Asset/Object to re-fill Steam Engine (tender)

RehnnNW

I'm attenpting to run a steam engine on "modern" route. It's a fairly lengthy route so I'll need to refill the tender.

Therefore I want to add a number of select of refill staions (water/coaling towers) along the way.
What I can't work out is which asset/object do I need to place. I can't work out which objects are just visual/passive objects and which will actualy refill the locomotive?

(Or is there a rule to enable unlimited fuel?)

If all else fails you could just use a Multiple Industry track set up to load coal and water. This is what I did for the 'refueling centre' on my Windweather Tramway and it works just fine. I know it's not a modern era example, but I've dressed it up with various bits and bobs to make it look the part and there's plenty of assets around on the DLS to enable you to do the same for whatever era you want. No magic interactive sound effects or animated movement of course, but where steam engines have animated coal in their tenders that will work just fine.

Tw7w66d.jpg

Last edited:
I'm attenpting to run a steam engine on "modern" route. It's a fairly lengthy route so I'll need to refill the tender.

Therefore I want to add a number of select of refill staions (water/coaling towers) along the way.
What I can't work out is which asset/object do I need to place. I can't work out which objects are just visual/passive objects and which will actualy refill the locomotive?

(Or is there a rule to enable unlimited fuel?)

I've examined the following coal docks in T:ANE and find they work. Some are also receiving industries, which require delivery of coal to function. These are all freeware or built-in:
<kuid2:210518:11368:1> B&M_Coaling_Tower
<kuid2:210518:11714:1> North_Walpole_Coaling_Tower
<kuid2:87145:28058:2> CNR 250 Ton Coaling Tower
<kuid2:70337:28036:1> CNR coaling tower
<kuid2:210518:11702:1> Quebec_Central_Sainte-Justine_Coaling_Tower
<kuid2:210518:10917:2> Coal_Tower_3
<kuid2:187586:28156:1> Coal Stage (British)​

Working water towers:
<kuid2:124060:28027:2> Old West Watertank 2
<kuid2:87145:28057:2> CNR Water Column (column only, provide your own water tower)​

Again I've only tested these in T:ANE.
As Annie pointed out, the shortest multi-industry track assets work well to deliver water and coal, but note some will also empty the tender!

The driver command <kuid2:117290:1022:1> InstantLoadLocos works fine in T:ANE, although as it's build 2.5 I don't know if it will work in 19, but you might try it.

:B~)

As Annie pointed out, the shortest multi-industry track assets work well to deliver water and coal, but note some will also empty the tender!

With a bit of care with setting the industry track up it is possible to avoid that though. My interesting collection of tramway engines have been successfully stopping off for a couple of sacks of coal and a drink of water for quite a while now.

Last edited:
You can also use Instant Load Locomotives Driver command.

Drive to a coaling tower, bins, or a pile of coal along with a water tower. Switch to the driver command bar and use Instant Load Locomotives.

This will fill the water, sand, and coal/wood.

Once filled, wait a minute or so then continue on your drive by switching back to manual drive.

Back