a while hope you are all OK.
I recently tried to build a new PC using a "pre owned" mobo but couldn't get it working so I have reassembled my old PC and installed Windows 10, previously it was Windows 7. I've been looking at ways to optimise performance but when I went to "Uninstall Programs" I found that there appear to be 4 installations of TANE which use 15.1GB , 15.5GB , 15.1GB and 13.5GB.

Can anyone tell me why it is shown like this - is it duplicated installations or simply how TANE shows in the list ?If it is duplication I will uninstall 3 of them but I don't want accidentally wreck my game. I installed Windows 10 but kept existing programmes and I think I have an installation of TRS 2012 as well as TRS 2019.

Hi and welcome back!
Grey Area regarding uninstall entries, the could be installs or just additional entries for a patch, could be for TRS19 as that was showing up as TANE in the Installed programs list!
The uninstaller invariably doesn't work after any patches, safest to just ignore the entries and check what's actually on the drive(s) unless you have multiple TANE folders it is extremely unlikely you have multiple installs.
I have 4 TANE entries on this PC, one of which is actually TRS19 version.

Hi and welcome back!
Grey Area regarding uninstall entries, the could be installs or just additional entries for a patch, could be for TRS19 as that was showing up as TANE in the Installed programs list!
The uninstaller invariably doesn't work after any patches, safest to just ignore the entries and check what's actually on the drive(s) unless you have multiple TANE folders it is extremely unlikely you have multiple installs.
I have 4 TANE entries on this PC, one of which is actually TRS19 version.

Thanks , I am still grappling with Windows 10. Does that mean that Windows 10 will simply show any Trainz version as TANE ? The thing that made me think they were separate installations was the different file sizes. I only had TRS 12 on my PC because there were some things I could do in that I couldn't in 19 and I'm paranoid about losing any work !

At the moment here TRS19 is showing as TANE, the TRS19 installs do have the yellow TRS19 Icon in the programs list. TS12 should be OK I think and the latest version TRS22 actually shows up as TRS22 in the list.

On my main PC which I'm on now there are 8 entries for TANE and 1 for TRS22, Ive actually only got TRS19, TRS22 Plus and TRS22 Plus beta installs on this PC and only 3 actually have file sizes, the others are blank, bizarrely they all show the same date which corresponds to the last major Windows update and not very helpful!

You may be correct that if there is a size there may be something installed or left! I'd seriously have a look at what's on your hard drive / SSD before assuming the list is correct!

If you intend running TS12 in Win10 you need to get the DirectX9c runtimes or it will not run very well, from Microsoft here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 It actually updates DirectX to add the files that Microsoft omitted to include in DX10 upwards and doesn't affect the existing DirectX installed.

Backups? I'm somewhat paranoid over loosing things.
I always keep my Userdata folder in the Trainz program folder rather than have it hidden away in the users folder and backup the who lot to external USB drives,I do double backups using Freefilesync, which basically mirrors any changes which is pretty quick after the initial backup is done, two backups in case one of the backup drives fail which one did a few months ago! I also save my WIP route to cdp on the backup drives and shove a copy on Google drive as well and TRS19 is also mirrored on one of my other PCs

At the moment here TRS19 is showing as TANE, the TRS19 installs do have the yellow TRS19 Icon in the programs list. TS12 should be OK I think and the latest version TRS22 actually shows up as TRS22 in the list.

On my main PC which I'm on now there are 8 entries for TANE and 1 for TRS22, Ive actually only got TRS19, TRS22 Plus and TRS22 Plus beta installs on this PC and only 3 actually have file sizes, the others are blank, bizarrely they all show the same date which corresponds to the last major Windows update and not very helpful!

You may be correct that if there is a size there may be something installed or left! I'd seriously have a look at what's on your hard drive / SSD before assuming the list is correct!

If you intend running TS12 in Win10 you need to get the DirectX9c runtimes or it will not run very well, from Microsoft here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 It actually updates DirectX to add the files that Microsoft omitted to include in DX10 upwards and doesn't affect the existing DirectX installed.

Backups? I'm somewhat paranoid over loosing things.
I always keep my Userdata folder in the Trainz program folder rather than have it hidden away in the users folder and backup the who lot to external USB drives,I do double backups using Freefilesync, which basically mirrors any changes which is pretty quick after the initial backup is done, two backups in case one of the backup drives fail which one did a few months ago! I also save my WIP route to cdp on the backup drives and shove a copy on Google drive as well and TRS19 is also mirrored on one of my other PCs

I don't really need TRS12 as it is so I may as well save my content but delete it. It only survived at all because having not played Trains for about 3 years I discovered TRS12 squirrelled away on a USB drive in a desk. It was fun to see it rise from the dead with no ill effects !

Back