Dallas Area Rapid Transit replacing all mechanical roll signs

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
Just got wind of DART's introduction of digital signage on their trainsets, replacing the classic "roll" signs with a more modern alternative. I'm not the most excited about these changes but it'll get rid of broken roll signs!
This picture here was taken by my grandfather just recently.

20220106-094929.jpg

Just got wind of DART's introduction of digital signage on their trainsets, replacing the classic "roll" signs with a more modern alternative. I'm not the most excited about these changes but it'll get rid of broken roll signs!

I have never been a fan of mechanical roll signs on buses or trains. Fortunately the trains here in Sydney have never had the mechanical signs and only recently (in the last decade) started using the electronic signs. When the mechanical signs were used on buses the driver (or conductor back in the days when they existed) had to manually change each one individually (upto 5 signs - front, side and back) on each bus - which they did not always remember to do and not all the signs actually worked. These days drivers still sometimes forget to change the electronic signs but not as often.

I have never been a fan of mechanical roll signs on buses or trains. Fortunately the trains here in Sydney have never had the mechanical signs and only recently (in the last decade) started using the electronic signs. When the mechanical signs were used on buses the driver (or conductor back in the days when they existed) had to manually change each one individually (upto 5 signs - front, side and back) on each bus - which they did not always remember to do and not all the signs actually worked. These days drivers still sometimes forget to change the electronic signs but not as often.

On a typical DART consist, the entire trains' signs are controlled from the cab. Occasionally, the signs break because of the length of the Mylar signage rolls that are put through the signs and the motors can't handle it. I liked them because they were interesting mechanically. It's fun to watch trains roll by with more than one broken sign, and laugh at the old signage! (That train doesn't go to that station!) Remember, these trains are over 30 years old, so modernization is a nice touch.

With trains it would not have been an issue (or rarely) but with buses when a new route and/or destination was introduced they did not have the signage updated for some months, or even never on some of the buses.

But I did see some creative signs on the mechanical rolls as the driver scrolled through them at the end of a run - "UNDECIDED" is one that comes to mind.

The Tram Museum here in Sydney has a large collection of destination signs that were used on the old tram network.

Reminds me of the movie "Romancing the Stone", when the driver changes the sign AFTER Kathleen Turner gets on board. "You're a LONG way from Cartagena!"

Reminds me of the movie "Romancing the Stone", when the driver changes the sign AFTER Kathleen Turner gets on board. "You're a LONG way from Cartagena!"

Good Morning Forester1,

You gave me a good laugh today, It's been ages since I watched this Old Movie, and I do remember that quote.....I should pull that one up and watch it again.:hehe:

Now that I enjoyed the Trivia here with my Cup of Joe, it's off to outside and fixing a Roof Leak that's been on hold since last Summer.......:sleep:

Have a great day all......Peace and Good Health wish my friend......:wave:

Back