Any tools to aid in making a Track Map (plan, diagram, schematic, whateveritscalled)?

frogpipe

Yesterdayz Trainz Member
Once upon a time, we had "Trainzmap" or something similar in name, that could extract the routing of tracks in a route and present you with a map outside of the game. We no longer have this, and as I recall it looked like the map view we have in game now so it's not actually what I want anyway.

What I want, and can't seem to figure out the correct term for, is something like this:

post-13054-0-06045400-1352135575.jpg

What IS the proper name for such a graphical representation? Map, Diagram, Schematic all seem to get me model RR plans on Google.

Anyway, Before I break out a drawing program and start rolling my own, I wanted to check if there was some obscure CAD like program out there that would aid in drafting such, er, dia-sche-maps?

I started with very basic "track plans" from a series of magazine articles and used GIMP to create the various PNG files showing track names, signals, switches, active industries and track marks. Each of those features I placed in separate layers so they could be shown or hidden as required.

I figure that is what I'm going to have to do. Tho I may try using openoffice draw rather than a "free hand" drawing program. I just wondered if there was a bespoke program in some corner of the model railroad world I didn't know about.

Here's what I came up with. Good suggestion, thank you! (Modified 'Richmond Yard' in the JR route Coal Country for anyone wondering)

QqeSlyG.jpg

Last edited:
Railway Operation Simulator is a wonderful piece of software, isn't it? I've been using it for quite some time now. Before it became part of ROS itself, I wrote a utility to merge two routes into one.

You can make the schematic any size you want.

Bill

Wouldn't that be the thing in the photo? Not the map it's self?

Thought you were asking what was in the photo. The "map" part on the board is just called a Track Schematic. But it looks like you got it, the map you created looks really cool.

Thanks.

Dispatcher board lead me thru Google to some really amazing model railroad builds tho. Long way from the little button boxes of my youth. :)

Back