Problem with edit and drive

lenscab

I have been trying this for two days now and still cannot figure it out, Before 22 I could use the UDS to edit surveyor and then go into driver mode to alter a schedule, test what I had altered and and also go into session editor to add a driver command, switch back into surveyor mode with UDS and save overwrite seesion and all was fine when I reloaded edit route. What happens now is, I do the previous, reload in edit route and find when I go into drive mode with UDS all my alterations have not been saved so the UDS is not working. Yet when I select my route and view sessions, drive session or edit session my alterations are there. Is there a fault or am I doing something wrong?.
Build 117092
Len

Edit route will not show alterations that got placed in the session layer. To see this open your edit session and then select the layers tab and hide the route layer. Any assets still visible will be found in a different layer.

Hi Keith, hope you are well,, The thing is Keith I cannot use Edit Route as I could which means to edit the session I have to choode the route then view sessions, open the session and make alterations then save session and then go out of session and then load route to add scenery. Even session editor alterations do not get saved. Is this the way to go now?.
Len

A lot of things are saved in the session. If you only open the route for edit you also get a new default session. All your previous info saved in the last session will be missing. Open edit session and change your layer to route layer in the layer tab. All work done will be placed in the route layer or some information will be placed in the session. When you then save you will have your work saved in the route and additional session info in the session. Edit session automatically puts you on the session layer, not the route layer. Open the session that works and go to the layer tab and merge session layer with route layer to move all assets to the route. Create a new session layer in one is not placed automatically and move it to thetop of the session layers list.

Sorry I have been slow in replying Keith I do have a good excuse but I will not go into that. I have read your advice very carefully, as I always respect what you have to say in all your posts, and made the suggestions you suggested, and it seems that there is no difference.
Please let me explain, Before this update I never used edit session, I used edit route and if I needed to add to session edits I would enter driver mode (UDS) and make the edits, then back into surveror and save. When I next loaded the route Via edit route, checked session edit and the alterations were there.
Now, I do the same thing and the alterations are not there. The only thing I can do is always to view sessions, edit session to save any session alterations via UDS which means edit route is no longer needed or a lot of going back and forth if you know you will not change any session items.
I only have the one session in the route. Could you please tell me if you can load via edit route and in the route, see change an item in session edit then save, edit route again and see the item there.? If you can I have a bug or a faulty update.
Len

Sorry, but my conclusion was wrong. I have found the mistake I made and everything is working again.

Last edited:
Edit route does not load your saved session, it creates a new one. Anything altered in the session and saved must be opened via edit session. If you alter something in the route layer, you can save the route only. Remember that once you enter via edit session you will be in the session layer and all alterations will save to the session. You need to check you select the route layer in the layers tab for assets to be saved to the route. All driver commands are in the session.

damn layers.... I never had all the problems I have now before Layers made it's appearance.

N3V should have made it an option to create a route with or without Layers.

Sorry Keith you are dead right, I dont know why I thought I always opened with edit route. I`ll put it down to old age and beg your forgivness.
Len

damn layers.... I never had all the problems I have now before Layers made it's appearance.

N3V should have made it an option to create a route with or without Layers.

You have always had that option. Place everything in the "Route-Layer".

I simply could not work without layers. They make route and session creation so much easier. Likewise I rely heavily on layers in my favourite graphics design program and in my spreadsheet program (where they are called "Sheets" instead of "Layers"). But like any tool in any software app, layers require some thought and a bit of discipline.

The main issue I and other have had with layers prior to Surveyor 2.0 was that Trainz never informed you which layer you were currently working with which led to the inevitable problem of placing objects in the wrong layer. Surveyor 2.0 has an onscreen panel/palette which identifies the "active" layer - in much the same way as my graphics program does. All it requires is a glance.

There is a Trainz Wiki page that gives the "do's and don'ts" of using layers at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers which may be of some help.

EDIT: For those having teething problems with the UDS and with Routes and Session in general, there are two other Trainz Wiki pages that may help.

UDS - at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface
Route and Session Basics - at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Route_and_Session_Basics

My thoughts.

Last edited:
Back