Heavy dithering in new loco :-(

Chris750

My new acquired loco, FEX44ac, has serious pixel/dithering issues. I have contacted RRMODS via email, no answer so far (4 days so not too long) but thought I should post here too. I tried reinstalling the loco but that didn't help at all. Running Trs19 114800

pixel-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My new acquired loco, FEX44ac, has serious pixel/dithering issues. I have contacted RRMODS via email, no answer so far (4 days so not too long) but thought I should post here too. I tried reinstalling the loco but that didn't help at all. Running Trs19 114800

{image removed from quote}

This is the auto-generated shadows within the cab that do that, and it has nothing to do with the model. I had a discussion with Windwalkr about it and he said that's the way it is, and the topic was dropped.

I was about to ask the same question for a different loco, thanks for the answer John.

The new WCR Class 47 Diesel is the same, came with my TRS22 basic install, very off-putting when driving.!

So I shall add it to the list headed 'That's the way it is' along with Jellytex wobbly ground textures.

Cheere,
Graham

This is the auto-generated shadows within the cab that do that, and it has nothing to do with the model. I had a discussion with Windwalkr about it and he said that's the way it is, and the topic was dropped.

Why does it only happen in that one loco of all the locos I have, including the BC Rail loco I purchased at the same time (Dec 25)? I think it is a model error IMO their shadow script is N/S, never had this problem with JR locos or any free stuff from the DLS, just this one. Plus still have not had any reply from the company, bad form.

Last edited:
Why does it only happen in that one loco of all the locos I have, including the BC Rail loco I purchased at the same time (Dec 25)? I think it is a model error IMO their shadow script is N/S, never had this problem with JR locos or any free stuff from the DLS, just this one. Plus still have not had any reply from the company, bad form.

The shadow is autogenerated off of the mesh, so this has something to do with this loco. I have had this occur with the JR P42s, SD90s, and other locomotives and that's why I brought it up in the past.

I won't comment on RR-Mods customer service...

Remember for all of us it's New Year's Eve, so everyone's who already short on staff is even shorter on staff. I was visiting relatives in eastern Tennessee for Christmas and went to Pigeon Forge to the theme park Dollywood last Tuesday (12/28/2021) and stopped at a McDonald's for some supper on the way back, which only had three employees holding down the drive thru, two manning the two drive thru windows and one making all the meals, as the dining room was closed. They were complaining about how hard they were working and were about ready to walk out and close down the restaurant.

The shadow is autogenerated off of the mesh, so this has something to do with this loco. I have had this occur with the JR P42s, SD90s, and other locomotives and that's why I brought it up in the past.

I have JR SD70 and 80 (x6 purchased) and several other locos (SD40s I believe purchased for about 10 including a route) no problem but I don't have the 90. Either way, it makes cab mode suck as it just looks horrible. If I could I would ask for a refund, but of course there is no way for them to revoke the CDP from you. The one pat on the back I give RRmods is when you buy the loco all the dependencies you need to DL are included with the email, no searching just click on the link, that was very nice.

They did reply on the 26th about another question I had, but not this one.:sleep:

***Ok, to be fair to RRmods, the question that was answered on the 26th went directly to milo while the dithering I just used the company email address so it is probably just sitting in the in box. So if that is the case, then apologies.***

Last edited:
I will try turning off my shadows, don't really need them anyway but FYI my settings are on ultra. So it seems this really isn't an RRMODS problem then, but a trainz problem, and does it still exist in the new version of trainz? Since they never mentioned it, only the new surveyor that STILL uses a round paint brush on a square grid, I would say yes but maybe someone who has the new version can clarify.

I will try turning off my shadows, don't really need them anyway but FYI my settings are on ultra. So it seems this really isn't an RRMODS problem then, but a trainz problem, and does it still exist in the new version of trainz? Since they never mentioned it, only the new surveyor that STILL uses a round paint brush on a square grid, I would say yes but maybe someone who has the new version can clarify.

Yup 22 has the same problem i am running that now.

Hello, im glad you found the solution to this issue. But please in the future only reach out to us at info(at)rrmods.us or DM me on the forums as the previous email purchases(at)rrmods.com hasnt been used in years and was replaced with info(at)rrmods.us Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry for that, but on the other hand the email address should not pop up in "email us" then, can't blame the customer for using the email your site provides.

I still think the dithering has to have something to do with the script, otherwise the dithering would appear in all locomotives cab view, I am going to play with the shadow.im file and see what I can come up with.

***It is interesting, the BC Rail loco I purchased that was made for TANE uses a shadow.im file and does not suffer from dithering, the FXE loco I purchased was made for TRS19 and does not use a shadow.im (not that I could find) and suffers from dithering, so perhaps a shadow.im should be created to fix the horrible looking cab shadows (not sure if shadow.im works in TRS19, just spitballing)***

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that "Auto-Generated Shadows" feature replaces the shadow.im so when content uses dynamic shadowing, it won't have a shdow.im file. Maybe reduce the strength of your shadows in settings will help?

I nuked all shadows, dithering gone. Rather funny that shadow.im worked fine, then they improved shadows by not having to create shadow.im and now we have problems. Oh well.:eek:

Back