Boost your Game Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueodessey

Hello all, I though this article from NVIDIA today might be of interest?

Was just going thru and taking the time to update all my Drivers since I had not used this Large 17" Laptop for almost 3 months.......

I have a new Lenovo S540 12.5" Laptop for Travel......I took it to Amsterdam and it worked perfectly........

Below here is the new items and other related information from NVIDIA.....

What’s new in GeForce Experience 3.24

Boost your Game Performance
NVIDIA DLSS is our award-winning AI-powered technology that delivers big performance boosts with maximum image quality in over 100 games. For games and GPU's that don’t support NVIDIA DLSS, we’ve updated our image sharpening feature, NVIDIA’s spatial upscaler and sharpener located in the Control Panel, with an enhanced algorithm and made it easily accessible through GeForce Experience.
gfe-rh's-image-sharpening-large.png

By enabling the feature from the “Settings” tab, you can get a performance boost by rendering games at a lower resolution, then upscaling and sharpening to your monitor’s native resolution. You can dial up performance by adjusting the render resolution to 50% (upscaling up to 2X), or increase image quality to 85% (upscale up to 1.3X). Games optimized by GeForce Experience are automatically configured to the selected render resolution. For games not optimized by GeForce Experience, you can simply select the desired render resolution from the game’s settings menu. During game play, you can also make real-time adjustments to the sharpness level for each game from the Game Filters menu by pressing [Alt+F3]. To enable this feature, simply download the latest Game Ready Driver.

Support for Screenshot Capture for GPU upscaling

GeForce Experience now supports screenshot capture for NVIDIA resolution scaling features like Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) and Image Sharpening. Simply hit [Alt+F1] to capture the final upscaled or down-scaled image. Support for video capture will come in a future release.
Squashed bugs!

• Fixed an issue on Window 10 where users are unable to simultaneously record and broadcast video on desktop and notebook systems.
  • Addressed issues with the FPS counter in the in-game overlay.
  • Fixed an issue where GameStream users received error code 800b1004.
  • Fixed an issue where Broadcast Live was not available to Twitch.
  • Fixed an issue where Instant Replay and Record was not working for notebook users.

Last edited:
Thanks, Blue for this.

I have this turned on already in the NVidia Control Panel because I don't use the GF Experience because I found it tends to do a lot of hogging of bandwidth with the network. I have mine set at 75% and the performance is pretty good with my older desktop and its GTX 1080 TI

Hello - would anyone have some more detailed info on what performance tweaks to make? I'm having an issue with the tunnels and tracks disappearing while running a session in the DSEPRO3 HS1 London to Lille Route with TRS19 Platinum Build 114800. If I hit pause it temporarily fixes the issue. I've tried playing with the draw distance and all the other settings (in the launcher and in game) without any success. Also I've tried a few options on the NVIDIA control panel, AORUS system and monitor overclocking. There are just too many options/combinations and haven't been able to make sense of them all. The Task Manager Performance statistics do not appear to be overtaxed or running at higher utilizations. I think I have a pretty robust system:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19044) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)System Model: X570 AORUS ULTRA
BIOS: F3 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 32716MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, no HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Display Memory: 27406 MB
Dedicated Memory: 11049 MB
Shared Memory: 16357 MB
Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported
Display Topology: Extend
Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
Monitor Name: ROG PG279Q
Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)
Output Type: Displayport External
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
Advanced Color: Not Supported

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Chris

Good info Blue ty, enjoyed your pics of Amsterdam station :)

@chris to optimize performance in DSEPRO3 HS1 London to Lille Route
there are a few scripted items used that are bad for the frame rates
-NSE station clock
-Clicketyclack triggers
if you turn on logging and Show logs, you see what I mean

Thank you very much for the information. I'll try to replace or remove them and see if that helps. Chris

Thank you very much for the information. I'll try to replace or remove them and see if that helps. Chris

On the Launcher, click on Trainz settings.

Click on Performance tab.
Uncheck PhysX.

Currently, this setting kills the performance bigly. You may need to adjust shadows, and post processing as well to help with the performance

You will have to restart TRS19 after making this change.

In the game click on the 3-bars in the upper left corner.

Click on Settings.

Adjust the graphics down on the Trees and texture details.

My recommendation is to play around with these settings.

Boost performance tips that help here

-Trainz runs best on a PC with nvidia card
-careful with huge monitors 4k sounds nice but HD gives more joy
-turn off Physx
-turn off texture streaming
-put Local folder on an m2.SSD
-be critical on every Asset, specially file size(everything has to be loaded)
-be critical on every script (threads or spam)
-don't use showoff ego ware on big routes
-the less PBR the better, specially groundtextures
-the less different assets the better
-repair faulty assets or replace
-use low poly items distant from the track
-Older routes are often smooth running gems after some work
-careful with many portals on a route, alternative instant move train2
-careful with sound assets
-simple (path finding, crossing, commands) is always better

Just noticed that I've had Physx turned on. Happy to turn it off, but what does this function do? (ie. what will I lose by turning it off?)

Paul

Just noticed that I've had Physx turned on. Happy to turn it off, but what does this function do? (ie. what will I lose by turning it off?)

Paul

You'll lose smoke not passing through bridges and some other effects like that. The performance gain not having PhysX on is worth the trade-off.

What is PhysX and do I need it?

Paul

I went onto Google and found the following information, other more learned Members may give you more qualified answers.....I hope this will help you out.....;)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Physx+turned+on

Should I enable PhysX?
Should I set PhysX to CPU or GPU? If you're unsure, you can always stick to the auto setting but it is generally a good idea to set it to use the GPU instead of the CPU. … With PhysX set to use the GPU, you will usually get better game performance but there will be times when a game doesn't run as well.

What is PhysX and do I need it?
PhysX is the physics engine SDK made by NVIDIA for game development. Its used for creating great physics effects like body dynamics, ragdoll effects, vehicle dynamics and others in games. If you play games that use PhysX, you need it. Otherwise, you can ignore it and just let it be.

What is PhysX used for?
PhysX is a software library (mostly used in games) that allows you to simulate the physics of (mostly) rigid objects that are colliding with, supporting or intersecting each other. It was originally designed for a specific hardware device - but these days mostly runs on either the CPU or a GPU.

Does PhysX lower FPS?
No Physx does not increase frame rate.

it decrease the frame rates instead as GPU has more data to process now. Anything above 60 or 75 frame rate depending on your LCD monitor is useless as monitor can't display due to lower refresh rate. It only adds more realistic physx effect in games.

Is PhysX good for gaming?
Although it's more than just that. Still in development by NVIDIA, the PhysX API gives game designers a cheaty, GPU accelerated way of simulating realistic, dynamic objects in 3D environments. ... And it's a great feature to have in your games, but it's important to note that PhysX comes at a price.Jan 18, 2022

Thanks for responses. I have an RTX 2080 card, so you would hope it can deal with this sort of stuff without too much framerate degradation. It's nice to see smoke not emitting from tunnels!

Paul

Evening all,

Just had GeForce Software update and normal NVIDIA Driver Update,

What peaked my interest is the Battery Section here and what NVIDIA will do to help maintain a better Balance of GPU and CPU power usage.

What’s new in GeForce Experience 3.25

Battery Boost 2.0

GeForce Experience now supports Battery Boost 2.0, which extends battery life while gaming by finding the optimal balance of GPU and CPU power usage, battery discharge, image quality, and frame rates. Battery Boost 2.0 has been totally re-architected, using AI to control the whole platform, all in real time. The result is great playability on battery, with up to 70% more battery life. This feature is supported on new laptops with 4th generation Max-Q Technologies

Reflex Analyzer Automatic Configuration

Reflex Analyzer now automatically configures itself - making latency measurement a 1-click experience and incredibly easy to use. All gamers have to do is plug their mouse into the Reflex USB port on their Reflex monitor and hit Alt + R. Gamers can switch weapons, use weapons without muzzle flashes, and measure latency while they play the game.

The Reflex Analyzer flash indicator is now controlled by GeForce Experience and shown when the performance overlay is enabled. Gamers with a Reflex Mouse can measure full end to end system latency measurements while gamers without a Reflex Mouse can still measure PC + Display Latency.

To use automatic configuration on your Reflex Analyzer display in a supported Reflex game like RIOT’s Valorant, install the latest game ready driver, and jump in!

Optimal settings support added for 25 new games including:

Age of Empires IV, Battlefield 2042, Bright Memory: Infinite, Call of Duty: Vanguard, Chorus, Crab Game, F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch, Farming Simulator 22, Football Manager 2022, Forza Horizon 5, Gas Station Simulator, Grand Theft Auto 3: Definitive Edition, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas: Definitive Edition, Grand Theft Auto Vice City: Definitive Edition, Halo Infinite, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition, Inscryption, Jurassic World Evolution 2, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, Riders Republic, Ruined King: A League of Legends Story, SOLIDWORKS, The Elder Scrolls Online, Thunder Tier One, Wartales

Squashed bugs!

• Patched to the latest NVIDIA software security updates.
  • Fixed an issue with slower video frame rates with desktop capture and camera enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where Instant Replay unexpectedly turns off in multi-monitor PC setup.
  • Fixed an issue with Gamestream with pin pairing.

I removed the GForce Experience because it's a bit of a system hog.

N3V needs to do a bit more to its graphics support to lower the impact on the graphics adapter. Forcing a GPU to run at 100% throttle all the time isn't good for the hardware. Out of all the games and programs I use, Trainz overall, especially TANE and up, really push the video card the most and really raise the temperatures to some crazy levels.

Yes, I worry about this too John.

Wonder why N3V don't seek optimisation with NVidia and get Trainz added - does it cost too much?

Paul

Optimization has been my biggest problem with trainz... period. My CPU (i7-4790k) fan has to run at 100% or order to keep it under safe temperatures while playing, and my overclocked GPU's (1060 6gb) fan speed has to be manually controlled by external software. It doesn't seen to matter how good a rig you have - It will always stress your CPU and GPU to the max.

I have always wondered if this is why so many people report dead computers. It has to add to the wear and tear. I had a laptop drive go bad, but of course I can't say that was the cause. Never had it happen in all the computers I had before Trainz, but that is purely circumstantial.

Optimization has been my biggest problem with trainz... period. My CPU (i7-4790k) fan has to run at 100% or order to keep it under safe temperatures while playing, and my overclocked GPU's (1060 6gb) fan speed has to be manually controlled by external software. It doesn't seen to matter how good a rig you have - It will always stress your CPU and GPU to the max.

I really freaked out when I ran TRS19 and TRS22 the first time with my new computer which I finally got last week. With temperatures exceeding the 83C limit for my video card, I promptly exited and installed MSI Afterburner. I then went through the lengthy process of playing with fan curves and power settings to come up with a setting that will work. In the end, I dropped the power to 80% and increased the fans to 75% to prevent the video card from throttling up and down and to keep everything cool overall. The CPU is water cooled and appears to be doing okay.

Yes, I worry about this too John.

Wonder why N3V don't seek optimisation with NVidia and get Trainz added - does it cost too much?

Paul

I wondered why they can't optimize the code as well. I don't think this is something that needs to be paid for, but maybe the programmer(s) need(s) a trip to a training class for this and this is the problem.

I have always wondered if this is why so many people report dead computers. It has to add to the wear and tear. I had a laptop drive go bad, but of course I can't say that was the cause. Never had it happen in all the computers I had before Trainz, but that is purely circumstantial.

It is definitely wear and tear on the hardware that will kill a system. The components may be solid-state but running everything full-stop for hours on end with inefficient cooling will eventually burn out the components. In some instances, it's a matter of a bit of maintenance such as blowing out fans and keeping the inside clean. In other instances, it's a combination of things including poor air circulation within the case plus the software pushing the hardware at a constant high temperature. With Trainz, we have to constantly fight to keep the temperatures low to start with which gives us little wiggle room for high ambient temperatures or poor case design on top of that. With my new rig, the case design has a lot to be desired and that adds insult to injury to the high temperatures because my system is already running at 64 C. That's not a lot to work with to keep things cool. I ended up playing with the power-level and fan curves on my RTX-3080 to prevent the hardware from overheating and the speed throttling down constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back