How do I get rid of an old OS

I had a dual boot system for a while and I am trying to delete WIN 7 from a physical drive and then use that drive to install Trainz 2022.

I have tried different instructions but WIN 10 stubernly refuses to clean or re-format the drive. It claims that I do not have permission, even though I am the administrator and have clicked on the option to perform as one.

I understand explitive trying to help people to not do the wrong thing and delete their working OS.

If I could fire up and old machine with WIN 95 or XP would they be less discrimanitory?

The drive is a small SSD 160 GB, but half of it is blocked by WIN 7.

After looking at what I have in my Trainz 2019 physical drive after moving user data to that from my WIN 10 drive I decided to buy a new 500 GB SSD for Trainz 2022 but I'd like to salvage the 160 GB drive for future use.

I think maybe putting it in an old machine and using a WIN instalation disk like XP, I may be able to force a format in preparation for installation of XP and then maybe abort the process????

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

Last edited:
Use the likes of 'Gparted' which can be run from a Live USB/CD. While it will sort out/re-format drives, partitions and so forth if you intend retaining Win 10 it will not actually remove the boot-loader. Peter

If you're familiar at all with Linux, you could use something like an Ubuntu Live DVD which will let you run Ubuntu from the DVD drive (and not mess with your current OS). The Win7 disk will be attached and you can simply format it NTFS which overwrites Win7. You should also consider editing your post to remove the derogatory reference to Microsoft.

Bill

Sorry I offended you!

If you're familiar at all with Linux, you could use something like an Ubuntu Live DVD which will let you run Ubuntu from the DVD drive (and not mess with your current OS). The Win7 disk will be attached and you can simply format it NTFS which overwrites Win7. You should also consider editing your post to remove the derogatory reference to Microsoft.

Bill

Post has been edited.

Wild Willy the Wacko

Didn't offend me at all. It is against the forum COC. I once got dinged for referring to "win doze".

Bill

Back