Creating a Basemap in TRS 2019

chrisdoig

I purchased TRS 2019 some time ago but have only just got around to playing with it. My objective at the moment is to bring model layouts I have created to life. To do this I would LOVE to load an Anyrail map (JPG) into Trainz as a background image to trace. From my limited research I believe the program to do this is Basemapz. But I am running Windows 11 and the tutorials I have viewed are current to Windows 10. When I try to download Basemapz it says I need Microsoft Net Framework 3.5 SP1 Runtime and won't load. When I try to download that Microsoft says I already have 4.0 and don't need it. So am I stuck until Basemapz is updated or is there a work around? Any help appreciated.

Also the Basemapz page does not specifically say it is compatible with TRS 19 but I understand from other blogs it is actually possible.

Many thanks,

Chris from Australia.

Microsoft Net Framework 3.5 SP1 Runtime can be found on third party websites so don't bother trying to get it from the Microsoft website as they will always try and block downloading older software versions. Just be careful though as while some third party software sites are reliable and safe others aren't.

The latest .Net framework will work fine. The latest has the older stuff built into it that's needed for the application.

There are no issues Basemapz. This is a standalone application that creates a route in a folder. You then import that route into TRS19 through Content Manager. Dragging and dropping the route on to Content Manager works fine.

I do recommend setting up a separate export location than the default C:/users/your username/app data/local/N3V Games/TRS19/Build xxxxxx/edit. In my setup, I placed the exported routes in a temporary folder. i.e., E:/temp because I wanted to keep the folder for future use.

Be sure to check the KUID range as well. You don't want to overwrite one of your own routes or other content you may have created. Check in Content Manager by sorting by KUID on "My Content". You can set the starting range for these exported routes in Basemapz.

When you set the size of the routes, you may need to make them a little bigger than you think if there are isles between parts of the layouts. When exporting, with the measured dimensions, I have found the isle ways to be a bit too narrow for a human to stand in.

I also recommend Approach Medium's video about the subject. It's very thorough and goes through the details. Happy Trainzing!

Thanks for your help.

I did what was suggested and downloaded the old Runtime 3.5 SP-1. That allowed me to download Basemapz and everything worked fine as I followed Approach Medium's instructions which were very clear. When I reopened the game and tried to load my Basemapz I get six combined baseboards (the layout is large!) but no map. I've retried a few times with the same result. Looking into the files in Content Manager I found the following error message:

! <kuid2:975217:201:1> : VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.

I have no idea what this means but I am guessing that it may not like the Runtime 3.5? Any suggestions?

Chris from Australia.

I find it useful to open the Basemapz files in TS2012 and once I'm happy with them and have made any adjustments I want I save the new route map in TS2012 3.7. After that I can save it to CDP and take it across to any of the 64 bit versions of Trainz without any problems.
TS2012 is still available on Steam last time I looked and it can be useful to keep around as a means to convert older legacy routes & etc into a format that newer versions will accept.

Chris,

It's just a coincidence that those numbers are matching. The 3.5 that the Content Manager is complaining about has nothing to do with the Microsoft Net Framework version issue that you have been dealing with.

Each version of the Trainz software has what they call a build number. Older versions of Trainz produce files that have lower build numbers, below 3.5. As KotangaGirl mentioned, her updated version of Trainz 2012 produces files with a build number of 3.7 which I think Trainz 2019 will accept. Her advice would work to update the Basemapz files to something that 2019 can read.

Disclaimer: I've never worked with Basemapz files, but I do frequently import TransDEM files into Trainz 2012 and save them into CDP files (using 2012's Content Manager) which can be imported into TANE or 2019.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
If your route is coming in blank, there's a manual fix for that:

Go into Content Manager and delete the route you imported.

Using Windows Explorer, copy the route-folder to another name for backups because we're going to rename files.

Rename the following files to:

your-route-name.bmk
your-route-name.gnd
your-route-name.obs
your-route-name.trk

to

mapfile.bmk
mapfile.gnd
mapfile.obs
mapfile.trk

The alternative is to run the route through TRS2009 and up to achieve the same, but without TRS2009 and up the rename works just the same.

Here's an example of a route I created in January 2005 and imported into TRS19.

e & e-rev2.bmk
e & e-rev2.gnd
e & e-rev2.obs
e & e-rev2.trk

The above files became:

mapfile.bmk
mapfile.gnd
mapfile.obs
mapfile.trk

Thanks for your help.

I did what was suggested and downloaded the old Runtime 3.5 SP-1. That allowed me to download Basemapz and everything worked fine as I followed Approach Medium's instructions which were very clear. When I reopened the game and tried to load my Basemapz I get six combined baseboards (the layout is large!) but no map. I've retried a few times with the same result. Looking into the files in Content Manager I found the following error message:

! <kuid2:975217:201:1> : VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.

I have no idea what this means but I am guessing that it may not like the Runtime 3.5? Any suggestions?

Chris from Australia.
6 baseboards is a large MRR layout for Trainz but Trainz can handle layouts that are 1000's of baseboards in size - I'm working on 1 that's over 3000.

I just tried a 24x33 foot room size HOn3 model layout (fits on part of 2 baseboards) and imported it into TRS19 using "import content folder" option under file menu. Basemapz set it up in a folder called "TrainzImport". I just import this folder - the route and basemap tiles are in separate subfolders. The Trainz-build for the route is 2.9 and TRS19 loads it into Surveyor with no problems. I have lots of content with the VE48 warning and they show up. Trainz is pretty good about grandfathering in older content.

You can check the "ExportLog.txt" file Basemapz puts in the export folder. It might have some indication if it encountered any problems.

I'd also check to see it the content id's you used aren't already in use. IIRC it defaults to 60000 for the 1st tile and 20000 for the route unless you change them. In my case the 1st tile would have a kuid of <kuid:65931:60000> and the route <kuid:65931:20000>. If the ids are already used the imported content will be left "open for editing" in CM so they don't overwrite the existing content with the same ids. If this is the case the content won't show in Surveyor. If there are id conflicts you should determine ids that are available and reset the ids in Basemapz to use them and re export the route.

Bob Pearson

@John

Basemapz uses "mapfile" for the file names in the route folder. I didn't have to change anything - it imported and showed up with no manual changes or adjustments.

Imported and opened in Surveyor:
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

@Chris

In Basemapz at step 3 "generate basemaps...", here's where you can change the content ids Basemapz uses:

click for larger image

Last edited:
The Help function within the program is also very good. Mike covers everything you need to know to use Basemapz in some detail. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to make 720 x 720 m baseboard tiles for small fictional routes of 14x14 baseboards or less and typical MRR routes in Trainz are only a few baseboards in size.

It definitely works with TRS19 so hopefully Chris can sort things out.

Bob Pearson

The more I learn the less I know...

Thank you to everyone who has generously supplied advice to me on this issue. I have a lot of catching up to do. I've been playing with AnyRail and TrainPlayer for years and quite proficient but this is a whole new ballgame. I'm finding the tutorials by Sharadise on YouTube very useful, as well as Approach Medium and others.

I have a lot to wade through but very useful advice from each and every one of you.

Many thanks,

Chris from Australia

Base boards won't load

I'm trying to import base boards into 2019 but I get 3 errors. 1. 2.9 is obsolete 2. lod is missing 3. the IM file can't be loaded. I changed the build number, added the lod line in the config and renamed the IM name to match but the lod transition keeps giving me a error. I'm running the latest update in 2019 as a Trainz plus member.

Back