Tutorial: Making a Surveyor 2.0 scrapbook content item that others can use

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
TRS22 has a great new Surveyor feature called Scrapbook that allows you to copy a specific scene in one route and paste it to another different route. This is very handy and can save you a lot of time when creating routes. Did you know though that you can also upload that same scrapbook content item to the DLS so that others can use it as well? This short tutorial will show you how to do it.

What is a scene? It is a collection of content items, textures and splines that makes up a specific scene which you have detailed on a route. Examples of this would be an industry complex, a neighborhood, a coal mine, a farm, etc. For this example, I will use a drive-in movie theater scene I created on one of my routes consisting of a collection of items that I had created separately and uploaded to the DLS.

Tutorial assumptions:
1. You want to copy a collection of content items on your route consisting of ground textures, content items and splines and share it with other Trainz users.
2. All the items you want to copy are available for download on the DLS. Do not include any items that are either payware or not available from the DLS.
3. You know how to edit a Config.txt file.
4. You have TRS22.

Step 1:
Start Trainz, select Driver/Surveyor and then select the route you want to copy your scene from and then click the Edit Route button on the lower right of your screen.

Step 2:
Navigate on the route to where the scene is located that you want to add to your scrapbook.

Step 3:
Click the Marquee Tool. Now while holding the left mouse button down drag the selection box around everything you want to copy. Important note: The selection box will adhere to the underlying route grid and cannot be rotated. Items that are selected will show as highlighted in green. Now copy these selected items to the scrapbook by using the Ctrl C key combination. The item should now be copied to your scrapbook. Now edit the default name to whatever you want by clicking the name box and changing the name. When you have completed this process, it should look something like what you see in the following screenshot:

Tutoral-1.jpg

Step 4:
To use this scrapbook item, select a different route in Surveyor to edit and then navigate to where you want to add the scene. Before pasting the scene into the route be sure to first alter the Filter settings to limit what you want done. As an example, I changed the Ground Height setting to None and the Effect Layer setting to Add. After you have edited the filter setting use the Ctrl V key combination to paste the scrapbook scene into the route. It should look something like this in this screenshot:

Tutorial-2.jpg

Step 5:
The scrapbook item will now show up in your Trainz content manager where you can edit and work with it as you would any other Trainz content item. After editing it you can then upload it to the DLS as you would any other Trainz content item. The scrapbook content item is very bare bones in the config.txt file so I would suggest you add the following code fields, suitably modified for your own use, to it:

Code:
description                             "A complete drive in movie theater with all the trimmings."
license                                   "Any route you produce that uses this scrap book asset must be uploaded to the Auran DLS only and must be freeware."
category-keyword                   "movie;theater;msgsapper"
category-region                      "US"
category-era                          "1950s;1960s;1970s;1980s;1990s;2000s;2010s"

Some tips here:
1. Replace the thumbnail image auto generated by Trainz when you copied the scene to the scrapbook with a better one.
2. Be sure the username field in the config.txt file matches with what you edited the scrapbook name to be.
3. All scrapbook items you have downloaded from the DLS need to be pinned if you intend to keep them. If you do not do this the item will be auto deleted from Trainz after five days. To pin an item, be sure to first scroll to the scrapbook item you want to pin, and then click the pin icon. The item will now be kept permanently.

For more detailed information on this and other Surveyor 2.0 tools see this link:

https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs/surveyor20

If you want to see an example of a scrapbook item on the DLS, see and download my <kuid:439337:108277> SAP_Drive_In_Movie_Theater item.

I look forward to seeing and using great well detailed railroad scenes from you all on my routes!

Bob

Last edited:
Nice tutorial Bob thanks
as you discovered the hard way, the selector cannot be rotated
so it might be easier to make scrapbooks by placing the items 100% aligned to the basegrid
then make a scrapbook

Nice tutorial Bob thanks
as you discovered the hard way, the selector cannot be rotated
so it might be easier to make scrapbooks by placing the items 100% aligned to the basegrid
then make a scrapbook

That is a good suggestion, if you are able to use it.

For my example I used a drive-in movie theater scene from an existing route. In that case the theater was not aligned with the grid.

In such cases as this, where you intend to share it with others as I did, I would suggest you paste the scene to a a test route, rotate the pasted scene so that it aligns with the grid, and then re-copy the scene.

Bob

Thank you for the tutorial.

Scrapbook items can be rotated after pasting if they are not deselected.

While still selected, use the adjustment tool to rotate or even raise the assets as needed.

Quick question: Since Scrapbook is version 5.0, will scrapbooks created work to download and install into TRS19SP2, or are they only good for TRS22? I have already found Auran assets that are version 5.0 but don't seem to be compatible with TRS2019 SP5.

Quick question: Since Scrapbook is version 5.0, will scrapbooks created work to download and install into TRS19SP2, or are they only good for TRS22? I have already found Auran assets that are version 5.0 but don't seem to be compatible with TRS2019 SP5.

The short answer is I don't know. You can try and download my scrapbook item from the DLS and see what happens.

FYI I am in the Trainz Plus program and currently have Trainz Build 116492 installed.

What is your build number?

Bob

I have a Scrapbook question: In Surveyor Classic, you know that the paste area will be the same size as the copy area. This is useful because almost always I want to paste an identically sized scene. But in Surveyor 2.0, there is no indication when selecting, what the dimensions are, and since you need to select an area to paste, you don't know how big the selection should be. I thought of laying down rulers, both in the copy area and paste area (a lot of work), or going to wireframe view and counting the grid squares (a lot of work as well). What is needed is an indication of the size of the selection area of the marquee.

Anyone out there come up with a solution that I haven't thought of?

I have a Scrapbook question: In Surveyor Classic, you know that the paste area will be the same size as the copy area. This is useful because almost always I want to paste an identically sized scene. But in Surveyor 2.0, there is no indication when selecting, what the dimensions are, and since you need to select an area to paste, you don't know how big the selection should be. I thought of laying down rulers, both in the copy area and paste area (a lot of work), or going to wireframe view and counting the grid squares (a lot of work as well). What is needed is an indication of the size of the selection area of the marquee.

Anyone out there come up with a solution that I haven't thought of?

In Surveyor 2.0, you can adjust the size of the square or circle by changing the size percentage. There are other adjustments there as well including angle if you want to adjust that too and even scale to spread out the assets so they're not so crunched up.

Bob, I am at build 116678, which is TRS19 Platinum SP5. I downloaded the drive-in theater, and it shows as OK (except Preview Asset does not work. I get a white screen and all the values are zero), so I will try placing it in a surveyor session and let you know. I tried downloading Hiawathamr's scrapbook assets, but I am ending up missing several Auran assets, which I suspect are probably TRS22. The same thing happened with the new UMR 2022 sessions, so I think there is going to be a lot of trial-and-error, as it seems some version 5 is OK for TRS19SP5 and some is not if it is TRS22. Or, it could be they are using Auran DLC assets from the new routes, in which case they would show up as unknowns.

I tried downloading Hiawathamr's scrapbook assets, but I am ending up missing several Auran assets, which I suspect are probably TRS22.

Folks, do NOT include assets that are not on the DLS. That is the only safe way to do it that to ensure everyone with the appropriate build number can use what is contained in the scrapbook item.

Bob

Well, I think I may have answered my question. Since Scrapbooks are a Surveyor 2.0 function, I am now thinking they may only be available to Survayor 2.0. I tried to see if I could place the Drive-in Theater into a TRS19 SP5 route, but the only things I find under objects are the component parts (screen, concessions, speakers) that I had before, and the fence under splines. So it looks like even though I have the scrapbook in CM, no faults or errors, it does not look like it is available in the Classic Surveyor to try to place it anywhere. I assume that if someone put it in a version 5 route available to TRS19, it might be there OK, but I can't try that, as I don't have 22 yet.

Well, I think I may have answered my question. Since Scrapbooks are a Surveyor 2.0 function, I am now thinking they may only be available to Survayor 2.0. I tried to see if I could place the Drive-in Theater into a TRS19 SP5 route, but the only things I find under objects are the component parts (screen, concessions, speakers) that I had before, and the fence under splines. So it looks like even though I have the scrapbook in CM, no faults or errors, it does not look like it is available in the Classic Surveyor to try to place it anywhere. I assume that if someone put it in a version 5 route available to TRS19, it might be there OK, but I can't try that, as I don't have 22 yet.

The scrapbook function is only available in the Surveyor 2.0 interface. It is not available in the Surveyor Classic interface.

I am not a real fan of the Surveyor 2.0 interface, which is rather cluttered, so I find myself switching to the Surveyor Classic interface for most things when I edit a route and only using Surveyor 2.0 for those specific things that you can only do there.

Bob

In Surveyor 2.0, you can adjust the size of the square or circle by changing the size percentage. There are other adjustments there as well including angle if you want to adjust that too and even scale to spread out the assets so they're not so crunched up.

John: The Tool Options you refer to seem to work only with the brush tool, not the marquee tool when it's time to paste. What am I missing?

As I have been using the scrapbook feature and I have ran into a problem that you need to be aware of when pasting you scrapbook item into your route in Surveyor 2.0.

When I paste the scrapbook item into my route I find that when I attempt to rotate the scrapbook item, and its contents, it tends to wipe out items that are nearby such as splines or objects during the rotation process.

An as example I pasted my supermarket_1950s into a route and then rotated it which wiped out some nearby roads and intersections. I tried different filter settings for the scrapbook item prior to pasting but there was no change.

Here is a screenshot showing the issue. Notice the arrow pointing to the deleted road spline section and also an intersection has been deleted as well among other items.

Scrapbook-wipe-out-ss.jpg

The bottom line here is that you are going to have to be aware fitting in a scrapbook item in a tight space on your route, such as an urban area, may cause some issues when you attempt to rotate the item.

Bob

Back