Western digital cavial harddrive SE16 500gb 5000AAKS sata 2 problems can anyone help?

overmars

As many of you know i have Windows Vista now ive had this sata 2 hard drive for 2 weeks now and had nothing but problems with it makeing funny clicks strangely powering down. When im playing TC the hard drive clicks and everytime it dose trainz freezes for 3 seconds?.Now i havnt got the drivers for this drive as thay are installed on Vista.My motherboard is a Asus M2N SLI Deulux.Now im not sure what to do if its the motherboard or the actual so im seeking some advice as ive reasearched this quite a bit on the net.

Oh yea i dont really wana send the drive back to overclockers as i have Vista installed on it.

Please help overmars

Are the data cables well and truly secure with retaining clips? SATA cables are notorious for coming loose.

Cheers
Dave

The flatter wider end is the one that is susceptable to coming loose. More recent cables have a metal spring clip thingy built into the end piece that makes sure it doesn't come loose.

The test is to plug it in then give it a bit of a pull. If it comes out without you having to squeeze the retaining clip first then it's probably too loose.

Of course the problem may be something else entirely. :)

Cheers
Dave

Na no spring on the conectors here :( Would say that these cips are just as usless a ide pins. Ive wasted 2 hard drives and 1 dvd drive beacuse of the stupid pins.

Hi Overmars,

Have you checked your power management settings? It could be that your hard-drive is shutting down to conserve power, then when it needs to be accessed from Trainz you get the 3 sec. power-up pause.

I might be totally off target, but it's worth a look :)

Hope this helps.

Ali (Gotty)

Hi Overmars

I have Trainz running on a SATA 2 hard drive and it does not make funny clicks on mines and my SATA cable has spring clips built in.

1. Try another SATA Cable

2. Try the suggestion Gotty has told you in the above post

3. Try testing it on a another PC

I doubt that the hard drive is faulty.

Regards

Ahsan:)

Last edited:
In the control pannel there is a power options in Vista and i always have it on high performance.Not sure there is any other power options????
will research on the net.

Yea i tried another cable the other day still no luck.

And this is the only 64 bit pc i have in the house.

In the control pannel there is a power options in Vista and i always have it on high performance.Not sure there is any other power options????
will research on the net.

Yea i tried another cable the other day still no luck.

And this is the only 64 bit pc i have in the house.

Trying the hard drive on a another PC will then tell you if the motherboard is faulty or not.:)

Download WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows utility and run a test on the drive, at least if it is reporting SMART problems, you will have an idea what is going on.

Hi there gebts we have some very good news here tonight.

I downloaded a beta driver JMicronJMB363_RAID_V11764 wich i really shouldnt have as the drivers are all ready installed on vista? know all is fine havnt herd a sound out of the hard drive all day touch wood oh better not do that it may pack up completly :wave:

But now i have another problem.Wich if i dont find a solution then i will post a new thread.
Cheers mr.den yup had that program for ages:)

Cheers very much for the replys here

Back