Windows 11

stouthm

Get over it
OK to install? I haven't received any notifications about upgrading yet on my desktop but my wife did on her laptop and I didn't know enough info to say yes or no. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have been advised not to install by my service tech.
Run the MS compatibility check.

No problems here,everything that worked in 10 works in 11.
It won't offer to install in Windows Update unless the PC is compatible, as for software it's basically Win10 with a changed UI and new security features that only work with newer CPUs.

Use Microsoft's PC Health Check to see if the Computer is Win11 Compatible or not or what may need enabling in the bios such as TPM and secure boot. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...heck-app-9c8abd9b-03ba-4e67-81ef-36f37caa7844

not sure since here on TS2009 it killed some Hornsounds for example i have to get to a certain distance to here the hornsound at full volume

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to call the people who built my computer and get their input. I might have to upgrade something to get 11 so I'll ask them their opinion.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to call the people who built my computer and get their input. I might have to upgrade something to get 11 so I'll ask them their opinion.

It requires a particular CPU eg something 8th gen or later in intel terms and a particular boot up (UEFI, Secure Boot capable). If you need to upgrade something it will be the motherboard and CPU. Your wife's machine probably has the later CPU and secure boot feature. I have one machine that will run win 11 and a number that won't. My personal view is unless you have a need for very high security now is not the time to buy a new machine if the existing one won't run it. Check in windows update it will probably tell you.

Cheerio John

There are some weird differences you may have to work around. You lose a lot of the right-click menu context, so if you are used to doing right-click to delete, rename, edit with Notepad++, etc, there is a reg hack to get that back (I think it is there under "more options", but that is another move you have to make). Also, if you are used to right-clicking the taskbar to bring up Task Manager, that is gone. I now have a desktop icon for that. I also have one for sound settings because that is not the same. And the start menu is more of a pain, and I have had to manually add things like OneNote, Control Panel, and others to make them handy. So yes, Windows 11 works great, but as always, they have to make really annoying changes to the way you are used to doing things and you have to come up with workarounds.

My laptop decided to go to portrait after a windows update. There was a period of frustration whilst I searched for settings to put it back to normal.

If you go the new motherboard and CPU route you'll need a new windows license as well.

Cheerio John

My laptop decided to go to portrait after a windows update. There was a period of frustration whilst I searched for settings to put it back to normal.

If you go the new motherboard and CPU route you'll need a new windows license as well.

Cheerio John

Not if you have a retail copy of Windows as opposed to OEM. Just input the original Win10 Retail Key, if it doesn't activate mostly it will, may need to phone MS.

Back