May I start a petition to bring back the " Edit Trains " tool to " Driver Mode "

Pitkin - your example introduces a non-train edit which isn't possible under the old system. Under the old system you would have to make a note of where to place the tree, save the game, exit, edit the route, save the route, reload the session and the tree would be there.

Under UDS you just save the edit to the route layer and "Do not save session". If you want to have a session without that tree for some reason, save it to a new route layer and hide that route layer in your other session. I think this covers your goal here doesn't it?

Anyway, I've now got enough information (I think) to review the whole process and work out with dev the best solutions.

Meanwhile, I hope people understand UDS a little better now and can see that it is possible to save your sessions without stuffing up the starting positions (or save them as a progressive session).

As I have said, UDS is ok for editing routes, not sessions in general. In any case, I am with the folks who want to bring Edit Trains back. And, no, it does not cover my situation. As I stated earlier, I cannot save a new route. Other than personal preference, I develop sessions for uploading with routes on the DLS that are not my own. Even if they were my own, many creators want to develop new sessions without uploading a new route. Also,the solution does not preserve new session layers.

Anyway, I appreciate your acknowledging the problem. I hope your looking into it has results.

Last edited:
Guys --

Be careful what you wish for! My recollection was that the ability to edit trains in Driver first appeared in T:ANE when we discovered that in Driver Mode the rolling stock flyout was visible on the right side of the screen. It was subsequently revealed that was, in fact, an accidental left over from changes that had been made in the program itself. There was some concern amongst us that this "accident" might be corrected and we would loose this new found ability to edit trains in Driver.

Lets hope that the boffins behind the scenes don't do that to us this time.

"Anyway, I've now got enough information (I think) to review the whole process and work out with dev the best solutions."

Tony -- can you give me some advance warning so that I can make yet another youtube video about how the new process.

Phil

As I stated earlier, I cannot save a new route.

I found a bug I need to confirm again and write up in a bug report.

If we attempt the edits in S1, we can only save a session.

If we do the same function in S2 instead everything works as expected. I discovered this last night.

I'm not sure about one thing. If the attempt in S1 fails, does it cause the next attempt in S2, after switching not work? I thought I saw that last night, but I need to confirm that. I do know that exiting out completely and choosing edit in S2 works.

I found a bug I need to confirm again and write up in a bug report.

If we attempt the edits in S1, we can only save a session.

If we do the same function in S2 instead everything works as expected. I discovered this last night.

I'm not sure about one thing. If the attempt in S1 fails, does it cause the next attempt in S2, after switching not work? I thought I saw that last night, but I need to confirm that. I do know that exiting out completely and choosing edit in S2 works.

I think you might not understand my statement. What I mean is that I do not want to save a new route because I want to preserve the original one.

Guys --

Be careful what you wish for! My recollection was that the ability to edit trains in Driver first appeared in T:ANE when we discovered that in Driver Mode the rolling stock flyout was visible on the right side of the screen. It was subsequently revealed that was, in fact, an accidental left over from changes that had been made in the program itself. There was some concern amongst us that this "accident" might be corrected and we would loose this new found ability to edit trains in Driver.

Lets hope that the boffins behind the scenes don't do that to us this time.

"Anyway, I've now got enough information (I think) to review the whole process and work out with dev the best solutions."

Tony -- can you give me some advance warning so that I can make yet another youtube video about how the new process.

Phil

This brings back old memories. I tried for hours to provide a function similar to Edit Trains years ago. I finally gave up because there was too much native code I could not deal with.

I think you might not understand my statement. What I mean is that I do not want to save a new route because I want to preserve the original one.

No, I did understand what you said. In many instances I do want to preserve the route and I too have run into that issue as well. Saving the route plus the session can ruin things sometimes on the route as well. I neglected to mention that because I got a phone call.

I guess I should clarify as well, I absolutely love the UDS (it's what made go for a plus subscription).

It's just that when "playing" as session, such as one of Philskene's for example, having to go into the full "edit" mode (with the changes in visible elements etc) to simply load or unload cars spoils the feel and atmosphere a bit for me, rather than doing the load / unload from "within" the session. I don't know if that explains it well or makes sense.

Being able to simply right-click on trains or rolling stock and load/unload would be the best option in that case.

Cheers,
Piere.

Back