AI trains

rhban

I've never been really interested in driving trains. I like to watch them and with Trainz and TANE, I set all my trains going with the AI and watched them. With the new TRS2022, however, I cannot find a way to do this. I did eventually find a familiar looking page with "Driver, Driver Rules" etc. but there were no actual drivers there and no rules either.. So, please, please, can someone tell me how to use the AI in 2022.

If you can do it in TANE you can also do it in TRS22
Find Edit session in the menu
and you can add/change drivers, driver commands and rules just like you did in TANE
give each train a driver and some commands
save and play your session

I will try again, but the last time I found Driver and Driver Rules, etc., there were no drivers or rules there. Sigh: getting ready to try again.

When you say "I set my trains going with the AI" - Do you mean simply giving driver commands like "Navigate To" or making Sessions in the session editor? TS22 is the same a 19 in both respects/ Perhaps you went from "Standard" 19 to 22 with "UDS"?? If so you can still issue driver commands in Driver just like in '19 so I guess I don't understand the issue.

I've just had another look. Yes I can reach the driver menu page using the Edit Session from the drop down menu at the top of the page, but I can't do anything with it except edit what is there. If I go to Driver, right click and pick Edit Rule, I can see the rule states add a new driver to each new vehicle - something I find faintly annoying as I often have 2 or more locos to a train and only want a driver in one, and I certainly don't want a driver in an empty train in a siding that's just there for scenery. I also looked at the Driver Rules and did add Drive To.
However, that is irrelevant. What I can't find the part where I get to tell the driver, installed in a locomotive, what to do. So far, I have only placed one locomotive, but it still doesn't have a driver in it.

Driver Setup=
Untick all the boxes except the top one. If you have no drivers then add one or delete all the drivers except one. Click on vehicle or the name of an engine next to the driver icon and select your engine. In the black window click on the two downward-pointing arrows and select your driver command.
Driver Command=
To add driver commands to the list open driver command and tick the commands you want to use and they will appear in the drivers selection list in driver setup.

This appears to be the problem: the Driver thing does not open except for Edit. I can click on it, but nothing happens. There is no driver list and no driver, and even though I can see the rule about every new loco gets a driver, mine don't. I'm am becoming very disenchanted with TRS2022, although I am assuming there is something wrong with my copy. Wish I hadn't spent the money now.
There are no boxes to untick or tick. No drivers to add or delete. What you descibe, I used to be able to do with TANE, but not this.

This appears to be the problem: the Driver thing does not open except for Edit. I can click on it, but nothing happens. There is no driver list and no driver, and even though I can see the rule about every new loco gets a driver, mine don't. I'm am becoming very disenchanted with TRS2022, although I am assuming there is something wrong with my copy. Wish I hadn't spent the money now.
There are no boxes to untick or tick. No drivers to add or delete. What you descibe, I used to be able to do with TANE, but not this.

Try this instead. This is actually the "old-fashioned way to edit and create a session.

Go back to the Driver and Session menu.

Highlight your route.
Click View sessions.

If there are no sessions, click Create Session, else click on Edit session.

For a new session, setup your region, etc. This is all the same as in TANE.

On the same menu, you can then edit session. It's here you should be able to edit the Driver setup just like in TANE.

There are other settings such as remove existing drivers, etc., but leave those settings alone until you setup your driver instructions.

Even with the UDS Driver/Surveyor thing, I still setup sessions the old-fashioned way. I believe in KISS.

Thank you, but really you seem to be giving me the same advice as Stagecoach, only in more detail. I can do all of the above until I get to the Driver Setup page. I can edit the rules - in fact, I've already edited the Rules by adding Drive To, which tends to avoid my trains running miles round the entire circuit just because they get held up for a second, but what I can't do is get Driver to work. Its rule is clearly stated: it will add a driver to any new vehicle or I can change a driver, but none of this works. In fact, it doesn't do anything. There are no drivers there, and my single locomotive is still driverless.

rhban, if you want to just sit back and watch trains, here's some tips. You can ctrl+right click a locomotive to see its options panel. From there, you can press "drive" and it will drive on its own provided it is not stopped by other trains, switches or signals. Enjoy!

Ah, that would be great, except I want it to go the correct way at points (switches) and to stop at stations.
I am beginning to regret having signed up for gold card - I may be stuck with a defective version of Trainz for the rest of my life!

Ah, that would be great, except I want it to go the correct way at points (switches) and to stop at stations.
I am beginning to regret having signed up for gold card - I may be stuck with a defective version of Trainz for the rest of my life!

Don't give up yet. Something isn't right here. You are not the only one who had this problem, but I can't remember the resolution.

Of all things mentioned, have you tried a database repair?

Close TRS22 back to the Launcher.
Click on Developer and choose Repair Database.

The process can take a few minutes or a bit longer depending upon how much content you have installed.

This usually fixes weird things like basic commands being greyed out.

Once done, let us know the results.

If you want, send me your route and I'll take a look at it. PM me a link to a share on google drive, one-drive, or something similar.

OK. I assume you meant click "Trainz Settings", which leads to a choice of Ten, Install, MyTrainz & Dev.
Dev leads to User ID, Daily backups to keep, Time scaling, Debug render, Compatibility mode (all filled in) plus
Enable advanced debug tools
Show script exception notifications
Log script output
Log script message handling.
I don't see Repair Database here or on any of the other choices, and I don't know how to put my route on google drive or anything else (that's if I can remember where Mac stores routes - I used to know, but I had an earlier Mac then. which I understood!

On the Mac when you're at the Launcher, up the top is the Developer menu. This has the Repair Database option. I doubt it will help but it won't hurt.

Can you add some screenshots (you'll need to upload to a file hosting site to link to them). This may help us identify what you're seeing as it sounds different to anything I've seen.

Also, in Driver, the "Driver Command" mode is toggled by clicking on the three dots bottom right.

OK. I assume you meant click "Trainz Settings", which leads to a choice of Ten, Install, MyTrainz & Dev.
Dev leads to User ID, Daily backups to keep, Time scaling, Debug render, Compatibility mode (all filled in) plus
Enable advanced debug tools
Show script exception notifications
Log script output
Log script message handling.
I don't see Repair Database here or on any of the other choices, and I don't know how to put my route on google drive or anything else (that's if I can remember where Mac stores routes - I used to know, but I had an earlier Mac then. which I understood!

No, not there.

Right on the Launcher at the top is File, Edit, and Developer. It's located under Developer; the third item from the top.

You need to go into Content Manager (Manage Content) on the Launcher. Do this after the repair...

Search for your route and your session. Click on Install and scroll that to show My Content.

Right-click on the route and choose Export to CDP.

Repeat the same again on your Session.

I said Google drive as an example. There are many other services for that. We'll get there when you need to.

OK, now you've explained where to look, I have now managed to Repair Database, but I couldn't find the three dots in Driver.
I wanted to send photo shots before, but I couldn't remember how I used to do it. I remember now, I used Photo Bucket. I wonder if that's still going. I'll look into it.

Screen_Shot_2022-02-02_at_12.59.42_pm.png

This is the only Driver page I can find. With the older versions, I would click on the top icon and, according to the rule, a driver would already have entered my latest locomotive or I would find a list of drivers to choose from. With this, clicking achieves nothing, Right clicking does allow me to edit the rule, although, from memory, I was able to stop driver automatically entering new locos from (I think) one of the other rules. Anyway, at present nothing happens, and of course it looks nothing like the brand new Driver that apparently came in with TRS2019 - and that's why I can't see 3 dots.
As I've said above, I've already done the Repair Database thing.

I still don't understand if you just want to Drive a Loco in Driver or if you are setting up a session. You have the 3 dots when you just Drive. Launch the game, launch a session, go into Driver to drive. You then have the Driver interface at the bottom with the HUD that show Track Profile and Driver controls.

So you can "Drive with AI" in an active session by using Driver commands (Such a "Drive To") -or- you can edit the session and do full sessions and save them. It is unclear to me what you are wanting to do.

Your photo shows the session editor. That's much different than just going into Driver and issueing Driver commands and allowing AI to drive.

Back