Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N3v3rf1x3d

Default N3v3rf1x3d

This is the old computer language called Leetspeak, N3v3rf1x3d=Neverfixed
    the Trainz company name came from this language N3v, N3VRF41L=Neverfail

In this thread I like to discuss the various Trainz items that in years remain broken or incomplete

Kind MoCrossing, also know as a crossing
    -Mysterious bump your train makes when reaching/leaving the crossing
    it could be an option in properties
    -No way to alter the 2 triggers(distances) to open or close gates
    this was the reason complex systems like ATLS or TRC were made

Kind MoTurntable also know as a turntable or transfertable
    -It used to have the option to add an interior,
    a user could take the role as turntable controller
    it was removed, probably because of performance issues
    our computers are much faster now, so it could be restored

Kind Interior, also known as Cab or Cabin
    -the camera positions cannot be accessed by script
    -mesh-asset does not work in the mesh table
    -no simple way to set the position of the cab in relation to the loco mesh
    -any use of PBR texture makes it an ugly cab
    -not all controls allow text to display what it is

Kind GroundTexture
    -too much difference between standard and PBR
    sometimes track will "drown" when placing textures
    often strange shadows or gaps will show, it should work on any platform
    and with any setting the user has (or is forced to have)

Kind Vehicle, known as car or wagon
    -reaching View-Details involves 2 hands
    one shortcut key or mouse key (combination) could be used

Kind Consist, a combination of train vehicles
    -you can set the sequence and direction of the vehicles
    not their properties, like how many of products loaded
    the state of panto, lights, priority, etc. etc.
    -Quite recently the entire GUI graphic user interface, to make and place these was remove
    reason being "ugly" pictures, because some content creators do not take the time to make nice ones.
    We know trainz can generate these pictures on the fly, see the driver list,
    besides that it could be added to Content Manager, to generate these and add them to your vehicles/loce etc.

Kind Map, also known as Route
    -it was possible to put some carz there as addition to the region asset used,
    this has been removed for unknown reason.
    It was handy, lets say you used Region UK, but for your London map
    just add some double deck busses or the typical taxi to the route.

Kind Product, Passengers
    -They are not animated or lit at night
    The first thing a "fresh to trainz" visitor here sees and remarks about Trainz,
    yeah the Trains look nice, but those people just don't move
    We see all route builders now use neoklai animated people from 15? years back
    all competitive Train Simulators have this sorted over a decade ago
    Even our grass and trees move but not the built-in passengers/people

Kind Engine also known as engine file
    -It was developed long ago with many parameters, that could be used in the future
    yet development somehow halted and many of them do not work at all.
    -A recent promessing addition was made called TNI, yet I see no one actually
    programming or using it, which is a pity and waste of development time.

Kind Turfx/Clutter/Water
    A great idea, but has too much Computer geek/nerdiness as currently used
    float16, Int3, fun as a programmer, unclear for an average user
    -needs more separate controls not combined with other functions
    -needs better control to place/remove it where unwanted

Don't get me wrong, I love Trainz, I believe in the good people working at N3v
    I tried the suggestion boxcar thread many times, can not bug report forever
    I don't care how long it takes as long as I know it will be fixed/improved
    feel free to add or comment (please no fanboi, it cannot be done replies)
    enjoy Trainz, greetings GM

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

I thought APL was pretty arcane, but you may have bested it:

Here is an APL program to calculate the average (arithmetic mean) of a list of numbers, written as a dfn:
    {(+⌿⍵)÷≢⍵}
    Platinum 2019 Build 111951; 2019 SP1 Build 105096; TANE SP4 Build 105766
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
    feel free to add or comment (please no fanboi, it cannot be done replies)
    What a contradiction! "Feel free to comment ... but I only want those opinions that agree with mine!"

I have been accused of being a "fanboi" simply because I have offered a different opinion to another poster on a given topic. I had thought that these forums were supposed to be for free (but polite) discussion of ideas and opinions, not an echo chamber. But apparently that is wrong. There, that is my whinge for the morning.

Of course there are many things in Trainz that need fixing. There are things that have needed "fixing" for a long time - complaints about Alister, the "AI", go back to the version it was introduced. There are many, many new features that could be introduced - the mythical "more realism" feature for example. One part of the problem is that all these "fixes" and new "features" mean different things to different people. The major complaint of one recent poster was the fact that side mirrors on those locos that had them did not actually show any reflections.

Perhaps if N3V had a staff of hundreds or more, just like Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, then Trainz would be perfect, just like Office, Photoshop, iOS.

My opinions, and please, feel free to disagree (really). I will not be offended.
    Trainz Plus 114800, Win 10, 16GB, RTX 3060Ti
    Trainz Plus 115628, Win 10, 8GB, GTX 1050Ti

Quote Originally Posted by pware View Post
    What a contradiction! "Feel free to comment ... but I only want those opinions that agree with mine!"

I have been accused of being a "fanboi" simply because I have offered a different opinion to another poster on a given topic. I had thought that these forums were supposed to be for free (but polite) discussion of ideas and opinions, not an echo chamber. But apparently that is wrong. There, that is my whinge for the morning.

Of course there are many things in Trainz that need fixing. There are things that have needed "fixing" for a long time - complaints about Alister, the "AI", go back to the version it was introduced. There are many, many new features that could be introduced - the mythical "more realism" feature for example. One part of the problem is that all these "fixes" and new "features" mean different things to different people. The major complaint of one recent poster was the fact that side mirrors on those locos that had them did not actually show any reflections.

Perhaps if N3V had a staff of hundreds or more, just like Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, then Trainz would be perfect, just like Office, Photoshop, iOS.

My opinions, and please, feel free to disagree (really). I will not be offended.
    Well said, I think for the size of N3V that they deliver quality products which I enjoy immensely.

Cheers,

PLP
    Building the Swanage Railway for TRS19.

I don't do route building, just session development. So those problems don't affect me directly. But I notice others have major problems with turfx and textures. I hope it doesn't dissuade them from contributing new routes.
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

Something to add to your list..

I'm generally the positive type. I have Gold and I'm proud of it (does that make me a fanboi?) because I think it's a good value for the entertainment provided. I also figure the more cash I give, the better N3V becomes (even if in a very tiny way) and I like to support niche products which I consider Trainz to be. I bought a copy of TRS19 Early Release as my first Trainz product but then went to Gold/Plus.

Suddenly, to get a "non Plus" "version" (Standard) I had to establish another separate account just to get a copy of Standard else it turns PE due to my account subscription. So I've purchased Early Release, purchased TRS19 Standard, and I have PE Plus. What I'd really like to have is a copy of 100240 but that is impossible, even with Gold.But these were MY choices and I'm glad I did them all.

HOWEVER....

I am amazed that so many Payware (DLS) routes and sessions are broken and there appears to be little to no desire for N3V to fix them. I've posted issues in beta forums, filled out tickets, bug reports, but they're still broken. This can't possibly leave a good taste in the mouth of customers. To this day they are still being sold. I just don't get that. And I just keep reading about broken routes and sessions in the forum. (Yes, I know, some are user error.) But still...No fixes...

On the flip side... Trainz is just fun and addicting... I'm glad I found it. I've learned a lot about Railroading from it. I'd recommend it anyone but I'd warn them about the problems.
    Last edited by 1611mac; January 12th, 2022 at 05:31 PM.
    22+ beta 116069; 19+ SP5 beta 116009; 19-Std SP3; Tane
    Win10, GTX1060-6, 1TB SSD(C), 2TB SSD(D)
    Mac M1 Mini, Big Sur - 19+

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    I notice others have major problems with turfx and textures.
    Agreed. But it is important to remember that TurfFX is not an N3V product - it comes from Nvidia. PBR textures (the main source of complaints about textures) is a "technique" for rendering surfaces that is now used by multiple games and simulations and the PBR problems we see in Trainz are also found in all those other applications. The options are to abandon both, or keep them and await future developments from their creators.

Agreed. But it is important to remember that TurfFX is not an N3V product - it comes from Nvidia. PBR textures (the main source of complaints about textures) is a "technique" for rendering surfaces that is now used by multiple games and simulations and the PBR problems we see in Trainz are also found in all those other applications. The options are to abandon both, or keep them and await future developments from their creators.

and a third option is to talk about them to hopefully keep the kettle boiling, or at least hot.
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    I don't do route building, just session development. So those problems don't affect me directly. But I notice others have major problems with turfx and textures. I hope it doesn't dissuade them from contributing new routes.
    Remember that there's no rule that says you have to use either Turfx or PBR ground textures. I certainly don't and I'm having plenty of fun with route building in TRS22 and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Remember that there's no rule that says you have to use either Turfx or PBR ground textures. I certainly don't and I'm having plenty of fun with route building in TRS22 and I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

I don't. I am just better at session creation and scripting.
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

Blog Entries

Route development vs Session development. I am in both camps.

In my last project I spent almost all my time on Route development and almost nothing on the lone Session - that was a "bare bones" Free Roam Session with all the consists in place and industries set but no AI, tasks or objectives. I did however prepare sample scenarios as Wiki pages giving possible driving tasks. That was a lot easier than programming Session Rules and driver commands.

In my previous project I spent as much time (if not more) on developing the 13 different Sessions as I did on the Route.

Not complaining as I enjoyed both approaches but in future I think I will mostly use the single Free Roam Session supported by resources and tasks on the Wiki.

I dont mind PBR textures but when they starting updating all the default built-in textures used in earlier Trainz games to PBR. My routes started looking awful and now have to be fixed.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by hert View Post
    I dont mind PBR textures but when they starting updating all the default built-in textures used in earlier Trainz games to PBR. My routes started looking awful and now have to be fixed.
    I complained about that too and Zec thanked me for mentioning it in the forums and said he'll raise a task to get the textures fixed.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 114800
    TRS22 Beta tester

PBR textures (the main source of complaints about textures) is a "technique" for rendering surfaces that is now used by multiple games and simulations and the PBR problems we see in Trainz are also found in all those other applications.
    I've been playing PBR-textured games since at least 2015 when Far Cry 4 came out. Have not seen any PBR or TurFX problems in those games that Trainz has.
    T:ANE SP4 (105946), TRS19 SP4 (114800), Max 2009/2012, PhotoShop CS3
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSDs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    I've been playing PBR-textured games since at least 2015 when Far Cry 4 came out. Have not seen any PBR or TurFX problems in those games that Trainz has.
    I do not doubt your words but that is not the case according to posts by others in these forums in regard to PBR. TurfFX, like SpeedTrees, is a third party product and would have the same issues, good and bad, regardless of where it is used.

The caveat, of course, is how much freedom does a particular game/simulation allow its users when setting the application parameters (of which there are many in TurfFX and Clutter) when using these addons?