Moving assets

lenscab

I havent seen anyone report this so: When I select an asset and move it, I get as far as the end of the screen and because I want to mpve it further I also hold down the RMB but when I do that it also grabs all sorts of assets and moves them too. I am only reporting this because it did not do that in 2019.
Len

Len,

Selecting and moving is awkward in Surveyor 2.0 and it becomes more difficult when there's lots of content around because we end up repositioning the hand and end up clicking again. At that point, we end up selecting more than we want such as trees, tracks, roads, and grass splines and drag those along as well.

I ran into a similar situation yesterday. I wanted to straighten some track that was covered with catenary. The wires weren't on a different layer, and I didn't make the route otherwise I would have done that, and I ended up selecting the wires instead of the track over and over. I eventually got done what I wanted to do but with a lot of extra effort and eventually switched to the old Surveyor because it was quicker.

Having said that, it would be nice if we could specify which asset-types we want to select since the same tools are used for many things. The various tools could have a filter attached to them with the different categories such as splines, tracks, scenery objects, etc.

This could be done as checkboxes and even include an "All assets" checkbox in case we actually want to select everything. With something like this, we could select tracks only, for example, and now the tools only affect the tracks and nothing else. This is similar to the old Surveyor where we switch to the asset-type to perform the task.

This same selection process could work with the marquee tool to select only tracks and nothing else so tracks can be deleted or raised and not require us to select each and every spline individually.

I havent seen anyone report this so: When I select an asset and move it, I get as far as the end of the screen and because I want to mpve it further I also hold down the RMB but when I do that it also grabs all sorts of assets and moves them too. I am only reporting this because it did not do that in 2019.
Len

Bug - should be fixed in the next update.

John - answered in the other thread but this is all possible now.

Thanks John,, Some good points there and I understand that it can be tricky operation so much so that when I have moved an asset I tend to have a look round to see that it hasnt affected anything else. The occourance I reported about, I had to re-lay quite a bit of track and buildings so now I stop moving an asset using both mouse buttons and move screen and then select again. Its just that I got used to doing it in 2019, but I suppose I can get used to it this way. There are more important things that need addressing first, I guess like for instance, I have an area of map texture and trees and I just want to select the texture and I havent figured it out yet, it was easy in 2019. I suppose things will be betterwhen we get the manual.
Len

There is a manual.

Surveyor 2.0 - Surveyor 2.0 (trainzsimulator.com)

While not complete, it does say a lot of useful stuff.

For the issue that we have here, Tony answered the question in another thread.

Surveyor 2.0 feedback thread - Page 13 (auran.com)

Th gist of it is

Set the filter to selection
Change the category to the type you want such as track, for example.

Now only track assets will be selected and manipulated and other things such as fences and grass, or buildings will not move. This is exactly what I was looking for.

If you want to select a particular asset, select that first on the route using the eyedropper. This will, or rather should, bring the asset up in the asset list.
With the asset highlighted in the assets list, right-click and choose copy.

Paste that asset in the selected asset box, also used to search for specific assets. Now only that asset can be selected and nothing else.

I used this last night while editing a route. Very useful, indeed!

Now for textures.
Click on the brush icon.
Click on textures icon on the selection box.

There is a bug, or it appears like one for me where if you have thumbnails viewed the list doesn't change, but it does if you have a list view.

Type the name in the search box or scroll until you find what you're looking for. The rest is straight forward. You can set the size and scale as before.

Thanks John, thats great, You have explained a couple of the things I hadnt worked out. I have already read the (manual), as such, and like so many others we are waiting for a more detailed and encompassed verion, but that will only happen when all the alterations have been completed.
I have figured out how to copy textures where you have textures and trees etc combined. select ground texture in the layers and filter selection,, in scrapbook filters from the top down select None, Overwrite, None, none, none.
Then with the marquee, select your area and copy, keep the box there and move to where you want the result and make another square and bring up the context menu and select , Paste to selected area.
Well all the very best. Keep up the good work.
Len

Back