How do I change the default direction of a locomotive?

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
Hey everybody! I'm wanting to take my Utah Belt SD7 and make it slightly better by changing the default direction, from long hood forward to short hood forward. Problem is, I have no idea how to do that! The default direction is whichever way the loco faces upon spawning it in, and I'm pretty sure the UB ran their SD7's short hood forward :)

Could anyone help me? Thank you!

In surveyor, in the consist section, there's a red/white circle arrow tool that rotates the locomotive direction you will see the arrows change direction above the locomotive. You can also do this in driver by clicking the white circle arrows where the horn, headlights, etc. are.

Hert, thank you for the information but this still does not answer my question. I should've clarified that I was looking for a permanent solution that can stay across routes, probably a script edit.

The way a train faces, when placed, depends on the track direction. If it is a portal engine you just change the forward direction to backward.

The way a train faces, when placed, depends on the track direction. If it is a portal engine you just change the forward direction to backward.

Stagecoach, thanks for the information, but you aren't getting what I'm saying. In high-hood locomotives, take the UB SD7 from JointedRail, there is a predefined "Forward" somewhere in the script or config file. This forward is the default direction of operation. If it leads in a consist it's long hood forward. I want to make it SHORT hood forward, with the little green arrow pointing to the short hood, not the long hood, by default. I need to know how to change this in whatever config or script file this is in so I can run my UB SD7's short hood forward all the time every time.

As hert said, I can change this in surveyor but after a while it gets annoying.
2021-12-26-072718.jpg

Last edited:
It's controlled by a.limfront and a.limback for your own use you can use the im editor. There is a link somewhere in the wiki.

Cheerio John

just hitting the change direction/heading when placing it in a session, is only 1x

Easiest trick I know (workaround 3592)
place the loco and make a consist of just that loco
a consist file is just a kuid with a config.txt inside
in that config you can change/edit the heading
From then on just place the consist instead of the single loco
but maybe even the consist gets placed wrong lol, you never know with Trainz

It's controlled by a.limfront and a.limback for your own use you can use the im editor. There is a link somewhere in the wiki.

Cheerio John

Pretty sure this won't work. Front is always the -y direction in the mesh and the back is always +y. You might be able to mess around with rotation tags and a separate attachment mesh, but it will be much easier to just save a consist of the rotated loco as a suggested above.

Pretty sure this won't work. Front is always the -y direction in the mesh and the back is always +y. You might be able to mess around with rotation tags and a separate attachment mesh, but it will be much easier to just save a consist of the rotated loco as a suggested above.

it won't, you can only break the model doing this in the way that the trucks and light points are also dependent on their position, simply changing limfront and limback will likely cause a crash or at best a locomotive that might fly away or derail when you try to place it.

the only way I know to really do this is to turn the model around, exchange the limfront and limback points as well as the trucks and lights.

Back