Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlas True-Track H0

Default Atlas True-Track H0

Hi to all the model railroads fans. Here is the start of a little project which will lead to the creation of the Atlas whole set of the true-track H0 scale. As to be the more strictly realistic as possible it was thought to realized it as fixed tracks and this is the first, still untextured, result.

This item weighs 520 polygons in LOD 0. All the items will have 3 LODs and this one, in LOD 2, will be just a simple 2 polys plane. I think the most complex one of the objects, in LOD 2, should not exceed the 20/25 polys weight. More to come soon.
    Bye for now.
    Roberto (sister)

Works are going on.
    Here below find a detail of the Atlas true track

All the 3Ds of the straights are done and so are the curves (here an example with the radius 22" 22 1/2°)

Last for the moment is the 90° Xing here below shown with two straight 2" already jointed

Stay tuned for what's follow...
    Roberto (sister)

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Very nice, I love the rail joiners. I hated those things. They would either stab the end of my finger or bend if I used needle nosed pliers to install them.

Looks good.
    At some point to recreate my old layouts we need some Hornby track in the Super 4 and Series 6 style. Also Peco Streamline track and points (subject to copyright of course).
    I would draw the line at the "Big Big Train" red plastic track though!
    TRS22 Standalone - Please Add Surveyor 2.0

Hi Vern,
    thenks for your appreciation. At the moment I'm trying to complete the Atlas series and have in queue the Lima (Italy) production as well. Sooner or later it will be possibile to add other lines.
    Roberto (sister)

Blog Entries

I'm fairly sure that you do not need to create the HO Race Track Crossing. Most of the XING's already on the DLS should all inherit the track and allow a road spline to be attached, but

A slot car attached road to your HO track would look cool

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

@Christopher824 Nice idea! LOL Anyway there is something I'd need: some good image of the "ballast" and the sleeper to create an usable texture for the tracks.
    Roberto (sister)

More or less we should have the turnout done (no textures for the moment). As I only have some catalogue pics of the objects I hope I'm doing them right... let me know about it.
    Of course everything it's animated.

Roberto (sister)

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

That looks like a perfect match for the Atlas True Track Snap Switch. The Custom-line version had a metal frog and didn't come with a switch machine attached so you could use an under the baseboard switch machine. But that is perfect as is.
    Last edited by wreeder; June 4th, 2022 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    That looks like a perfect match for the Atlas True Track Snap Switch. The Custom-line version had a metal frog and didn't come with a switch machine attached so you could use an under the baseboard switch machine. But that is perfect as is.

You're right but I prefered to do it in that way as there is no way to "enjoy" a under baseboard switch with Trainz. LOL Today I started with the texturing of the LOD0 and seems it's coming out nice. As I'm still out of the PBR texturing way it'll be done in the old good fashion.
    Stay tuned
    Roberto (sister)

United States of America, Oregon, Forest Grove

Quote Originally Posted by sister View Post
    @Christopher824 Nice idea! LOL Anyway there is something I'd need: some good image of the "ballast" and the sleeper to create an usable texture for the tracks.

This image from Shutterstock would work well. I have already removed the Adobe stock no, resized and equalized the image. It should tile well.

Reducing the texture scale by half, and adding a small amount of blur can work for the track grooves.

The same image with a tone change would work for the ballast.

Image >
    Last edited by ricomon35; June 4th, 2022 at 04:24 PM.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

You're right but I prefered to do it in that way as there is no way to "enjoy" a under baseboard switch with Trainz. LOL Today I started with the texturing of the LOD0 and seems it's coming out nice. As I'm still out of the PBR texturing way it'll be done in the old good fashion.
    Stay tuned
    You can model under baseboard-switches.

Model the switch with two circular posts where the switch machine would attach and then the user employs an invisible switch-lever to represent the under-baseboard switch machine.

For me this is "easy" because I can't make any models. For those that create the assets the rest of us enjoy, that might be a different story.
    Last edited by JCitron; June 5th, 2022 at 09:59 AM.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    Trainz-PLUS: 117669

@Ricomon35 Thanks for the texture. I'll check which and how's better for the use in this project.
    @JCitron I don't know if I'll create a underboard switch. Anyway the switch motor which is within the model is not the real switch but just a animated object to simulate the prototipe. The real switch will have to be an invisible one as you suggested. The turnout will work as the old TRS2006 Andi06's turnouts (or was TRS2004?).
    It could worth to ask N3V to change the rule which says only one track for every a.track point. If you would able to attach more than one track it would be simplier to create fixed track turnouts...
    Roberto (sister)

Default First textured tryout

Ok. here is the first textured attempt with the straight 2 inches. What do you think about it?

Roberto (sister)

United States of America, Oregon, Forest Grove

@Ricomon35 Thanks for the texture. I'll check which and how's better for the use in this project.
    @JCitron I don't know if I'll create a underboard switch. Anyway the switch motor which is within the model is not the real switch but just a animated object to simulate the prototipe. The real switch will have to be an invisible one as you suggested. The turnout will work as the old TRS2006 Andi06's turnouts (or was TRS2004?).
    It could worth to ask N3V to change the rule which says only one track for every a.track point. If you would able to attach more than one track it would be simplier to create fixed track turnouts...
    You're welcome.

If you want the corrected, equalized and cleaned texture, PM me

Rico