TransDem Tutorial

Here is some unsolicited advice to anyone learning to use TransDEM. It is complex software and the user interface, for a beginner, is like being presented with Blender for the first time.

A good source of DEM terrain to start with is the SRTM data found here: 30-Meter SRTM Elevation Data Downloader (dwtkns.com). It is likely this is the only data source you will need, unless you need higher resolution DEMs with finer terrain detail.

Learn how to create bare terrain for a route, using the simple route editor to define where in general the tracks will be, how many baseboards on each side, etc. Do not venture into georeferencing, national coordinate systems, DEM editing, masks, etc right away, as you will suffer information overload like I did.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I agree with JackDownUnder, the instructions provided with the software are pretty good. But you have to follow the links in the document to other parts of the PDF to finish setting up the software by installing the utilities that it needs to be fully functional. Then you have to find your way back to the tutorial part of the document to work your way through it. I would have preferred that the documentation take me to a setup chapter straightaway, even if it is at the end of the document. It seems to me that the author preferred to link to additional setup instructions as those features were needed in the tutorial.

There is a TransDEM forum that the author runs with additional tutorials that cover even more ways to do things, but the documentation provided with TransDEM is the best place to start.

The 30-Meter SRTM DEMs (Digital Elevation Model) recommended by schweitzerdude are probably the easiest to obtain DEMs and are good for getting used to TransDEM. I found the SRTM DEMs too rough for running track through nearly level land. (And I swear that there is a 10 meter high standing wave blended into the SRTM terrain. I swore at it quite frequently.)

After you master using the SRTM DEMs, I'd recommend learning how to download the 10-Meter resolution (1/3rd arc-second resolution) DEMs from the USGS National Map Client. There are even higher resolution DEMs available, but don't try them until after you learn how to use TransDEM.

The GeoPDFs available from the National Map Client vary in quality. Some are exactly what TransDEM can use, but others need to be adjusted to match the terrain when they are imported. When it comes to raster maps it could be easier to learn how to use TransDEMs ability to receive Map Tiles.

But it all starts with the tutorial included with the program. I don't know of any tutorial that is better.

BTW, I found importing routes into Trainz 2012 easiest because it automatically paints the map image onto the terrain. You will still want to learn how to create the UTM objects because they offer much better map resolution than painting a map on the terrain.

TransDEM has a fairly steep learning curve, but you will get through it if you finish the setup instructions and do the tutorials -- referring back to them when you need to. I love being able to import terrain into Trainz.

good luck ...

I agree with Dave that the GEO PDFs vary in quality. I've also had some way off coordinates because whoever encoded the maps transposed digits in the latitude or longitude! That was quite discouraging because these particular maps were the only ones available for the region. To add insult to injury, the NGS has changed their website a gazillion times which makes coming up with a consistent process difficult. If anyone is interested, I did update my quick reference guide on how to import DEMs and map images to reflect the current changes.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I understand that there is a steep learning curve, so I will start small and "dream" big!

Thank you everyone for your comments. I understand that there is a steep learning curve, so I will start small and "dream" big!

If I may can I accompany you on this journey ?? I have taken up Trainz again after a break of some 15 - 20 years and I have a disc with a Transdem route that someone made for me. I would like to see if I can use this disc but I also intend to make up a route of the Fife, Scotland routes and include the new Leven branch line that they hope to reopen/rebuild. I know nothing of Transdem and have asked on the Deutsche forums for help. I haven't purchased Transdem yet but I have 2 tutorial/introductory lessons to through to see if I can understand anything.
craigdon

Ive just started last week! This video on Youtube, an hour long, stepped me through everything and pumped out a small DEM route at the end of it. Satisfying start! I had a bit of jumping around to make sure i had everything installed, but completed this video to satisfaction, and ill use it again when i want to go for a bigger route!

Ive just started last week! This video on Youtube, an hour long, stepped me through everything and pumped out a small DEM route at the end of it. Satisfying start! I had a bit of jumping around to make sure i had everything installed, but completed this video to satisfaction, and ill use it again when i want to go for a bigger route!

Thanks for the encouragement, I will buy my copy of Transdem as soon as. One of the tutorials I mentioned earlier was the video you have posted here. I found it pretty good but quite long and was wondering if I cdan stop and save at any time then carry when I have time ??
craigdon

Thanks for the help and encouragement. I have found a disc that was a long time ago (15 - 20 years) and I am trying to resurrect it but with limited success, hopefully this will help me along the route (so to speak)
craigdon

Hi All,
I am back again and am really struggling with getting to grips with TransDEM. I was wondering if anyone would create the route I want even for a small fee ??
craigdon

Hi all,
some regions are more straightforward than others!

the problems I find are these:-
Transdem starts with blank screen, so I have to select google maps and then zoom to the uk.
I then have a selection of mapping to choose, a lot are simply road maps with few train lines shown until you zoom in.
Because the UK lost a lot of rail lines in the 1960s, recreating these means using historical mapping - the historic mapping option doesn’t show some option, so I’m using 6 inch to the mile maps (around 1918 era). These are fuzzy as they display.

None of this is Transdem’s problem, but having to change mapping servers and scales doesn’t help the user.

Then we come to the DEM data. The OS (Ordnance Survey) have 50m LiDAR data available - this is great, but you have to download 1 zip file. Inside this zip file is a series of zip files based on the OS grid letters for the UK. Inside these zip files are a set of zip files based on the grid numbers (10km squares). These are another set of zip files and you need to extract one file for each 10km square…
I can’t process too many of these at one time!

The tutorial is good, but starts with the files you need - getting these files varies from country to country and this isn’t always straightforward.
Of course, once the DEM, maps, route are georeferenced, it all lines up.

r
Cheers,

Colin

ps Craigdon is working on Fife (Scotland) - I have some of the region mapped so we’re communicating…
unfortunately, I’m away from my PC until next week.

Last edited:
What doesn't help at all is the services have changed consistently and considerably over the years. We come up with a process that works then that's no longer the case a few months or a year later. I had put together a procedure for using TransDEM. This has worked pretty well in the past, but unfortunately, I'm not so sure anymore. This isn't Dr. Ziegler's fault because his program is the same. I can post the instructions here, and hopefully someone can find them useful.

Links to tutorials.

2 Items

Note:

I created these for use with the US National Map Server service from the National Geological Survey. Substitute your own sources for maps and data. The rest of the process will be the same.
The documents mention TS12 and T:ANE. The process is the same for TRS19 and above.

Last edited:
Hi all,
some regions are more straightforward than others!

I agree. To add to this:

Making a route in TransDEDM for someone else is full of pitfalls.

1. What data source? I only know how to use the SRTM data which for me is fine but someone might want to use more detailed data. So then depending on location, the choices get very specific. And for a prototypical route in the UK, with its long history of railways and old maps, many not georeferenced, this would be way beyond my knowledge level.

2. If I agreed to make a route for someone else, who is not sitting next to me at my computer, I probably would include more terrain than needed and let the end user trim baseboards in Trainz. Now the problem is the .cdp file for the route is too big to email.

3. I have found that creating a route is very much an iterative process. In other words, you have TransDEM open, Trainz open, and repeating the process until you get the result you want.
Doing this for someone else just seems very problematic.

Last edited:
Hi John,

I agree, the services (map servers) seem to be changing faster than I can keep up. I used to be able to use the OS 50000 scale maps, but these seem to have vanished from the available map servers. Historic mapping also seems to change - at least the access method!

I guess we’re dependent on whatever services a country/organisation can offer…

colin

What doesn't help at all is the services have changed consistently and considerably over the years. We come up with a process that works then that's no longer the case a few months or a year later. I had put together a procedure for using TransDEM. This has worked pretty well in the past, but unfortunately, I'm not so sure anymore. This isn't Dr. Ziegler's fault because his program is the same. I can post the instructions here, and hopefully someone can find them useful.

Links to tutorials.

2 Items

Note:

I created these for use with the US National Map Server service from the National Geological Survey. Substitute your own sources for maps and data. The rest of the process will be the same.
The documents mention TS12 and T:ANE. The process is the same for TRS19 and above.

Thanks for this John, it will help me to try and understand what is going on (I hope)
craigdon

@JCitron, I have had a look at your set of instructions and found it a bit too much for me. I don't think I can carry on with my original plan of creating the Thornton - Leven Branch due to the amount of work involved. I simply do not have the time to learn what is needed.
@ColPrice2002, I have had a look in the Dundee - Edinburgh ECML route and there is a fair bit of the Leven branch in there, I think it goe as far as Buckhaven and Methil (docks), but it still looks like too much work for me. I would have liked to do the branch line but who knows...
I only realised this morning that I have a great deal of work to do with instructing at the 'Shed' (Glenrothes Mens Shed) and it will suffer with the extra load I am creating for myself. I am really in a pickle about this.
Whats next for me ???
Don W

@JCitron, I have had a look at your set of instructions and found it a bit too much for me. I don't think I can carry on with my original plan of creating the Thornton - Leven Branch due to the amount of work involved. I simply do not have the time to learn what is needed.
@ColPrice2002, I have had a look in the Dundee - Edinburgh ECML route and there is a fair bit of the Leven branch in there, I think it goe as far as Buckhaven and Methil (docks), but it still looks like too much work for me. I would have liked to do the branch line but who knows...
I only realised this morning that I have a great deal of work to do with instructing at the 'Shed' (Glenrothes Mens Shed) and it will suffer with the extra load I am creating for myself. I am really in a pickle about this.
Whats next for me ???
Don W

Understood, Don. TranDem is not an a program you can learn in a minute. My directions can be taken in sections for the things you need to do.

I've been in pickles like that too even as a retiree. We're home doing "nothing", and we load up with various things thinking we have plenty of hours to do it as we forget what our workweeks were like when we were busy 40-plus hours a week.

Back