Idiot People Stealing from UP

Interesting. A little while back a friend of mine familiar with UP told me they won't even stop between Stockton and Sacramento, as they get stolen blind. I tried looking at it on Google earth, but did not see any sidings in between, other than maybe right in the towns. I did not study it all the way though. Anyway, the point was, there are places they can't stop unless they want to be looted. Yes, maybe need some old fashioned railroad agents back again.

Vandalized containers can often be seen on rail cams (Virtual Railfan and RailStream). The train flies by with the containers doors flopping in the wind. Sometimes it railcar after railcar. A couple have been posted in this forum.

It's made it to the BBC website as well, presumably the speed must be very slow for the thieves to get onboard and open the containers.

Better solution: Post guards along the train that shoot on sight without advance warning. I'd volunteer!

I learned about it via this thread started by Dave Snow. Crazy stuff! Like the smash and grab looting happening in some US businesses.

Better solution: Post guards along the train that shoot on sight without advance warning. I'd volunteer!

That would certainly fit in with the wild west theme mentioned by Dinorius Redundicus!

Are there any photos of the discarded goods and packages? Could be an opportunity for some Trainz content creator who likes making derelict objects….

*Edit: Just noticed the link in Dave Snow's opening post takes us to a bunch of photos.

Last edited:
While this is a problem there might just be more to the story. Last June I took a trip on AMTRAK to Los Angeles. To my Horror I could not fathom the Amount of homeless people in the area. Just about ever square inch of land not in use by private or public hade tent cities and this was along the BNSF route to Union Station and Along the UP heading north and west form LA union Station as well. (Return trip routed thru Santa Barbra, and San Francisco) In one un used area near the Port of Long Beach in an area about a block and a half long and maybe 40 to 50 foot wide There was about 30 tents of homeless people. If that photo in Dave Snows photo was not so carefully framed as to not show the under side of the bridge at its approach ends there are mist likely several tents in those areas. While I do not condon crime I can see that some of these persons might be doing this just to stay alive.

Yes, I was struck by this as well - 'homeless encampments' - you have these in the richest nation on earth? Is this the 19th century or the 21st?

Paul

Yes, I was struck by this as well - 'homeless encampments' - you have these in the richest nation on earth? Is this the 19th century or the 21st?

Paul

Yes - in a state and city that spends half a billion dollars on homeless programs. more than probably anywhere else. This is truly disgusting, but you cant discuss politics here.

There have been undercover police stings off and on around railroad yards and truck lots. They setup cameras inside containers with hidden panels on one side and nab the perps when they grab the goods. I saw a documentary on HBO or A&E a number of years ago on this and this was done recently in Lawrence, MA. I picked that up on my police scanner. Way cool! :D

Back