Sunken roads

hutten

Hello,

Somewhere along the way of all the updates of TRS19, the level of the road splines was lowered. Yes there were many roads around that hovered above the terrain, and this led to complaints. Some road assets did nicely match the terrain level, however. In some of the routes that I like, such assets were used, and those roads have now (partly) sunk below the terrain.
Correcting these would be a lot of work. Is there a way to set the spline points of the road to the terrain height? In other words, is there a way to set relative spline height (at 0.0)?
No, Smooth Spline is not an option; it destroys the terrain and its effect is far too "wide", sometimes leading to burying of tracks nearby.

Regards,
Paul

hi Paul
Are you sure its the height of the road?
it could be the height of the (PBR) groundtexture
sadly there is no bulk change properties (as I(and others) have suggested)
you can only do 1 section at the time

Hi G.M.,

Thanks. I knew it would not work the easy way.
I would be happy to do one section at the time if only I could use a fixed value (e.g. relative height). That would mean just clicking on each spline point. But the way it is now, one has to find the height value for each spline point. They are all different because the road is in undulating terrain.
The solution therefore is to replace the road with another road spline which is higher above the terrain.
I have just done a comparison of various roads on an empty baseboard. The differences between them in terms of height are large. I think I have found a replacement that will work. It is even on the DLS.
I am about to give it a try on the route.

Regards,
Paul

another test i always do with every beta
lay a bit of track (or road) then place standard ground texture and a little further place pbr ground texture
there is unfortunately too much height difference

Hi G.M.,

In my case it has nothing to do with the textures. The routes are from the TRS06 - TS12 era...
To take these old but amazingly beautifully detailed routes to the current standard, I have replaced over 400 different types of trees in the past two weeks, one by one. Must have spent around 80 hours on that.

Vriendelijke groet,
Paul

Haha Paul, i do the same, only using old routes and make them work again in TRS19
-Gare du Nord-Creille
-Gare Montparnasse - Tours
-Muldenthalbahn
-Wirtschaftwunder
these perform so good because they were made within the limitations of 10 year ago
and are all gems

Hi G.M.
We are getting off-topic...
I conclude by saying that these old routes perform well because they are "narrow". Gare du Nord - Creil: I regret that I never purchased the FET Kit Decor 03.

Regards,
Paul

Paul,

This is because N3V finally fixed the issue with floating roads we had back in the olden days. The result is new roads work fine, but older ones are now sunk into the ground because we manually adjusted the height, so they didn't float.

You can try removing the fixed height by clicking on the tool for that located under the advanced tools pull-out down in the lower right corner. This has some good results, but you'll run into issues with level crossings and intersections that are set at the older height. The other option is to replace the roads with something modern and also adjust the height and replace the intersections.

In either way, it's still a manual operation; been there and done that.

John,

Thanks for your reply. I found a nice-looking road that is at a higher level and the result is simply very good. The replacement was sufficient, not a single spline point had to be touched. So I consider this problem solved.

Regards,
Paul

Hello,

Somewhere along the way of all the updates of TRS19, the level of the road splines was lowered. Yes there were many roads around that hovered above the terrain, and this led to complaints. Some road assets did nicely match the terrain level, however. In some of the routes that I like, such assets were used, and those roads have now (partly) sunk below the terrain. Regards, Paul
I found a nice-looking road that is at a higher level and the result is simply very good. The replacement was sufficient, not a single spline point had to be touched. So I consider this problem solved, Regards, Paul
I have exactly the same problem on a very large route, (700+ boards) that was converted from TS2010 to TS2012, then Tane, then TS2019. It would take me weeks & weeks to try and fix the roads heights manually.

I would be very interested to read how you where able to fix/solve the problem, please. Could you give us the "nice-looking road spline" name/kuid you have found that you are using to solve the problem. Many thanks.

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Back