Build Update to 117118

If you have Trainz Plus and updated from 116492 using TRS22 stream, you have patched to TRS22.
to get to Trainz Plus you need to patch using Trainz Plus stream.
You can download Trainz Plus from MyTrainz and patch again to get your Trainz Plus features.

As usual with this game, I'm confused. There appear to be four patch streams - Trainz Plus, Trainz Plus Beta, TRS22, TRS22 beta.

I am currently in Trainz Plus build 116492 (which is actually TRS22 with Surveyor 2.0). When I seek to apply the patch, it is defaulting to Trainz Plus Beta. Is this correct and what is the difference between this and Trainz Plus?

I ask as I rashly applied the SP5 update patch for TRS19 Build 114800 and managed to completely obliterate my installation, which was overwritten with a basic version of TRS22 (I don't need another, I've already got it installed!) In the case of TRS19, there was an even more bewildering array of patch streams available:
Trainz Plus (which is what mine defaults to)
TRS19 beta
MPS beta (whatever that is)
Trainz Plus beta
TRS19
TRS19 Platinum Edition
TRS19 Platinum Edition beta​

How did we end up with seven versions of the same iteration of Trainz all operating in parallel simultaneously? I guess that having only four versions of TRS22 constitutes some sort of improvement, but I have absolutely no idea which one I'm supposed to use!

Paul

Really useful to know thanks. Now I can spend a couple of evenings downloading the thing again to get my Trainz+ features back. Oh the joy of it...

As usual with this game, I'm confused. There appear to be four patch streams - Trainz Plus, Trainz Plus Beta, TRS22, TRS22 beta.

Yes, there are 4 patch streams and all of the versions I have (on 3 different computers) all appear as TRS22.exe in the N3V Games installation folders (in my case C:\Program Files\N3V Games or D:\Program Files\N3V Games) where there are two install sub folders in each (\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 and \Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022). I was also initially confused.

It is important to remember that all these versions (and streams) are the same program (TRS22.exe) regardless of whether you have Trainz Plus or TRS22 (or both). It is your username and your selected update stream that decides which features (such as Surveyor 2.0) you have.

I am currently in Trainz Plus build 116492 (which is actually TRS22 with Surveyor 2.0). When I seek to apply the patch, it is defaulting to Trainz Plus Beta. Is this correct and what is the difference between this and Trainz Plus?

I have divided my TRS22 versions up as follows.

Main Desktop Computer:
C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 - on the Trainz Plus Stream and with its desktop shortcut icon shown as "Trainz Plus"
C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022 - on the TRS22 Stream and with its desktop shortcut icon shown as"TRS22"

Main Laptop Computer
C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 - on the Trainz Plus Beta Stream and with its desktop shortcut icon shown as "Trainz Plus Beta"
C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022 - on the TRS22 Beta Stream and with its desktop shortcut icon shown as "TRS22 Beta"

Older Laptop Computer
D:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 - on the Trainz Plus Stream and with its desktop shortcut icon shown as "Trainz Plus"

I use cloud storage to transfer work files as .cdps between the different computers and installs.

So far it is working well.

Please note that there are two versions of TRS22. TRS22 Retail patched on the TRS22 Beta stream and TRS22+ patched on the Trainz Beta Plus stream.

Maybe I've gone daft, but I found this bloody confusing.

TRS19-Plus becomes TRS22.exe when updated via the Trainz Plus Beta.

So, is this TRS22? or is this Trainz Plus, or is it TRS22-Plus?

What made this confusing is I had updated TRS19-Plus to Plus Beta, and it became TRS22. After reading the post here by Tony, I checked my install and saw the TRS22 and at that point I wasn't sure what I had installed. Is there another way to make this less confusing?

Last edited:
Yes - we're now splitting the TRS22 builds from the Trainz Plus builds so in the future Trainz Plus peopel will simply patch using Trainz Plus,

We've also released a patch from TRS22 117118 to Trainz Plus 117092.

This update activates all Trainz Plus features and your launcher will show the Trainz Plus branding. Note that the title will still say TRS22 but we'll resolve that in a future update.

Yes - we're now splitting the TRS22 builds from the Trainz Plus builds so in the future Trainz Plus peopel will simply patch using Trainz Plus,

This update activates all Trainz Plus features and your launcher will show the Trainz Plus branding. Note that the title will still say TRS22 but we'll resolve that in a future update.

Thank you for the update, Tony. My launcher does say Trainz Plus now but that sure is confusing!

I think people got confused, like myself. As I have the Trainz+ stream selected but not the beta stream. And your early announcement made it seem that build 117092 was a beta build yet both Trainz+ paths got the update to this build. I get that you want to diverge the Early Access build into Trainz+ and the Retail release. And this why build 116492 is updated into the two versions.

You have to ask - were any customers lost due to this array of confusion? Were any possible sales nullified?

Does N3V track customer activity to be able to spot the loss, possibly due to "Confusion"?

Sometime a myopic focus on "improvements" fails to reveal the $$burden of implementing those "improvements".

You have to ask - were any customers lost due to this array of confusion? Were any possible sales nullified?

Does N3V track customer activity to be able to spot the loss, possibly due to "Confusion"?

There is no way of answering those questions.

New customers, buying Trainz for the very first time, would not notice any difference because there would be no difference!

Most existing customers who upgraded from T:ANE or TRS19 to Trainz Plus would see the Trainz+ logo on the launcher, as expected. My initial confusion arose simply because I upgraded from TRS19PE to Trainz Plus with the TRS22 Early Release option and noticed after the release of SP5 that both versions were installed as TRS22.exe and both had the Trainz+ logo.

After every new version of Trainz is released there are users who declare that the previous version is the best and that they will not be upgrading. Strangely, most of them will eventually start posting in the forums with the new release registered in their timeline.

Sometime a myopic focus on "improvements" fails to reveal the $$burden of implementing those "improvements".

You could take that as an argument for not making any improvements. You may have forgotten how primitive the early versions of Trainz were compared to today's versions - if that is the result of a "myopic focus on improvements" then I will be going out tomorrow and buying more pairs of glasses.

Every new release (of any software) will have a "burden" - bugs in the code ("bugs" are inevitable in software); the learning curve for new tools, techniques and technologies; users simply resisting the change ("any change"); etc . The fact that Trainz has continued its journey since 2001 while many other "games" have disappeared (remember "Railroad Tycoon" and "MS Railroad Simulator"?) should tell you that there is no "$$burden".

My thoughts.

I Don't Believe This! (face in palm).

Well, the fun and games with Trainz Plus continues; allowed the update to Build 117118 to load into my Trainz Plus game using the Trainz Plus stream. It loaded very smoothly in about fifteen minutes.
Restarted my computer and was going to run a data rebuild on Trainz Plus and, after four tries, and three restarts of the computer, cannot open Trainz Plus, not even through Administrator. (huge sigh).
Why do I have to go through this everytime an update comes down the pipe?

Is there anyone out there who can offer me some advise to get the game started again.
If not, is there anybody who who wants to purchased a slightly used railroad simulator?
Claude

If you updated to 117118 you must have used the TRS22 Beta stream, this is the retail version. TRS22+ is on the Trainz Plus Beta stream. Tony does mention a patch available to get you back onto the Plus version stream.
Tony keeps saying Trainz Plus, but it should be Trainz Plus Beta.

From his announcement of the release.

Default Trainz Plus Beta 117092 & TRS22 Pre-Release 117118
Two new patches out today, more to come tomorrow. We'll also update this page with more info a little later today.

NOTE: This is not the final build but we're getting close! The main point of this build is to enable testing of MPS by TRS22 owners, and to check out the latest content updates.

Trainz Plus Patch
Trainz Plus Beta 116912 to Trainz Plus Beta 117092 (PC) - Trainz Plus Beta patch stream

TRS22 Retail Patch
TRS22 Early Access 116492 to TRS22 Pre-Release 117118 (PC) - TRS22 Beta patch stream

Last edited:
Claude, don't give up
you are allowed more than 1 Trainz on your PC
-go to my trainz my digital downloads [TRS22 Download Page]
-download [Trainz Plus Early Access Full Installer]
-install it with another name FI: TRS22EA and try it out of the box
-if it works, go add more content you like

If you updated to 117118 you must have used the TRS22 Beta stream, this is the retail version. TRS22+ is on the Trainz Plus Beta stream. Tony does mention a patch available to get you back onto the Plus version stream.

Not true.
I read the warnings about using the correct stream and made certain that I used the Trainz Plus (not Trainz Plus Beta, not Trainz 22) only.
The main page advised me that an update was available and would I like to install update (I should have said "no") but I said install and this is where we are.

Not true.
I read the warnings about using the correct stream and made certain that I used the Trainz Plus (not Trainz Plus Beta, not Trainz 22) only.
The main page advised me that an update was available and would I like to install update (I should have said "no") but I said install and this is where we are.

Well, credit where it's due. I raised a ticket with them around 11.00 last night, and had this reply in my email this morning:

We have just today released a new patch which will allow you to patch from the TRS22 retail version to the TrainzPlus version.

You can install this patch by following these steps:

1) Double click on the TRS22 icon on your desktop
2) Click on Trainz Settings
3) Click on the 'Install' tab
4) Click on 'Change Trainz update stream'
5) Follow the prompts till you see the 'change update stream' option, then click on this
6) Click on the drop down list, and click on 'TrainzPlus', then click on 'ok' and 'done'.
7) Now click on 'check for Trainz updates', and follow the prompts to install the available update.

Took about 30 seconds to update from Trainz 22 retail, another 4 minutes or so to rebuild the databases, and is now working fine with all Trainz Plus features installed

Not true.

Perhaps I'm wrong about the build number. But I am absolutly sure I streamed to Train Plus. I can't tell what build I have now because I cannot open the darn thing.

Back