Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idiot People Stealing from UP

I heard on the news that they have arrested hundreds, butthey are all back on the street within 24 hours.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power then the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

United States of America, Nebraska, Lincoln

While this is a problem there might just be more to the story. Last June I took a trip on AMTRAK to Los Angeles. To my Horror I could not fathom the Amount of homeless people in the area. Just about ever square inch of land not in use by private or public hade tent cities and this was along the BNSF route to Union Station and Along the UP heading north and west form LA union Station as well. (Return trip routed thru Santa Barbra, and San Francisco) In one un used area near the Port of Long Beach in an area about a block and a half long and maybe 40 to 50 foot wide There was about 30 tents of homeless people. If that photo in Dave Snows photo was not so carefully framed as to not show the under side of the bridge at its approach ends there are mist likely several tents in those areas. While I do not condon crime I can see that some of these persons might be doing this just to stay alive.

Yes, I was struck by this as well - 'homeless encampments' - you have these in the richest nation on earth? Is this the 19th century or the 21st?

Paul

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsw2 View Post
    Yes, I was struck by this as well - 'homeless encampments' - you have these in the richest nation on earth? Is this the 19th century or the 21st?

Paul

Yes - in a state and city that spends half a billion dollars on homeless programs. more than probably anywhere else. This is truly disgusting, but you cant discuss politics here.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

There have been undercover police stings off and on around railroad yards and truck lots. They setup cameras inside containers with hidden panels on one side and nab the perps when they grab the goods. I saw a documentary on HBO or A&E a number of years ago on this and this was done recently in Lawrence, MA. I picked that up on my police scanner. Way cool!
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 114800
    TRS22 Beta tester

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    There have been undercover police stings off and on around railroad yards and truck lots. They setup cameras inside containers with hidden panels on one side and nab the perps when they grab the goods. I saw a documentary on HBO or A&E a number of years ago on this and this was done recently in Lawrence, MA. I picked that up on my police scanner. Way cool!
    There's a YouTuber named Mark Rober, who's a former NASA employee, and every year, for the past four years, he's put a custom-made glitter bomb on his porch for all those package-stealing thieves that live in the area. Here's Glitter Bomb 1.0, and stick around till the end of the video for a guy who's gonna wish he never picked up this special package:

See Glitter Bomb 2.0 Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TSR_v07m0
    See Glitter Bomb 3.0 Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4T_LlK1VE4
    See latest version, Glitter Bomb 4.0 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c584TGG7jQ
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    There's a YouTuber named Mark Rober, who's a former NASA employee, and every year, for the past four years, he's put a custom-made glitter bomb on his porch for all those package-stealing thieves that live in the area. Here's Glitter Bomb 1.0, and stick around till the end of the video for a guy who's gonna wish he never picked up this special package:

See Glitter Bomb 2.0 Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TSR_v07m0
    See Glitter Bomb 3.0 Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4T_LlK1VE4
    See latest version, Glitter Bomb 4.0 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c584TGG7jQ
    Yes, I am well aware of him. He teams up with the anti-spammers and law enforcement to stop the money mules from stealing money from the elderly.

I've seen these videos.
    John
    TRS22 Beta tester

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    Yes, I am well aware of him. He teams up with the anti-spammers and law enforcement to stop the money mules from stealing money from the elderly.

I've seen these videos.
    You must be talking about this video.

Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

Yup that's the one!

He also works with Pierogi, one I can't remember (Trilogic-Media I think), and Kitboga. All these guys along with Jim Browning and others are putting in a concerted effort to take out the scammers.
    John
    TRS22 Beta tester

United States of America, ill, Rock Island

saw on phone last night at work, a couple articles about it. City of LA is blaming UP for it as they layed off like 80% of the railroad cops. so the blame game goes on.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...mited-security
    Last edited by fourteen; January 25th, 2022 at 08:39 AM.
    Modeling Ho scale on the cheap

GT 730 8 Meg

United States of America, New Jersey, Woodbridge

Now there's a derailment and a planned reroute. Fun stuff.