Ghost AI?

Nightowl4903

I am trying to add a siding to a track in a layout I'm TRYING to build. the problem is that when I test drive a loco on it and try to use the junction , an alert pops up saying an AI train is controlling the junction lever. This is a brand new layout with no other locos on it but the one I'm testing with. I have also noticed that when I place the loco on the track, there are two yellow stripes above it with numbers on them. Does this have to do with AI? Can someone tell me how to keep this from happening?? I'm not exactly thrilled with building a single track layout with no sidings or turnouts. Thanx in advance for any advice offered.
Dale Scott

Hi Dale,

Welcome to the forum. I'm no expert, but I tried - unsuccessfully - to duplicate your situation. Perhaps I'm not understanding the conditions on your route.

Some users are confused by how Surveyor stores some information in a Route layer and other information in a Session layer. On the most basic configurations, normally all the permanent, stationary items like track work, buildings and scenery are placed using the "edit route" mode which will save them in the route layer. The locomotives, rail cars and any settings that you want to be associated with a specific session, are placed using the "edit session" mode in surveyor.

Perhaps this doesn't apply to you, but it is fairly easy to end up with locomotives and rail cars in the route layer and additions of track or track signals in a session layer. Having trains in both layers can produce confusing situations. Perhaps this isn't what's happening in your situation, but that was what came to mind reading your message.

Another thing to check is if there might be two switch levers or two track signals right on top of each other. The one on top hides the one below it, but they work against each other and behave unpredictably.

The two yellow lines above the locomotive likely are displaying how much fuel the locomotive has stored in it. The lines are green on my system. The numbers in these lines show how much is in the loco now followed by a slash and a larger number of how much fuel or sand it could hold if it was completely full. A diesel locomotive might be showing how much diesel fuel and sand it has. A steam engine would likely show how much coal and water is in the tender. As you operate the locomotive, the numbers before the slash should slowly decrease.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you. I hope this helps a little.

Happy Trainzing

I think even the user's train will get the ai message if you are too close to the junction. Slowly move your train from the junction and it should unlock.

Rob

Thanx Guys!

Thanx everyone for the helpful hints. I tried all the hints provided,and honestly don't know which one worked, but now all my junctions are working perfectly. I've only had trainz for less than a week so I have a lot to learn. Thanx again for the help and the welcome to the forum.
Dale

Glad things are working for you now. There's a LOT to learn! One of my favorite "fun" routes is TS19 Port Zyd (by philskene). There are AI trains running a main line and my local running local tracks. They cross at certain points. When I setup "local" AI trains to run the local paths I have to restrict their speed a bit slower than the set track speed (40). At track speed they sometimes can't stop quick enough when the train on the main grabs the turnout and locks it. Learning what is happening and why is all part of the fun...

Back