Atlas True-Track H0

sister

Co-founder TFF Italy
Hi to all the model railroads fans. Here is the start of a little project which will lead to the creation of the Atlas whole set of the true-track H0 scale. As to be the more strictly realistic as possible it was thought to realized it as fixed tracks and this is the first, still untextured, result.

This item weighs 520 polygons in LOD 0. All the items will have 3 LODs and this one, in LOD 2, will be just a simple 2 polys plane. I think the most complex one of the objects, in LOD 2, should not exceed the 20/25 polys weight. More to come soon.
Bye for now.

Works are going on.
Here below find a detail of the Atlas true track

particolare-attacco-atlas.jpg

All the 3Ds of the straights are done and so are the curves (here an example with the radius 22" 22 1/2°)
turn-22-22-5.jpg

Last for the moment is the 90° Xing here below shown with two straight 2" already jointed
Xing-90.jpg

Stay tuned for what's follow...

Very nice, I love the rail joiners. I hated those things. They would either stab the end of my finger or bend if I used needle nosed pliers to install them.

Looks good.
At some point to recreate my old layouts we need some Hornby track in the Super 4 and Series 6 style. Also Peco Streamline track and points (subject to copyright of course).
I would draw the line at the "Big Big Train" red plastic track though!

Hi Vern,
thenks for your appreciation. At the moment I'm trying to complete the Atlas series and have in queue the Lima (Italy) production as well. Sooner or later it will be possibile to add other lines.

I'm fairly sure that you do not need to create the HO Race Track Crossing. Most of the XING's already on the DLS should all inherit the track and allow a road spline to be attached, but

A slot car attached road to your HO track would look cool

HO Crossing 01.jpg

@Christopher824 Nice idea! LOL Anyway there is something I'd need: some good image of the "ballast" and the sleeper to create an usable texture for the tracks.

More or less we should have the turnout done (no textures for the moment). As I only have some catalogue pics of the objects I hope I'm doing them right... let me know about it.
Of course everything it's animated.

Turnout-L10-no-tetures.jpg

That looks like a perfect match for the Atlas True Track Snap Switch. The Custom-line version had a metal frog and didn't come with a switch machine attached so you could use an under the baseboard switch machine. But that is perfect as is.

Last edited:
That looks like a perfect match for the Atlas True Track Snap Switch. The Custom-line version had a metal frog and didn't come with a switch machine attached so you could use an under the baseboard switch machine. But that is perfect as is.

You're right but I prefered to do it in that way as there is no way to "enjoy" a under baseboard switch with Trainz. LOL Today I started with the texturing of the LOD0 and seems it's coming out nice. As I'm still out of the PBR texturing way it'll be done in the old good fashion.
Stay tuned

@Christopher824 Nice idea! LOL Anyway there is something I'd need: some good image of the "ballast" and the sleeper to create an usable texture for the tracks.

This image from Shutterstock would work well. I have already removed the Adobe stock no, resized and equalized the image. It should tile well.

Reducing the texture scale by half, and adding a small amount of blur can work for the track grooves.

The same image with a tone change would work for the ballast.

Image >
1000_F_97979261_oTft187geV2U8XDIW5ueZ1mkYx6pvcTZ.jpg

Last edited:
You're right but I prefered to do it in that way as there is no way to "enjoy" a under baseboard switch with Trainz. LOL Today I started with the texturing of the LOD0 and seems it's coming out nice. As I'm still out of the PBR texturing way it'll be done in the old good fashion.
Stay tuned

You can model under baseboard-switches.

Model the switch with two circular posts where the switch machine would attach and then the user employs an invisible switch-lever to represent the under-baseboard switch machine.

For me this is "easy" because I can't make any models. For those that create the assets the rest of us enjoy, that might be a different story. ;)

Last edited:
@Ricomon35 Thanks for the texture. I'll check which and how's better for the use in this project.
@JCitron I don't know if I'll create a underboard switch. Anyway the switch motor which is within the model is not the real switch but just a animated object to simulate the prototipe. The real switch will have to be an invisible one as you suggested. The turnout will work as the old TRS2006 Andi06's turnouts (or was TRS2004?).
It could worth to ask N3V to change the rule which says only one track for every a.track point. If you would able to attach more than one track it would be simplier to create fixed track turnouts...

First textured tryout

Ok. here is the first textured attempt with the straight 2 inches. What do you think about it?

primaprovatext.jpg

@Ricomon35 Thanks for the texture. I'll check which and how's better for the use in this project.
@JCitron I don't know if I'll create a underboard switch. Anyway the switch motor which is within the model is not the real switch but just a animated object to simulate the prototipe. The real switch will have to be an invisible one as you suggested. The turnout will work as the old TRS2006 Andi06's turnouts (or was TRS2004?).
It could worth to ask N3V to change the rule which says only one track for every a.track point. If you would able to attach more than one track it would be simplier to create fixed track turnouts...

You're welcome.

If you want the corrected, equalized and cleaned texture, PM me :)

Rico

@Sister, looks cool, the track bed might need a coat of pbr paint. After you finish up modelling “model track kits”, be ok you knock up an invisible (mocrossing) mesh for the insertion of track feed clips (Art: Fleischmann 6431).

The problem is they did and still do provide for a junction-vertices container in fixed track that indicates junction vertices and junction lever meshes. You can connect 2 out tracks to the in track at the junction vertex and trains can pass thru the junction. There is track continuity thru the junction vertex on all attached tracks. The problem is you can't attach a junction lever to that vertex and no way to switch it. You can access the fixed track junctions thru scripting and you might be able to hack something that works. I know Andi06 played around with these a lot. I think he had a way to make it work but mere mortals like us don't stand much of a chance.

I use buildables to make turnout templates based on AREMOWA, AREA and PRR standards from the steam era. Clearly these are not the same but they are also scenery with track assets that I set out in Surveyor. You then add 3 spline track segments between vertices on the template and add a switch lever. You can copy and paste any number of them which saves the overhead of connection up the 3 initial track section. Or you can do it 1 at a time. Either way you can move, rotate, roll and/or raise the template w/track into position on the layout. Delete the template and the track and lever are left behind forming a very accurate frog angle and lead (distance between the frog and switch blade points). Now add in the 2 missing track sections and you have a working turnout. At this point it's all spline track which can be procedural if you like. You can add/modify grades thru th e turnout as you like but if you try to adjust other things after that - well you are left at the mercy of manual track placement in Trainz and the accuracy of the track laid will suffer.

Maybe with S2.0 we can copy the spline track after the template is deleted and turnout completed and then paste and fine tune to a new location. I have S2.0 but just haven't found the time to try it out. Currently in surveyor I can only copy and paste the template and move it around using the scenery tools with a partially completed turnout attached to it. Once the template is removed to finish the turnout the track can't be relocated with any precision as a unit.

I'll also note the unfortunate new "feature" where existing spline track snaps to the location of the end vertex of a new section of track you are laying instead of the new end snapping to an existing one. To clarify, the starting vertex works correctly it's the end vertex that's snuffed up. In worst cases it even adds a very short track section connecting the 2 end points. To work around this feature, you have to resort to things akin to "wiring" up andi06's old turnouts. Which also has to be done with my templates because N3V won't let you connect 2 vertices in the template using a single spline section between them. But after you connect them with using 2 spline sections and delete the extra vertex you created, you're left with a single spline section between the 2 vertices. It's worked like that for 15 years, I guess.

Rant ended.

Great work on the MR track. It doesn't really work for me on my MR version of the EBTRR. I'm using procedural track to try to match the prototype. Besides I need HO, HOn3 and dual gauge versions.

Bob Pearson

The problem is they did and still do provide for a junction-vertices container in fixed track that indicates junction vertices and junction lever meshes. You can connect 2 out tracks to the in track at the junction vertex and trains can pass thru the junction. There is track continuity thru the junction vertex on all attached tracks. The problem is you can't attach a junction lever to that vertex and no way to switch it. You can access the fixed track junctions thru scripting and you might be able to hack something that works. I know Andi06 played around with these a lot. I think he had a way to make it work but mere mortals like us don't stand much of a chance.

I use buildables to make turnout templates based on AREMOWA, AREA and PRR standards from the steam era. Clearly these are not the same but they are also scenery with track assets that I set out in Surveyor. You then add 3 spline track segments between vertices on the template and add a switch lever. You can copy and paste any number of them which saves the overhead of connection up the 3 initial track section. Or you can do it 1 at a time. Either way you can move, rotate, roll and/or raise the template w/track into position on the layout. Delete the template and the track and lever are left behind forming a very accurate frog angle and lead (distance between the frog and switch blade points). Now add in the 2 missing track sections and you have a working turnout. At this point it's all spline track which can be procedural if you like. ....

Bob Pearson

I thank you very much, Bob, for your considerations and suggestions. I was keen to use the old Andi06 way to do things (3 partial tracks to be connect by user) 'couse I think is the simplier way for everyone to do it. I'll see what other I'll be able to do on the matter.

I sure hope you can get this to work. I have dozens of track plans that I've always wanted to try, but I just don't have the room, or funds to do so. Atlas had a program called Right Track, and it's only drawback was that you couldn't run trains in it. Trainz is great and all, but using Surveyor 2.0 to build a model railroad is driving me nuts. Freehand laying of track is annoying. Drop the pieces where they go is more my style.
Good Luck with the project!

@ warzog TY
at the moment there is a little stand-by due to summer (at least) vacation. I prepared all the fixed tracks in a way but decided later to change it and now they are beyond middle way to be ready.

Back