Unknown Assets - Delete??

boleyd

I pay attention to the Red CDP indicators on the main menu. They tell me to check on a new error, usually caused by a well intention removal of some database component.

Ok, that Red CDP asset has a problem. I look at the the Download Station (DLS) and it is "unknown" so I try to delete it but find that I am not allowed. The lingering question is WHY. What specific harm is created by deletion of an Unknown Asset?:(

I am guessing but is this just a case of my database having an entry but a matching entry is not in the N3V database.

A few tricks Dick

First the n3v dbase is far from complete
it only knows the DLS and the contents of DLC packs

if you have unknown:
-right click and list assets versions could help, often an older is known
you can download it and do what I call the +1 trick
-Make sure you have the basic DLC installed and updated
-There are a few sites that can find kuids and even Google just directs you
-Unknown can be replaced by a temp kuid
FI a ground texture, just clone one, give it a big R and a name like gtreplace21
then the kuid of the missing one, later bulk asset replace
-if you really tried hard but still can't find, find the missing assets topic
always someone helpful enough to point you in the right direction.

Some hate kuid hunting, but I just see it as part of the hobby

Sometimes for unknown, right click download this version will work, item may be on the repair list as the items don't show in manage content, however can usually still be downloaded albeit they may be faulty, they may not, many items are on the list because of missing dependencies, which could be due to them being from a third party site or more often the dependant was uploaded before the dependencies so get marked as faulty as the DLS can't back track when the dependencies are uploaded as there is nothing in a dependencies config to say what it belongs to.

Assuming none of that applies you can usually just delete the entry in manage content.

I usually have one look around a route to see if there are any orange boxes. If I don't find any, I just "Delete missing assets". If I find some, I will think about what creative item might fit in that spot or substitute for what is missing, then place it right in the orange box and THEN hit "Delete missing assets".
EDIT: If it is a loco or rolling stock in a consist I may have to separate the consist, delete the item, then replace the item with my substitution and re-couple to get it placed properly

Last edited:
Since Delete functions against YOUR database it is not clear to me why there is a prohibition against delete? If there is some chance of harming your database NV has not mentioned that. All they maintain is that it is not on the database so it cannot be deleted (i.e. does not exist). However, if the delete is against the customer's database that is not true. I can see a problem if a "gap" is made in the customer's database but a normal delete must have code to fill that. Then on the next update properly remove it with a proper sorting process.

I did try the various possible procedures except substituting a new kuid.

Last edited:
If Content Manager is showing an asset as "Unknown" then it is because another asset in your database (usually a route or a session) has included that missing asset in its <kuid> list as a dependency. Sometimes a loco or rail car will refer to a missing asset in its <kuid> list as well.

Usually the missing or unknown asset is on a 3rd party web site somewhere (good luck in finding it). Sometimes the creator of a route had included an asset from a 3rd party site as one of the scenery items but removed it before uploading the route to the DLS and, for some reason, it was not removed from the routes <kuid> list before the upload.

The missing asset is not on the DLS or installed on your system so Content Manager is unable to locate it - hence the "Unknown" status. The only way to remove it from the Content Manager display is to either delete the asset from the <kuid> list of the route/session (the Delete missing assets command in Surveyor should do this) or, alternatively delete the route/session itself.

There are 'unknowns' as well that are payware assets from DLC that aren't installed into your copy of TS2019/TRS19. The 'Curse of the Tume' is one I strike all the time as a considerable amount of this creator's assets are sewn into a number of older DLC routes exclusively as payware and can prove to be difficult to track down as to just which route they are from. If you don't happen to want Season Town, Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel, - and I forget the other one, - you are well and truly stuck.
The most annoying situation arises when a single formerly freeware asset used as a dependency by dozens of other assets is marked as payware and turns up as an 'unknown'. In general I find third party 'unknowns' to not really to be too much of a problem as in 85% of cases they are somewhere on the interwebs, - it's payware that's the worse problem; - though the new 'packaged' designation has gone a long way to help with that as well as N3V's willingness to take assets out of Payware Jail and convert them to packaged status.
If an 'unknown' remains unsolvable I use a proxy asset, - in my case a tall red flag, - and give it the 'unknown' asset's KUID number. That way the darn thing can be tracked down and changed out for something else that hopefully won't be a problem at a future time.

Simply put.. you cannot delete it because, as had been mentioned, a route or session is "telling" content manager that it will need the asset. If you right click on an asset in Content Manager you will see "Dependant" - That's the route or session that is "calling" for the "unknown."

Simply put.. you cannot delete it because, as had been mentioned, a route or session is "telling" content manager that it will need the asset. If you right click on an asset in Content Manager you will see "Dependant" - That's the route or session that is "calling" for the "unknown."

Some might Mac, but there's more than a few that won't tell you a thing about themselves.

Back