Need to reinstall TS2019, will I lose my content?

BrianPacos

Creator, BMP Trainz
I am having issues with my PC not booting and will likely need to reinstall Windows and all of my programs. In doing so will I lose all of my TS2019 content on that computer? I am not able to create CDP's of any of my custom content because the PC won't boot into Windows properly.I know opening assets to edit in Windows Explorer allows you to access the files themselves but none of my assets were opened for editing at the time my computer developed the issues. I don't upload content to the database because much of it started as payware content that I modified for personal use. I'm really praying that I don't lose years of assets.

If you have another working windows pc
you can connect the harddisk of the non-booting one
then copy over the entire "local" folder
Later when you have a new working PC, this folder can be put on the fresh PC
and you can change your path to it..
So in theory you do not have to loose anything

If you have another working windows pc
you can connect the harddisk of the non-booting one
then copy over the entire "local" folder
Later when you have a new working PC, this folder can be put on the fresh PC
and you can change your path to it..
So in theory you do not have to loose anything

It's not a theory. It actually works.

Copy the user-data folder, the Build-something folder to another PC's shared drive or directory.

Rebuild the old one and put the data back.

What Brian can do now is rename the Build-something folder to something like TRS2019_DATA, like I did) and then reconnect to that. The folder doesn't even have to be located in the users/profile/AppData directory structure. I put mine on my E:-drive for example. This is not only easy to remember where the folder is but it also makes editing content easy.

Thank you both, that was monumentally helpful. Needing to re-download every program I had is one thing, needing to recreate 2 years of content is another!

2022-04-14-231123.jpg

HI,

sorry to hear of your problems

We have an old laptop that had boot problems - using the Crucial website, I was able to identify a SSD replacement and they also have a utility to disc copy to the new SSD.
It’s really given a new lease of life to an old laptop. If you do go that route, get a larger SSD…

Colin

Back