are there any Alaska Railroad Passenger cars out there???

Some time after not getting very far in reskinning myself, I found a bunch of Alaska passenger cars. I don't know at this point how I could have missed them, they all seem to be on the DLS under "alaska railroad". Now, if I could just find a danged ROUTE to run them on!!! Furthermore, we discovered a tv series on Discovery+ called "Alaska Railroad", and every episode is about the challenges of running that particular railroad in the harsh conditions of the Alaska interior. There are multiple seasons, and even my wife finds them interesting, so woohoo, I get to watch them on the big tv, lol.

Now, not to start a war here, you can actually create your own route in Surveyor. Using the basic tools, you can sculpt the landscape how you like it, lay the track and landscape everything with textures, assets, and trees. The biggest issue is patience and time and working with your learning curve at the same time. In the olden days, this was the only way to create routes until people discovered data files and created tools to convert those to Trainz data. The tools do require time to learn, but they give you the base to start with which means you have the land in place ready for landscaping and track laying.

After saying that, we all recommend, I mean highly recommend, you start small. A few baseboards will do to start with, and you can always expand later. My very first home-spun route was about 4 baseboards and that is quite complex now. We also recommend opening up routes in Surveyor and looking around to see how things are constructed. When I started, I found George Fisher (gfisher) to be my virtual mentor. There are many other excellent route creators today and take a look at their methods and experiment with them. The worst thing that'll happen is you don't like the results and spent time. Once you've become experienced with this method, which will be needed many times over anyway, you can go to the next step of importing real-world data.

The data is obtained from the National Map servers run by the U.S. Geological Survey.

The National Map | U.S. Geological Survey (usgs.gov)

Be warned, it's a typical government website that's a bit more complicated to use than it should be. Once you know what you need and find it, it's not so bad. In order to bring the data into Trainz use the highly recommended TransDEM program that was created by fellow Trainz user GeoPhil. This is a payware program that costs about $26-28 bucks these days. TransDEM (rolandziegler.de). The home page: TransDEM (rolandziegler.de)

Yes, there is a big learning curve here, but what you'll gain here is an amazing ability to create routes from anywhere in the world. The base-export from TransDEM is a route ready for import complete with the topographic map textures in place and even UTM tiles on a layer ready for displaying if you want to go that route. You can even export a quick the route with some of your track in place ready for adjustments or leave that blank and only use the topographic map which many of us do so we can lay down abandoned lines. You can even go as far as to trim the route down, so you don't end up with only what you need. This can be tricky because you don't want to cut out the size of a hill and many of us do a basic trimming in TransDEM and finish off the closer stuff manually in Surveyor.

The only problem we have when using this method is producing routes that are bigger than we can chew! Once the route is imported into Trainz, it's no different than any other route you have installed. You can even go as far as to create a fictitious line on the same terrain and even merge this into another route. Since the route uses real world coordinates, you can even merge in additional parts to the route in the same region because they will line up. Some of us build small sections at a time and merge them together and this works well if you do a collaborative project. The only thing you need to be careful with is trimming because you want to ensure everything remains intact otherwise edges don't line up.

I have an Alaska Railroad route that I made for myself - it runs from Seward to Whittier. I made it in TANE so it has many assets which are somewhat outdated. I've just started to update the route to TRS22 standards. I can upload it to the DLS when I'm done if anyone is interested in it.

Alaska route, finally!!

I have an Alaska Railroad route that I made for myself - it runs from Seward to Whittier. I made it in TANE so it has many assets which are somewhat outdated. I've just started to update the route to TRS22 standards. I can upload it to the DLS when I'm done if anyone is interested in it.

I only have TRS19, I wonder what would happen if I tried a route made for TRS22. Hey I'd settle for the TANE version if there was any way to get ahold of it! Is there any chance I could give you a DropBox link to upload it to?? Please PM me if you would be so kind, or if you think I will be able to use the 'new' route in TRS19, I can wait I suppose...

Me, I travelled the railway from Anchorage to Whittier a couple of years ago, and would thoroughly love travelling the area virtually - I will most likely never get to Alaska again.

I only have TRS19, I wonder what would happen if I tried a route made for TRS22. Hey I'd settle for the TANE version if there was any way to get ahold of it! Is there any chance I could give you a DropBox link to upload it to?? Please PM me if you would be so kind, or if you think I will be able to use the 'new' route in TRS19, I can wait I suppose...

Me, I travelled the railway from Anchorage to Whittier a couple of years ago, and would thoroughly love travelling the area virtually - I will most likely never get to Alaska again.

You can't try routes from TRS22, but TRS22 can run routes from TRS19 and below.

That's good to hear, but hold off on uploading anything until all is said and done with TRS22. That version is still in beta and a lot will possibly change before it's complete.

Alaska passenger cars

I spent all my teens growing up in Alaska. Now at 61, a couple of years ago we took the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Whittier, and today I saw a Trainz Route for Anchorage to Seward. Well the route demands a train, eh? I quickly found an engine, but no passenger cars at all. I found them for a different sim, but worthless to us on Trainz. Has anyone seen any such cars? Reskins? Anything?
Out on Download there are version 3.5 cars created by fourteen. Never downloaded them so I don't know their working condition. There's stuff there though. Hope that helps. :)

Out on Download there are version 3.5 cars created by fourteen. Never downloaded them so I don't know their working condition. There's stuff there though. Hope that helps. :)

Oh these? They work in trainz 12 and 19

ZWq5K4x.jpg

Could I please get a copy of your existing TANE version? I will send you a private message here in the Auran Forum with a link to upload, just click on it and point to a zipped up file maybe....Pretty please?

Yes, thanks, I don't know how I missed them, but after posting that, I found a BUNCH of coaches, exactly what I was looking for. Weird that only one of them is setup to take passengers, but, they let me have a passenger consist!

Yes, thanks, I don't know how I missed them, but after posting that, I found a BUNCH of coaches, exactly what I was looking for. Weird that only one of them is setup to take passengers, but, they let me have a passenger consist!

pretty sure mine can all load passengers, or baggage/goods etc as the case may be.

<kuid2:63290:60009:1> passengers western
<kuid:-25:1235> Prod Passengers 2012
<kuid:520526:1612> US 1920s-1930s Passengers

Last edited:
pretty sure mine can all load passengers, or baggage/goods etc as the case may be.

<kuid2:63290:60009:1> passengers western
<kuid:-25:1235> Prod Passengers 2012
<kuid:520526:1612> US 1920s-1930s Passengers

First, I'm sorry I didn't realize at first, until I saw the word "mine", who you were. Thank you so very much for uploading the Alaska passenger coaches!!! I really appreciate it. Since I rode in such a car a couple of years ago, it was my first desired item of the Alaska Railroad, I was so happy to finally find them.

As far as loading passengers, etc., here is what I have found:

Can add passengers:
Alaska Railroad Railway Post Office 1
Alaska Railroad Coach 1
Alaska Railroad Baggage car 1

No option for adding passengers:
Alaska Railroad Dining Car 1
Alaska Railroad Observation Dome 1
Alaska Railroad Dome Buffet Coach 1
Alaska Railroad Sleeping Car v2 1

It's not the end of the world, I was just mentioning it, and this response is just addressing the bit where you thought they could all accept passengers. I don't know how any of that works (the configuring bit when creating a coach, etc.), I just know how to use the ? to click on cars in Surveyor mode and load this and that.

Do you live up there?
Tim

well not sure why you canot add passengers. The dining car, Observation Dome, Sleeping Car v2 for example has the following passengers enabled. The Dome Buffet Coach is missing one of the passenger types to load for some reason.

0 <kuid:-3:11061>
1 <kuid2:63290:60009:1>
2 <kuid:-25:1235>
3 <kuid:520526:1612>

the industry you are using may have a differnt passenger type then those listed above. if it does the cars will not load or unload there.

Last edited:
well not sure why you canot add passengers. The dining car, Observation Dome, Sleeping Car v2 for example has the following passengers enabled. The Dome Buffet Coach is missing one of the passenger types to load for some reason.

0 <kuid:-3:11061>
1 <kuid2:63290:60009:1>
2 <kuid:-25:1235>
3 <kuid:520526:1612>

the industry you are using may have a differnt passenger type then those listed above. if it does the cars will not load or unload there.

It must just be me/my-computer/my-Trainz-software somehow! Thank you for checking, sorry for wasting your time. And thanks again for the rolling stock!

I've looked everywhere for the TANE version of my Alaska Route but it appears that I didn't keep a copy of it. I only have copies of the route as I've been worked updating it for TRS 22. Sorry about that.

I've looked everywhere for the TANE version of my Alaska Route but it appears that I didn't keep a copy of it. I only have copies of the route as I've been worked updating it for TRS 22. Sorry about that.

That's okay, thanks very much for looking!
Tim

Back