Password Security

rhban

I recently changed my computer password - the one that gives access to what is on my own computer. An unexpected consequence of this is that TRS2022 now tells me that the route I've been working on for the last few weeks does not exist. To start with, I thought this might be yet another quirk of TRS2022, but, remembering that when you download patches, etc., you are asked for your computer password, I think that might be the reason.

I'm sure some of our Trainz experts can tell me why it is necessary for Auran to know our computer passwords, but you have to wonder how secure this is.
In the meantime, I suppose I must change my password back to the one before to see if my theory works and that miraculously my route will reappear.

Nope - Your computer access password is not - and should not - be your Trainz password (EVER!).
They are completely separate UID/ Password combos.
The password entered for your Trainz builds should be the same as the one you used to participate in this forum and to access MyTrainz.
Your (Windows?) computer login should never be used for access to other secure sites.
Probability is that you have created a new local User Account on your computer and not changed the original login account's password, which can still be accessed at login by switching to that account.
Recommend check your User Accounts' details in Windows settings. (Windows Key + i ) and then choose Accounts/ My Info. etc.

Last edited:
The patch needs to make changes to your game app. N3V is not asking nor receives your computer account password. Your computer is asking for your password to confirm you want the patch to make the changes.

Sadly, my theory proved incorrect, and Trainz is still telling me that there are no routes associated with my current filter settings. I have no idea what that means. The only change I had made was to my computer password, so it looks as if TRS2022 has arbitrarily killed the route I had been working on for weeks. I'm not sure if I have the heart to begin again.

rhban:- Next move then is to look for any additional builds inadvertently created at the time you patched.
Go to C:/Users/[Username]/appdata/local/N3V Games/trs22 (and/or) C:/Users/[Username]/appdata/local/N3V Games/trs19 to see what builds appear there. Check the path shown to your Local User Data folder in the text file named: 'userdata-redirect-map.txt' to see what builds your trs22.exe program executable sees as available to load.
The path should point to the same one listed under the Trainz Settings Install tab shown on the TRS22 launcher.
Also, check for your routes in Content Manager - using the My Content filter. That will show whether or not the Launcher is pointing to the right UserData folder.

Last edited:
Houston: I have a problem:
Screen_Shot_2022-04-11_at_12.42.04_pm.png

Now, firstly I must explain that I use Mac and haven't used Windows since I retired over 20 years ago, so some of your explanation goes over my head. Anyway, as you can see from the screen shot, Trainz thinks the game is stored at user/robban/library/containers etc.. Now, I can find Users/robban, and that folder does contain deep down a couple of other games I play, but not Trainz. From memory, the Install option has always shown this Users address, but I had never explored it before. Now, even though I clearly have TRS2022 in my computer, the "Find" function cannot find trs2022 or nv3 or anything like that. I can certainly find "Users/robban/" but that does not contain a "library" folder, so it's all a bit of a mystery. I am not sure what you mean by "Content Manager" - is that a Windows thing? The only thing I can see like that in the game is "Content Store" which does not contain my game, which I fear is lost forever in the aether.

Trainz installs two folders, the first is the application folder with the TRS22.exe. This is placed where you asked Trainz to install it. The second is the build folder placed at the location shown in Trainz settings install. This is where all content and created assets are stored. If you have a shortcut to Trainz click on its properties and select go to file location.

Edit Update: I'm not 100% up with the MacOS these days, but on Windows, the AppData folder in the Users directory on C: drive is used by N3V to store key files is typically hidden (and needs to be revealed from the File Manager's settings toolbar). On your Mac's Finder app (if that still exists) you should also be able to 'Show hidden files and Folders' so that you can view your UserData stored files. (/users/robban/library/containers/com.n3vgames.trs22 ?)
Your path for your Local data folder shown in the screenshot above indicates that the Mac does indeed have a /Users/[Username]/Library... etc. folder for the N3V apps

Content Manager - is the database utility accompanying all Trainz programs, which is accessed from the Launcher by clicking on the 'Manage Content' command button.
It allows you to view all of the content installed by Trainz on your local hard drives, as well as viewing the downloadable assets available on N3V's servers (DLS and DLC).
It contains a number of useful utilities and search filters, so you can find out more about what routes and sessions you have installed and what other assets are built-in or available elsewhere.

Last edited:
You may have done this already. If you named your route, you should be able to find it by clicking on the three dots in the Install Settings window.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-11-at-9-53-41-AM.png
w1rJ5szs
w1rJ5szs

A search window will appear.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-11-at-10-08-56-AM.png

1. Select your system hard drive or any other drive that might contain the route.
2. Enter the name of your route
3. Select the route, click open and the Trainz App will reconnect with the route
4. Reboot Trainz App

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this is not what happens. Clicking on the dots takes me to the Documents folder, which admittedly does contain some stuff (mainly about my late mother) that I didn't know was there, but nothing about TANE, Trainz, TRS and certainly no search box. I will continue to explore.
Following someone else's advice, I tried GoTo "User/robban//Library/Containers/com.n3vgames.tane/Data", but nothing happened.

I have also explored the Content Manager, and as I expected, no content created by me is listed. Somehow, I think I have managed to change to a different or earlier download of TRS22, or at least one that is unaware that I have been creating a route for over two weeks.

Not got a Mac, leastwise not one that can run Trainz doesn't work on a PPC G4 Mac, however you may find as it seems similar to the Windows setup, that if you click the three dots you should be able to see if you have more than one buildxxxxxxxxx folder, the one you are currently pointing at is probably an empty one created when you were messing with passwords, your original folder should still be intact.

Not got a Mac, leastwise not one that can run Trainz doesn't work on a PPC G4 Mac, however you may find as it seems similar to the Windows setup, that if you click the three dots you should be able to see if you have more than one buildxxxxxxxxx folder, the one you are currently pointing at is probably an empty one created when you were messing with passwords, your original folder should still be intact.

See my post a couple above this one - I've tried that, but the 3 dots don't lead where expected.

I finally weakened and began creating my route all over again, hopefully with some improvements. However, to my surprise, although it is the same build I had before (117042), the assets have changed immensely - basically, a whole heap of assets have disappeared: not only the scores that I had taken from Download Station, but loads that have been there for a long time. There are now only about 3 rail bridges: 2 plate bridges and the Warren truss bridge. There are almost no bridge supports.

I finally weakened and began creating my route all over again, hopefully with some improvements. However, to my surprise, although it is the same build I had before (117042), the assets have changed immensely - basically, a whole heap of assets have disappeared: not only the scores that I had taken from Download Station, but loads that have been there for a long time. There are now only about 3 rail bridges: 2 plate bridges and the Warren truss bridge. There are almost no bridge supports.
In addition, the bridge kit stuff has gone - I often use that to cover gaps on stations or bridges that I build.

rhban - Your old UserData folder has become disassociated with your recently patched build then, so you'll need to make sure that you visit the Updates section of Content Store to download the latest version of each of the TRS22 routes (which contained several fixes). The old folder will still be there somewhere, so keep looking!
Hereinafter, I'd recommend that you make weekly - or more frequent - backups to CDP of your current work in progress to ensure recovery in the event of a repeat. That way, the restored route and associated sessions will tell you what you need to download again.

rhban - Your old UserData folder has become disassociated with your recently patched build then, so you'll need to make sure that you visit the Updates section of Content Store to download the latest version of each of the TRS22 routes (which contained several fixes). The old folder will still be there somewhere, so keep looking!
Hereinafter, I'd recommend that you make weekly - or more frequent - backups to CDP of your current work in progress to ensure recovery in the event of a repeat. That way, the restored route and associated sessions will tell you what you need to download again.

Spent some time yesterday and again this morning attempting to install the free routes. Flrst of all, I tried to just install the ones that interest me, the ones I might like to drive some time: Edinburgh-Kings X, Edinburgh-Dundee, Cornish Riviera. Then, when I discovered I only had steam locomotives, I tried to install all of them - over half failed. Moreover, "show error" didn't work either.
BTW, I've nothing against steam locos per se - I love them in real life - but in the game, with cab view you can't see anything, and in chase view the smoke keeps blowing in your eyes so you still don't see much.

Since then, I've discovered the situation is even worse. Quite apart from the fact that I cannot find a locomotive or a signal that looks remotely like a contemporary Australian or even British one, I now find that since yesterday, my route that I only started 2 days ago, is now labelled faulty. The pic below shows only part of the recursively displayed dependencies that are missing, and yet everything was working yesterday:
Screen_Shot_2022-04-14_at_8.33.16_am.png

That would be a pity as this latest build - on the PC at least - is one of the best-performing and most stable iteration of any Trainz product we've seen to date.
Reckon it is definitely worth persevering with, if you can overcome the current blocks.
Note that several other Mac users have mentioned an inability to patch to the latest version, so Tony_Hilliam and N3V are issuing an interim work-around for MacOS installations.
(Link here...https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...beta-builds-MPS-testing&p=1921465#post1921465)
I'm sorry we are unable to reproduce the patching issue. We will need to get a new installer prepared to get you to the next build.

Here is a link to a zip file that will get you the latest Trainz Plus beta install and avoid this patching issue. Because we can't reproduce the issue we're alos not sure if you'll have the same problem with the next update.

Unzip, run the game and point your new install to the old local data folder to gain access to your existing content.​

Last edited by Tony_Hilliam; Yesterday at 04:32 PM.​
Suggest have a crack at that and see if the situation improves.
You'll still need to preserve your old UserData folder safely somewhere, and then reattach it to any successful new installation of the Trainz_Plus patch.

Back