Friends of the 261 Purchases National Railway Equipment's Silvis Illinois Shop

So i asked last night when i went it, about above. and got oh you did'nt know. The sale was over a month ago. They said we will have jobs till we don't have jobs.

So i asked last night when i went it, about above. and got oh you did'nt know. The sale was over a month ago. They said we will have jobs till we don't have jobs.

I wish you lots of luck. It's nice not being told. NOT!

I've been through this scenario more than once during my work life. The first time was a telecom manufacturer that was bought by a Canadian telecom company. Manufacturing got it first as those jobs were offshored or carted north. I had moved up to MIS and was told one day that that too was heading to Montreal. My hours were reduced initially to part-time then cut completely. I found out that department was gone when I walked into work for my 2nd shift operations job and the computer room was emptied. All the VAXs and the two band printers were moved out and the only thing left was a few Sun SPARC workstations sitting on a folding table.

Another company was a Polaroid spin-off. I was with them for 11 years. I went into work one April morning, and we were called in company meeting. The GM and CEO were there talking quietly then the GM spoke in a very quiet tone. The company was winding up operations and shutting its doors. It was pretty evident months before that this was occurring. As the company downsized, I went from strictly IT to handling multiple positions including logistics, customer and order administration, MIS reporting, and purchasing. The multiple positions were one thing but dealing with irate customers because they couldn't receive their supplies was another, and in purchasing dealing with credit hold situations was more than tiring. The company closed in July 2009. We all said goodbye and that was that. I still get emails and calls from the CEO, GM and other employees asking how I am and for technical support. Apparently, I left an impression on them.

Best of luck Fourteen. From the looks of all the locos they have sitting outside that shop it looks like there should be plenty of restoration work for a long time! I was very sad when Motive Power closed up shop here in Boise, Idaho. That facility is now being used to build off-road fire trucks and equipment, so at least it went for a good purpose.

Back