TransDem Tutorial

John,
one thing I’ve noticed is that usin JOSM, open maps and finding historic (abandoned) rail is great for the “main” line, but doesn’t always include the sidings and industrial bits.
For example, using the historic Scotland website and the 6” mapping:-
St Andrews’ goods yard tracks aren’t shown, Anstruther Wester has a set of sidings, platform, turntable on the mapping - but not on the open map. My wife remembers this, but not Open Maps.
I suspect that a detailed modelling would used the JOSM technique for the main route, but need enhancements for sidings etc.

cheers,
Colin

Colin,

I agree totally with your appraisal.

We all have our preferred routines and tools. Mine has been TransDEM and Google Earth to establish a reasonably accurate linear and vertical landscape and to then resort to the National Museum of Scotland’s vast selection of19th and 20th century maps for most of the scenic elements and the detail. It has to be transferred manually and it’s time consuming but so was O gauge modelling. Send a PM if you need any research material.

John

Sorry about this but I am a bit late to this party, I was following this thread for a while and I believe some parts went awry and I gave up. I haven't looked on here for 2 days now and it was ColPrice2002 who suggested I have another look and surprise surprise it makes for some excellent reading. I think with some help from Colin I may get somewhere but I rely heavily on the forums to hold my aging hands. I really am glad to see Pitmilly (John Webster) here and hope I can count on him to help when he can.
craigdon

Sorry about this but I am a bit late to this party, I was following this thread for a while and I believe some parts went awry and I gave up. I haven't looked on here for 2 days now and it was ColPrice2002 who suggested I have another look and surprise surprise it makes for some excellent reading. I think with some help from Colin I may get somewhere but I rely heavily on the forums to hold my aging hands. I really am glad to see Pitmilly (John Webster) here and hope I can count on him to help when he can.
craigdon

Craig,

Shall be only too pleased to help - that’s assuming I have the answer. Use the open forum or send a PM if you prefer.

Just for the record, I’ve been a rail enthusiast for the better part of 80 years so am reasonably familiar with the “aging hands” syndrome.

John

Wow, you must be older than me then I first had an interest in Trainz some 15 , or so, years ago and I was only interested in trains in my early years when I was in Blair Atholl, Perthshire and we were lucky and could get a swing on the crossing gates. Blair was very busy at that time as all train traffic had to stop at the station in case the Duke wanted to go to London , and it was where the train used to get the extra locomotive to get up the hill on its way to Inverness.
I had a look at the use of JOSM this afternoon and was very surprised that I got some things right. I didn't end up with a route or anything but I will go over the tutorial again and see what happens, I will probably do it a couple of times as I quite liked some of the things that were happening, some other parts were not too good, e.g. when I went to JOSM and tried to download the route I spent a long time cutting down to get it to show up, very frustrating. But I quite enjoyed myself and will redo the exercise until I get what I am supposed to get, a route to export to Trainz.
Thanks again all, you have restored my confidence.
Don W (craigdon)
PS pitmilly, I have sent a PM.

To get back on track. I have went through the 2 Tutorials about using TransDEM and Google Earth,pdf and the Tutorial 2:Google Earth and TransDEM in the TransDEM manual and quite pleased with what I have so far. I managed the files into TransDEM and have saved them as UTM's. I will need to find what to do next.
craigdon

How to open a rute

Can anyone help me here. I open TransDEM and go to Route to open a Route but the list is ALL greyed out. How do I open a Route ?? Anyone ?
craigdon

Can anyone help me here. I open TransDEM and go to Route to open a Route but the list is ALL greyed out. How do I open a Route ?? Anyone ?
craigdon

Hello craigdon,

You have to open a dem or a georef raster map ( or raster map ) or both, before you can open a route.

Kind regards

Kurt :wave:

Last edited:
I am back with another query this morning. I am going the TransDEM video tutorial again as I am unhappy with the results I have so far. I have just started in to the tutorial and I am getting the Raster map using Open Street Map same as the video but I see is on his Map Tile Servers dialogue box the Scale on his map says 1:50000 on my map it says Scale approx. 1:3100000. I am at the recommended Zoom level of 9 at this point. Should I carry on and see what happens or can I change some setting ?? Any help please.
craigdon

I am back with another query this morning. I am going the TransDEM video tutorial again as I am unhappy with the results I have so far. I have just started in to the tutorial and I am getting the Raster map using Open Street Map same as the video but I see is on his Map Tile Servers dialogue box the Scale on his map says 1:50000 on my map it says Scale approx. 1:3100000. I am at the recommended Zoom level of 9 at this point. Should I carry on and see what happens or can I change some setting ?? Any help please.
craigdon

Hello craigdon,

Yes, you can change the setting.

Your setting in the scale approx 1 = 1:3100000 and zoom level 9.

If you want the same settings as in the tutorial, you have to increase the zoom level.

You can increase the zoom level by using the small triangle button ( with the point up ).

By changing the zoom level, you will see that the scale approx will also change. Change the zoom level - until you you reach 1:50000 .

Following the tutorial, do not forget to check the Zoom ( Max ) level, which can also be increased or decreased.

Kind regards

Kurt :wave:

Thanks for that. I have just finished the latest try I made of my route and it is the worst yet with half a dozen baseboards showing and the same amount missing. Completely disjointed, it is not worth trying to salvage much better creating another one from scratch.
craigdon
EDIT I have given up for the moment. It is all a bit too much for me. Thanks for the help but it is not working.
craigdon

Last edited:
What doesn't help at all is the services have changed consistently and considerably over the years. We come up with a process that works then that's no longer the case a few months or a year later. I had put together a procedure for using TransDEM. This has worked pretty well in the past, but unfortunately, I'm not so sure anymore. This isn't Dr. Ziegler's fault because his program is the same. I can post the instructions here, and hopefully someone can find them useful.

Links to tutorials.

2 Items

Note:

I created these for use with the US National Map Server service from the National Geological Survey. Substitute your own sources for maps and data. The rest of the process will be the same.
The documents mention TS12 and T:ANE. The process is the same for TRS19 and above.

I was able to view the links, but by the time I decided to use your suggestions, OneDrive would not lot me view them logged in or not. Any suggestions other than dragging them around (tried that already).

I was able to view the links, but by the time I decided to use your suggestions, OneDrive would not lot me view them logged in or not. Any suggestions other than dragging them around (tried that already).

I'll repost them again. I had a weird issue recently and ended up rebuilding my PC and One Drive decided to sync my content. There's a possibility I deleted them from my local drive which deleted them from One Drive! I've since changed that by disabling One Drive app from accessing my folders.

See if these links work for you.

TransDEM Route Creation and Export - revised --- 02-28-2022.pdf

The Quick and Easy Method for using TransDEM and Topographic Maps - Revised 03-01-2022.pdf

Thank you again for the information, I downloaded them this time. Hope you don't mind.

You are welcome, Charlie. That's what they're there for. Hopefully you find them useful. So much changed with the National Server end, it's difficult keeping up with that and the docs are obsolete before I complete them.

Understandable, I have had the same happen to me with USGS site and I started to an instruction set, but as you stated all of it changed. Keeps all the route builders guessing, just like wally world.

Understandable, I have had the same happen to me with USGS site and I started to an instruction set, but as you stated all of it changed. Keeps all the route builders guessing, just like wally world.

That is why I strongly recommend against creating threads like this. Roland maintains a thread for each new version of TransDEM/TrainzDEM in the Payware forum where he can answer any question about the software and if something has changed with the servers, he can make changes to the program that benefits everyone. I've used the software since the TRS2004 days and every single time I've run into a problem, Roland has provided a detailed and illustrated answer in less than 24 hours.

TransDEM: Step-by-Step

Hi dbgallant77,

Are you still looking for a TransDEM Tutorial?
If so, I just uploaded this one on the Trainz video forum and my MP451 YouTube Channel.

It's a little different than the others as it emphasizes using TransDEM's "Map Tile Method" of creating Orthophotos along your entire route which is, by far, the easiest and quickest way to do so. :)

If this interests you, check it out.

Bill

*Roland graciously reviewed it for me so should be error free.

Hey All,

Ive got TransDEM working on my new laptop - resurrecting my old Frankfurt - Mannheim route :) The only thing I cant figure is how to make the ground textures work properly. I want to have the map painted - and not use the UTM tiles, but when I load my rails I only get a teal track underlay and no surrounding information... Can anyone help me correct this? I must have missed a step somewhere...! Following the tutorial I posted in post #8 on this thread.

Ive just started last week! This video on Youtube, an hour long, stepped me through everything and pumped out a small DEM route at the end of it. Satisfying start! I had a bit of jumping around to make sure I had everything installed, but completed this video to satisfaction, and ill use it again when i want to go for a bigger route!

Thanks in advance!

In the TransDem user guide, look at tutorials number 3 and number 7.

These explain how to get the textures for your route prior to exporting to a Trainz route.

Optionally, turn off the grid and the teal-colored track line you drew with the line tool prior to exporting when you are creating routes that have disused ROW. This will allow you to see the underlying map and help you locate the track on the old grade.

Back