Paging Mr. JCitron

"I always keep a backup of my sessions just in case I mess something up. I learned the hard way as you did and now tread carefully.

I will say that the reset rules thing wrecks things!

What good is it if the AI drivers are all out of starting position?

If the drivers are on the wrong track miles away from their start, the mess will get bigger and worse. I found out this the hard way as well and ended up quitting the session anyway and restarting because it was easier than trying to adjust the AI.

I have suggested but have been duly ignored more than once on this, how about a restart session instead. The restart session will put everything back to as it was when the session was started in the first place without having to reload from scratch. This will put the AI back to home position plus restart the rules at the same time. This could be optionally disabled for those session-writers who build complex scripted scenarios with points and awards, but for the rest of us this would make things a lot less painful.

UDS as it is, is indeed quite helpful for route building. Many times, I have used it to test ATLS and TRC crossings, signals, and other complex junctions. With only a single consist or two placed down in Surveyor, I switch to driver and have the drivers traverse the route in that area. I watch for glitches and jump back to Surveyor to make adjustments before saving. This doesn't affect the running session I have created since this is only within the route-building part.

Editing a session on the fly, however, is a different matter. There can be a disconnect between the route and the session with somethings in the session not falling on the route side of things. I ran into this early on when I found some track I placed in the session, while making adjustments on the fly, missing on the route after making the changes! When I noticed this, I was initially confused, but then I realized that the layers got in the way. Since the changes weren't extensive, I deleted them from the session and placed them in the route. From now on, being a bit gun shy, now do my route editing in the route the old fashion way and use UDS only for route building.

In some ways, I see UDS as a transition between how we used to build routes and sessions and a future way. I have a feeling that in the future, we won't have a separate mode for editing the session and one for the route and instead will be one in the same.​
John
Trainz User Since: 12-2003
Trainz User ID: 124863
TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 114800
TRS22 Beta tester"

Hi, I was interested in this from the above post:

I ran into this early on when I found some track I placed in the session, while making adjustments on the fly, missing on the route after making the changes! When I noticed this, I was initially confused, but then I realized that the layers got in the way. Since the changes weren't extensive, I deleted them from the session and placed them in the route.

I just realized I have a similar problem. I always thought that when Surveyor insisted on saving Route and Session that the route elements would go to the new Route I was saving and Session elements would go to the new session. I see I am wrong about that, but I think I also have seen threads where route builders have discussed merging things.

Do you think it may be possible to merge the session into the route and then go into " Edit Route " and delete the Session elements to just keep the track and object elements in the new route?

To me, my changes are extensive and if I could merge layers in my session into the route layer that is what I would want.

Wild Willy the Wacko

I think this would work okay. I recommend saving the session and the route to CDPs first just in case.

On my route, I had stuff scattered all over. It was easier to restore what I had rather than discover things later that were lost, or in some cases doubled over because I saw missing track and placed other track over it in Surveyor.

It is advised to place trains in the session layer because of UDS. Always save a base session before you go to driver as a default session. Once you are in driver the position of the trains will be moved as they follow commands. Any save after you entered driver will save the trains at the position they are at when you did it. By placing trains in the session layer you can exit by saving the route only and then start again from the default session. If you want to keep the position of the trains then exit and save route but give the session a new name. If the trains are on the route layer and you save after entering driver, they will appear in the new loaction when you next open the route. All changes to the route while in UDS will be saved and will show when you next open the route.

Back