Messed up TransDem UTC tiles - help?

K4andT1lover

Messed up TransDem UTM tiles - help?

Hi, all.

I went into TransDem tonight, and made a fairly small area of track and topography for the Reading and Northern RR - between where the current route stops on the southern end, down to the northern part of the city of Reading. This will allow prototypical runs from RBMN's Outer Station to Jim Thorpe (PA). Or even the old BM&R route.

Loaded the resulting folders into TANE. Everything looked fine, except that I did not go quite far enough on the southern end. So - deleted the folders from TANE; and rebuilt the section again.

Here's where the problem came up: the topography and tracks are fine; and I went far enough both north and south. I typically make the street map UTM tiles under the grid - and the second time around, they are all messed up. Repeats, turned the wrong directions, a few missing completely, etc.

Does anyone know the proper procedure to correct this mess? Even if I have to delete a few hundred images somewhere, and reload. I just don't where / which direction to go at the moment.

Help and suggestions warmly welcomed! Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:
If at first you don't succeed...
Well, after trying a couple of things on my own - which didn't work - I just deleted all traces of the new route from Trainz, my hard drive, and the TransDEM-created data files. And started over.
This time it worked as expected. I may have deleted some UTM tiles that were still being used in my Bethlehem Branch route; but I think enough roads are established that I can continue without the UTMs. Live and learn, I hope. :eek: Ron

I guess that for some reason a few KUIDs were accidentally reused. UTM tiles are ordinary Trainz assets, so each one has a KUID. The KUIDs must be unique. TransDEM keeps track of the KUIDs it had issued, but only on a local base for the current TransDEM installation.

I got caught by that however I worked it out from the tile names of those in the right place, cloned the duplicated ones, I have backups of the originals, made a chart on graph paper recorded all the existing ones and then worked out where the additional tiles and any corrections needed to go based on the tile names. Added them in surveyor on an additional UTM layer, I called it UTM2 and then manually positioned the tiles in the right place having locked all layers other than the new UTM so nothing else would get moved, then merged with the additional UTM layer when all in the right place, It wasn't that difficult once I'd worked out a plan. ;)

Last edited:
I got caught by that however I worked it out from the tile names of those in the right place, cloned the duplicated ones, I have backups of the originals, made a chart on graph paper recorded all the existing ones and then worked out where the additional tiles and any corrections needed to go based on the tile names. Added them in surveyor on an additional UTM layer, I called it UTM2 and then manually positioned the tiles in the right place having locked all layers other than the new UTM so nothing else would get moved, then merged with the additional UTM layer when all in the right place, It wasn't that difficult once I'd worked out a plan. ;)

Yikes! I hope that was easier than it sounds! But I will remember your plan if this ever happens again.

Back