Stingy Creators

Everything I make is released as soon as it's finished. To save all users the utter drudgery of hunting for missing assets, I put everything on the DLS and they are always for free. The fact that I generally don't want anyone to publish clones/reskins of my works doesn't make me stingy.

And I applaud you for releasing all your creations and for putting them on the DLS so that we don't have to hunt for them. You are perfectly entitled to place whatever restriction you want on your work, it is your sweat, tears and time after all.

A topic that never seems to grow old. Since my creation talents are mainly limited to the many Surveyor helper objects that some people seem to also like using, I don't really have a Train on these tracks. Never understood why someone would share and then try to dictate how someone else can use it. It's a hobby! At least I'm in it for fun. If I was to worry about losing a dime because someone else used it, I should get a different hobby.

Well-put, Dave!!

That's what my humble asset license used to read:

Code:
license                                 "Risk if you can"

Which I shifted to a more socializing tag reading:

Code:
license                                 "Enjoy it, but contact me"

The socializing side of Alberte, who is still peeping over the place :hehe: :wave:

There are several assets by paulhobbs, that have unknown deps (the unknowns are his own assets!), and I have several BR locomotives downloaded that are permanently broken because of that. The same story for the BR 9F. A single missing dep creates a domino effect that breaks like 10 other assets. I'm wondering why I still have these assets in my library...

You need Paul Hobbs' kuid list. It's linked on his website. Many of his assets have been up-rev'd to cater for S&C, and PLL route packs but I've managed to get everything working.

http://www.44090digitalmodels.co.uk/kuidlist/kuidlist.html

For myself the major issue in releasing things - is because it's not finished, but then routes never really are. Someday you probably need to bite the bullet. You can pretty much guarantee that the only real feedback you'll get is someone grousing about missing kuids, missing details etc. Makes it all worthwhile...

Tongue in cheek here, but you gotta admit that missing deps are chronic. And I am starting to wonder if there are more horn sounds, bogeys and engine sounds than actual locomotives in existence because it seems like every creator manages to not include a set that is on the DLS already. Every time I download a loco, I can bet that one or more of the above are missing, created by someone the creator must be intimately associated with, but apparently doesn't upload to the DLS, at least not THAT asset, and is unheard of in Google. Well, I have learned to be real creative at looking those items up for DLS assets of the same type and substituting. Now my tongue is out of my cheek, and I do want to say I have a great reverence for any creator who can develop all of the great assets we are blessed with here in Trainz. I will not even offer the fixed assets for upload as I assume I would need permissions for both the original asset (loco, freight car), AND the substituted part, although I do fix with DLS parts. But thank you, thank you, thank you to ALL creators!

There are several assets by paulhobbs, that have unknown deps (the unknowns are his own assets!), and I have several BR locomotives downloaded that are permanently broken because of that. The same story for the BR 9F. A single missing dep creates a domino effect that breaks like 10 other assets. I'm wondering why I still have these assets in my library...
The reason for assets of mine on the DLS without all the dependencies is that they were intended as updates to assets that were included in either the SnC or PLL DLC packages. It should be blindingly obvious why I didn't upload everything... If this is not the case, simply mail me, and I'll upload the dependencies. The missing dependencies breaking other BR locos is caused by other creators using assets included in the payware packages.

You need Paul Hobbs' kuid list. It's linked on his website. Many of his assets have been up-rev'd to cater for S&C, and PLL route packs but I've managed to get everything working.

http://www.44090digitalmodels.co.uk/kuidlist/kuidlist.html
The kuid list was only uploaded at the start of 2022 as part of the long overdue update to my website, it should help to clarify which kuids are part of the payware packages.

Paul

Last edited:
"dont reskin my content without permission"

I'm not sure I've ever said that... but what I DO say is "If you make something with my stuff, send me a copy or a link to it" in 15+ years, only a handful every have followed that instruction.

I also say that if you use my free rail related logos & fonts from RailSimStuff.com, let know and feel free to send me stuff. (Unless you are making money from it, then I need to know as it could get dicey with Trademark Lawyers who decide to yell "cease and desist") So far, no commercial content creator has ever got in touch with me and I've managed to stay under the radar of trademark lawyers... but that could change anytime and then railsimstuff.com goes *poof*.

I have numerous Routes and Sessions on DLS from TC3 through to TRS19, and I have once instructed N3V to take down a copy of one of them. It was not a matter of being unfriendly, possessive or anything else along those lines. The Route was copied without my consent. My position is very simple ...... respect others. That means respect and acknowledge the time and effort they put into their creation. Most creators I know are, like me, more than pleased to authorize another Trainzer to adapt a creation for their own use. We just expect a notation to the effect that the original was created by (whoever). That is not being possessive, but simply honest. For anybody interested in how this might work, just download my (Driver_Col) version of Rosworth Vale (149790:100001:1). Not only did I contact ChileanLlama prior to putting a lot of time into changing his Route around, but you will see that ChileanLlama was given full credit for the original Route. It's respect ..... just simple respect. Regards. Colin.

I will add that if a creator includes an instruction that their work is not to be modified and uploaded to the DLS, or anywhere else, then that is their right. They have put in the time and effort in building the asset and if they decide, for whatever reasons, that they do not want modifications of it distributed then we must respect that. This is not a case of the creator being "stingy" or going against the "spirit of the community", it is simply exercising their (and our) right to control what happens to their work. The fact that they have uploaded the asset for others to use meets the "community spirit" of sharing.

My opinions.

Back