Help with TurfFX settings

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
I am playing with TurfFX grass. I go into Surveyor and add an effect layer and name it. I fill an are to apply the grass and it shows up. I edit the layer and make it the perfect grass that I want. I then create a TurfFX asset, then edit it. Then here comes the problem;

The Surveyor settings look nothing like the config.txt settings. So how do you translate the Surveyor settings into the setttings needed for the config.txt of the new grass?

Here is a picture of what each look like;

TurfFX Settings 01.JPG

For TurfFX, Clutter and now the new water effects layer (in the SP5 Trainz Plus and possibly TRS22) I ignore what I see in the config.txt files and work only with what is available in Surveyor. Remember that TurfFX and the others are an Nvidia, not an N3V, product so who knows what is going on.

For TurfFX, Clutter and now the new water effects layer (in the SP5 Trainz Plus and possibly TRS22) I ignore what I see in the config.txt files and work only with what is available in Surveyor. Remember that TurfFX and the others are an Nvidia, not an N3V, product so who knows what is going on.

There is an answer. There is a way to edit the config.txt to manipulate the effect so that when I need a specific effect, I call the right asset, within Surveyor, so I don't have to set the settings manually for each specific type of effect.

The person(s) at Trainz that built the interface in Surveyor have knowledge of this, maybe thay have the Nvidia API handy and built in the features to the Surveyor tool that use the effect. Just would like to know what was the conversion to take the Surveyor numbers, and convert them to the config.txt (or vice versa) of the custom TurfFX assets.

Someone knows the answer. Please PM me if it's secret and you would not like it to become public knowledge. Any and all effect assets I will create with it will be on the DLS, Free for all Trainz users.

So continuing the quest to create TurfFX assets, I have figured out some of it. There is no conversion as my original question was asked, and this is what I found out. You need 2 assets to create the saved settings of of a TurfFX effect with these key tags;

#1) kind 'turffx'

Code:
kind                                    "turffx"
category-class                          "FF"

#2) kind 'TURF'

Code:
kind                                    "effect-layer-preset"
category-class                          "TURF"
effect-type                             "turffx"

effect-properties
{
  turffx-asset                          <kuid:(kuid of #1)>

These two assets contain all the information needed for the effect. One does not directly convert to the other, they are two differnt types (so one question answered)

#1 contains the geometry of the style of the effect, and #2 contains the size, actions and how its rendered. So #1 could be a dried out strand of wheat, and #2 is how tall, how much is sways in the wind, etc.

In Surveyor you are dealing with #2 and I am not finding a way to use the asset I created with SP4 somehow. The interface may have changed, or I made the asset from scratch from some wiki or tutorial, and now I can't find it, except in CM, or use it anywhere. I thought SP4 had a button to save the 'TURF' setting thus creating a new 'TURF' asset, but I could be wrong.

If I can find a way to load the 'TURF' 'effect-layer-preset' in Surveyor, I can easily write a wiki page explaing how to do it start to finish.

Last edited:
Back