Possible Scam When opening route-&S22

boleyd

An Insert titled Experienced Hostler, Switching Experience, suddenly appeared after route opened. Same route a few minutes earlier did not have this interruption. I have not killed it. Does anyone know anything about this "Stuff":cool:

Railroad Definition -
What is a hostler on the railroad?

In the United States railroad industry a hostler is a train driver, a type of railroad engineer who moves locomotives in and out of service facilities.

If this is legitimate it is an incredibly dumb way of introducing "something" given today's' political and social environment!

Last edited:
Those are "levels" you earned in the game by completing certain things. Check "achievements" in the "3 line" menu (in black bar) at top of page. I think most people totaly ignore that stuff. Anyway... it's telling you what you have earned as "stars."

I do nor appreciate being upset by suddenly appearing possible attack that might be masked by "railroad terms". Now, it appears this is some kind of "achievement" thing.
I have no interest in achievements.
Crude and disturbing given my concern of clicking on any popup.

Anyhow, thank you for the explanation.

Dick, I'm 100% certain you can trust popups in Trainz. It would be high on impossible for someone to hack code into the game without N3V or us users knowing.

You are probably correct. It would take a malcontent employee to change the code.

Since this is benign it does show that it is a nice idea to introduce customers to some rail terms. Hostler is something few probably knew.

The only open question for me is - does the popup have clickable ares? Or is it just a stimulant to get the customer to lookup up a term that is germane to the hobby.

I hope my paranoid reaction did not cause the loss of an informative feature.

The only open question for me is - does the popup have clickable ares? Or is it just a stimulant to get the customer to lookup up a term that is germane to the hobby.

I hope my paranoid reaction did not cause the loss of an informative feature.

Message Popups can have "clickable areas". There are two types:-

• ones will open the previous Message Popup window (or the next one if you have already opened it). These are small left/right arrows at the bottom of the message window, and
  • ones that will open your default web browser (Firefox, Edge, Chrome, etc) and link directly to an external web page BUT that external web page can only be a thread in the Trainz Forum or a page on the Trainz Wiki. These are either graphic links or underlined text links.

Details can be found at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki...L_Asset#Adding_External_Links_to_a_HTML_Asset

I do nor appreciate being upset by suddenly appearing possible attack that might be masked by "railroad terms". Now, it appears this is some kind of "achievement" thing.
I have no interest in achievements.
Crude and disturbing given my concern of clicking on any popup.

Anyhow, thank you for the explanation.

Just be aware that you are likely to see it again. You get the a Hostler achievement at 10, 100, 1000 and 10 000 switching moves, which equate to Trainee, Qualified, Experienced and Senior Ranks. I know that this feature has been around since at least T:ANE. You may simply have not noted it. There are similar rankings for the other categories shown in this image. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back