There should be a federal law against this type of railroading on American soil.

JonMyrlennBailey

It's not only a convenience issue, but it's obviously a serious public safety issue as well!! It's a train, not a streetcar!

(19) Street Running Train Causes Road Rage, Huge CSX Freight Trains On Main Street, LaGrange Kentucky - YouTube

EXTRA! EXTRA! Read all about it!

(19) Freight Trains in the US Are a Disaster Waiting to Happen - YouTube

Freight trains in the US are crashing more often, and people in the industry are worried about what comes next. VICE News' Motherboard looks into how the industry got here.

Last edited:
That is why Reno, Nevada dug "the train trench" Through the center of town and put the railroad below street level. Then they bridged all the streets across the tracks. I am sure it cost way more than most smaller towns could afford to do, but that is how they solved the problem.

It is a near certainty that the tracks were there first. Also, if railroads try to move their tracks, landowners block them as well.

Like pitkin said, the trains are usually there first. The city built around the train, not the other way around. Street running also allows for more direct access to downtown industries and communities for station stops. It’s also a classic bit of railroading.

The city then was stupid for building that way. It's just flat out dangerous and should be outlawed. Street running gets in a lot of people's way. Kentucky is not known for smart people.

So who's going to pay for the re-alignment? I'm sure the railroad wouldn't mind getting rid of that 5mph section of track, but laying new track is VERY expensive in even moderately built up areas, for what gain? No massive new industry, maybe even a loss due to the tracks getting torn up. Ill bet the city straight up doesn't have the cash to pay for it. Then consider that this very well may be one of a few routes viable for the line (this is more a nation wide thing than this instance but point stands).

"The city then was stupid for building that way" Actually at the time it was probably very good for the city. Passengers could get off LITTERALY in downtown, that street was plenty wide to have commerce flowing while the train was there/ going past, LCL freight could be delivered like a UPS truck rolling up to your house for those shops along that road, and in general people knew to get out of the way of the iron horse thundering though probably with the whistle blasting and what not. There are pros and cons, like all things, but plenty of towns in the US did this so there must have been something nice about it!

Plus, like Dartrider said, its neat and cool to see it still be a thing. its a living museum of sorts.
:p

How is it dangerous and why do we need a law?

A few towns in my area have street running. If you can't see the big choo choo or hear the horns, bells and lights, how will you see a compact car?

Much ado about your lack of driving ability.

Suffice it to say, I would try to avoid living in any such town or visiting it like the plague. Streetcars and cable cars are OK in a city. My grandmother was hit by a streetcar in San Francisco as a pedestrian before my time. She got a broken collar bone. I figure such light-weight rail vehicles as trolleys are menacing enough downtown. Kentucky is not my cup of tea anyway. It's only a matter of time that there are deadly mishaps with such street-running freight trains and there is a fat lawsuit.

Last edited:
Suffice it to say, I would try to avoid living in any such town or visiting it like the plague. Streetcars and cable cars are OK in a city. My grandmother was hit by a streetcar in San Francisco as a pedestrian before my time. She got a broken collar bone. I figure such light-weight rail vehicles as trolleys are menacing enough downtown. Kentucky is not my cup of tea anyway. It's only a matter of time that there are deadly mishaps with such street-running freight trains and there is a fat lawsuit.

This reminds me of something my dad's English teacher Mr. Percy used to recite in his class:

Mother, mother what is that it looks like strawberry jam?
Hush, hush my dear. Its paw run over by a tram.

I'd be more worried about the drivers these days and less about the railroad whose been doing this for well over a century with fewer mishaps in places like this.

As far as statistics go, the news media loves sensationalism especially when it comes to trains or anything on rails. Just the other day, they made a big thing about someone who ran a crossing and got squished. The local news media "launched an investigation" to find out why nothing was done about the crossing, blah, blah, blah, and how the local NIMBYs have complained about not being able to get to Dunk 'in Donuts in a snatch because the train is crossing the street. According to the local transit authority the gates were working at the time of the accident. In other words, one of the NIMBYs was in a rush to get their donuts and coffee and couldn't wait a few seconds for the commuter train to cross the intersection.

There are more automobile accidents than train accidents every day. I recommend watching those car crash videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
No desire to be such an activist. I just try to avoid living near such places. I lived in Boise, ID at one time. Back in 2017, a maintenance-of-way truck approached a grade crossing in that town while I was crossing in my car. The gates and signals didn't operate as the rail truck approached. I did not even see the truck coming toward me until my car was right over the tracks. Relay boxes blocked my view of this relatively small RR vehicle. No horn blowing or nothing. I think the truck had its lights on but it was during the hours of broad daylight. No collisions, gladly, but I reported this incident to the local police.

Last edited:
No desire to be such an activist. I just try to avoid living near such places. I lived in Boise, ID at one time. Back in 2017, a maintenance-of-way truck approached a grade crossing in that town while I was crossing in my car. The gates and signals didn't operate as the rail truck approached. I did not even see the truck coming toward me until my car was right over the tracks. Relay boxes blocked my view of this relatively small RR vehicle. No horn blowing or nothing. I think the truck had its lights on but it was during the hours of broad daylight. No collisions, gladly, but I reported this incident to the local police.

Generally, the MOW guys activate the crossing gates and honk their vehicle horns as they approach the gates. There was either something wrong, or the MOW dude was lazy and couldn't be bothered to press a couple of buttons in his truck to activate the warnings.

Not all are.
Some operate on a circut where it'll activate when the two rails are touched by metal and other crossings are controlled by a computer that puts in speed and other things that MOW equipment might not count for without being overridden.
This video does a good job at explaining it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qdti3atxpw

Cheers

That was a good video. My father and grandfather told me it was a simple closed circuit by a train jumpering across one rail from another. But nowadays it's more techy than that. My father was an electrician by trade and my grandfather had told me that as a young boy, he and his friends were juvenile delinquents growing up in the streets of San Francisco. They would place a metal bar across a streetcar track on purpose to hold up crossing traffic. My father said those metal boxes at RR crossings were called "relay" boxes. Being a navy electrician's mate and a household electrician, but never a RR worker, he assumed RR signaling was relay controlled. I had been fascinated by how trains worked since early boyhood. I thought a RR junction switch was a thing of magic when I was small. At age nine, I read a book from the school library about railroading. It told about classification yards and retarders to control rolling and sorted freight cars. There was a diagram of a carbody locomotive with a toilet actually at the rear of the loco. There were also two diesel motors in the cutaway drawing. Which streamlined d/e loco before 1975 had double diesel power plants and a rear toilet?

I used to ride SP/Caltrain along the SF peninsula during the 1970's through 1990's. I would wonder how the smart grade crossing signals nearby would shut off when the train stopped at the station and how they started again at the time the train was to get rolling again. I believe I saw a conductor with some TV clicker-like device in his hands to control the crossing.

Last edited:
That was a good video. My father and grandfather told me it was a simple closed circuit by a train jumpering across one rail from another. But nowadays it's more techy than that. My father was an electrician by trade and my grandfather had told me that as a young boy, he and his friends were juvenile delinquents growing up in the streets of San Francisco. They would place a metal bar across a streetcar track on purpose to hold up crossing traffic. My father said those metal boxes at RR crossings were called "relay" boxes. Being a navy electrician's mate and a household electrician, but never a RR worker, he assumed RR signaling was relay controlled. I had been fascinated by how trains worked since early boyhood. I thought a RR junction switch was a thing of magic when I was small. At age nine, I read a book from the school library about railroading. It told about classification yards and retarders to control rolling and sorted freight cars. There was a diagram of a carbody locomotive with a toilet actually at the rear of the loco. There were also two diesel motors in the cutaway drawing. Which streamlined d/e loco before 1975 had double diesel power plants and a rear toilet?

I used to ride SP/Caltrain along the SF peninsula during the 1970's through 1990's. I would wonder how the smart grade crossing signals nearby would shut off when the train stopped at the station and how they started again at the time the train was to get rolling again. I believe I saw a conductor with some TV clicker-like device in his hands to control the crossing.

Your father and grandfather are both correct. The trolley system probably used a simple short-circuit type switch since that's all that was required for them at the time. There is something mentioned in an old electrical engineering book that belonged to my great grandfather on that. The book also showed how the switches worked including switching the power to another line above. There are actually small switches up on the wires to do that too in some instances.

As you said, things have gotten more complex over the years. The boxes next to crossings and for the signals are in fact relay cabinets. Depending upon how complex things are, there can be racks upon racks of relays in there. Today, many of these old mechanical relays are being replaced with digital circuit boards that do the same thing. The maintenance is a lot less since the boards can be pulled and replaced easily and brought back to the shop for repair or return to the manufacturer for repair.

On the 1984 NMRA tour in Boston, we got to visit Conrail's Selkirk yard out near Albany, NY. During the tour, I saw racks upon racks of circuits for various things including those for the relay cabinets to be used for replacements. We were told that the boards that are bad are sent back to the manufacturers on an ongoing basis when they got enough of them to make up a shipment. When I saw that, I said I could probably fix those boards if I had a jig and schematics. The manager giving us the tour looked at me and his eyes lit up. Seriously, I was an electronics tech back then, even traveled to Chicago to do a field service call at Walgreens and got a trip to Taipei too to setup a pilot run of new products. When I said that, I was offered a job on the spot to work for Conrail, but I declined rather foolishly. The company I worked laid nearly everyone off including myself 3 years later and went out of business a short time later.

It is possible that the conductor used a radio controller to control the crossings from the train. I've seen that before and if you look closely near the crossings, you'll sometimes see an antenna as well. Today, that's most likely done via signals sent to the circuits through the tracks. The controllers, being digital today, can receive specific codes, not much different than what we use for DCC in locomotives. A specific code can activate or deactivate the crossings. A number of years ago, I saw the engineer in the cab car of one of the commuter trains do that. He pressed a switch on his console and the gates came up while he sat there at the station.

I just love it when someone still young comes along and says the train is the problem not the road driver. The railway and railways in general have been around a lot longer than the motor car. and had and still have rights of way (permanent way) It is calld that for a reason. Please learn your history before commenting on what happens now which has become a problem for car traffic. Over here in the UK we call them NIMBY's Not In My Back Yard.

Having lived west of the Rockys in America, I have yet to see a freight train run down the middle of a city street. Perhaps, I perceive it to be much more dangerous than it really is. It could be a real hazard if the train holds up emergency vehicles. I suspect that oncoming trains do have to yield to automobiles in the street already. The trains running this particular street in Kentucky are going both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUX9kr4D1Xg

Last edited:
Having lived west of the Rockys in America, I have yet to see a freight train run down the middle of a city street. Perhaps, I perceive it to be much more dangerous than it really is. It could be a real hazard if the train holds up emergency vehicles. I suspect that oncoming trains do have to yield to automobiles in the street already. The trains running this particular street in Kentucky are going both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUX9kr4D1Xg

Oh, you are so, so wrong. I've found places where there is street running west of the Rockies and surprisingly most of it is in California. Here's an example of it at the extreme, not far from where you lived from the '70's to the '90's: Jack London Square in Oakland, California. This is on Union Pacific's mainline between Los Angeles and the Canadian border and is a triple-track line thru this section of street running. Also, this track cannot be moved because there's an Amtrak station served by intercity and state-funded passenger trains just to the north end of the street-running. Surprised you checked it out while you lived there, or was that before you got into trains.

Back