Trainz Plus Release Candidate 116175 (Mac) is now available

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
Trainz Plus Release Candidate 115993 to Trainz Plus Release Candidate 116175 (Mac) is now available.

NOTE:
This build includes additional logging to identify an issue some Mac users are having when attempting to start Trainz.
(It does not fix the issue).

If you have a problem starting Trainz, then please follow these steps:
  1. Run the app
  2. When the launcher opens, click Developer > Clear Logs
  3. Click Developer > Show Logs
  4. Click Start Trainz
  5. If the app fails to start, the logs should show some [mostly unintelligble] data.
  6. Use Cmd-A to select all the text
  7. Paste the log text into an email to qa@n3vgames.com
  8. Include your machine spec and operating system information

Also ensure you update your Mac OSX to the latest version your hardware supports.

NOTE: The following issues down to Update 3 are now "extraneous" but i leave them to demonstrate what I experienced with an install and UI issue.
-----

Tony, I did a fresh install of TRS22 from MyDownloads. Patched up to 116175 (the process was "buggy" - see below).

TRS22 still fails to launch (as you suggest). Click on "Start" and I get a flash of a small dialog way too fast a flash to read. Cmd R and Start from CM also fail.

I have advance debug on. I get no additional logging. My Log only shows:
Metal device name:Apple M1 lowPower:NO removable:NO headless:No unifiedMemory:YES locaton:MTLDDeviceLocationBuiltIn gpuFamily:MTLGPUFamilyMac2

I get no other error windows.

I say install was a bit "buggy" as beta stream reported no updates available. Path to app was OK but I reselected/reset the path and all worked OK then. Original '22 Download was named '19 and after the updates it was still '19. I had renamed the new install app as "Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022" to match what the updater was looking for. But, again, it didn't work until I "reset" the target app. It then updated to 116175.

I have to say... the Mac install seems a lot more "finicky" than Windows. (I have both.)

Also - I'm running "dark mode" and the Online Patch screen is not "dark friendly." The online patch window text is white on a very light background. If I didn't know it was there I wouldn't notice it at all. The text is: "Patches will be installed to the following folder" and "To continue, click next". The next panel is also bad.. The lables "Username" and "Password" are barely visible as it the next panel also, "Stream"

Update1:
Rebuild database fails. There's a "flash" of a panel and it's it.
"Prebuild" TrainzUtil command fails with: "Engine startup failed; not executing commands."

Update 2:
Trainz on Mac is "buggy" on retaining db path setting and userid password. I had verified them all. I just checked again and db path has reset to "default" location. I had set a custom location and I had verified that it was the path showing for the install. But on the resart it must have reset again.

Update 3:
Now that I have a valid userdb path I do get an error when clicking "Start Trainz" -
"Error: Renderer initalization has failed."
Logs shows a refresh of product listing and ends with "TrainzDRMClient" msgs:
"not yet authenticated with planet auran"
"loggin in to planet auran cache"
"cache login successful, setting session cookie"
The above three lines keep repeating every minute or so....
And... finally... Thinking the issue may be my having a custom location for the user database I set it back to the default install location. Received the exact same errors.

Last edited:
That's it. (and the log msgs mentioned)
"Error: Renderer initialization has failed. Use the Developer menu to show the logs for further details"

I have "Dev" menu "enable advanced debug tools" On as well as the other three options on that screen.

Trainz Profiler has these four entries only:
Render: 100.0 fps
AppIdle --- 0.1% (0<0<0)
AppBackgroundidle --- 0.0% (0<0<0)
TAD Write --- 0.2% (0<428<690)

I know my FrankenMac Pro 5,1 is not supported, but for what it's worth, I get the same result as 1611mac with the 116175 patch.

Metal device name:AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT lowPower:NO removable:NO headless:NO unifiedMemory:NO location:MTLDeviceLocationSlot gpuFamily:MTLGPUFamilyMac2

TRS2022 115635 runs nicely. Still hoping it's not the end.
casey

1611mac - are you able to upgrade to Catalina and retest?

Last edited:
Back