Will The Metaverse make trains obsolote

Even if we ignore freight; there will still be blue collar workers needing to get to their jobs, as well as plenty of white collar workers who's companies didn't embrace the metaverse. There are a lot of companies out there which are pushing very hard to get their white collar workers back into the office & off Zoom right now in this pandemic. Maintenance & repair service jobs aren't going anywhere for a very long time; yes some robots will take over some, but in the end, it's going to be very difficult to have a robot flexible enough to get into my house's utility closet, diagnose, and repair my furnace. The robots we have are generally all skill specific. For example, a firefighting robot sprays water on a fire, a different robot would then enter the burning structure to rescue people; whereas a single firefighter can do both jobs.

I think this whole "metaverse" thing is never going to happen the way Zukkerbot wants it to happen. We'll probably get bit of it here & there; but not the whole kit & kaboodle.

Also ridesharing doesn't solve the issue that trains do. Trains take cars off the road, meaning less traffic to get stuck in. Rideshares, add cars to the road, meaning more traffic. Consider how many cities have ridesharing already & compare the rides on them to the rides on mass transit. In big cities rideshare really shines in 3 areas: after hours, visitors, and areas with less transit service.

peter

Back