Locomotives as scenery?

K4andT1lover

All,
This may be the wrong forum , but I'm wondering if it's possible to use locomotives as Stationary scenery objects? I've tried before, but they are all "live" and often start moving in Driver mode.
There has to be a way, right?
Thanks for any tips.
Ron

you can place them on invisible track most anywhere. Do not assign a driver, and make sure you untick the assign drivers to empty trains box. If you want them to be dead, you will have to investigate editing the config file.

If your hardware is good then just do as above. If it's more marginal then turn them into scenery objects which has less impact in the game. You may need to split out the bogies and make them assets then assemble them altogether.

Cheerio John

If your hardware is good then just do as above. If it's more marginal then turn them into scenery objects which has less impact in the game. You may need to split out the bogies and make them assets then assemble them altogether.

Great! Thanks for the quick replies, guys!
Ron

I created 4 "dead" steam locos for one of my projects. All different numbered versions of the same class.

<kuid:45176:100921> SAR T Class Loco No 229 (not operating) Narrow Gauge 3ft6in
<kuid:45176:100961> SAR T Class Loco No 204 (not operating) Narrow Gauge 3ft6in
<kuid:45176:100934> SAR T Class Loco No 239 (not operating) Narrow Gauge 3ft6in
<kuid:45176:100954> SAR T Class Loco No 251 (not operating) Narrow Gauge 3ft6in

All are available on the DLS. I have one of them mounted on display in a public park next to a railway station. All of them can be shunted and moved but not by their own power.

I edited their config.txt files by:-

Changed the "engine" tag from 1 to 0
Removed the "enginesound", "hornsound", "smoke" (there were several of those) and "script" tags
Kept the "enginespec" tag

The alternative is to change the kind to scenery.

You then remove the enginespec, interior, and everything else related to smoke, fuel, etc.

Your bogies will become detached. You'll have to clone those and make those into scenery as well.

To place your scenery-loco, you'll have to fiddle with the bogies on a piece of track then position the loco on top of it.

I've done that to a couple of pieces of rolling stock and one steam locomotive. It was a pain.

Scenery Loco.jpg Scenery Bogey.jpg

The issue with this, besides being a pain to setup each piece, is the amount of memory these assets take. Locomotives have lots of details and polygons. Placing one or two is okay, but a complete yard filled with them is bad.

Ha.. I remember a route I downloaded... Session started and I hit the DCC knob and a fenced in display loco crashed thru the fence and derailed. Sneaky session developer had set the focus on that loco to start the session. It sat right in a little park right next to some other loco's and I hadn't noticed where the focus was.

Ha.. I remember a route I downloaded... Session started and I hit the DCC knob and a fenced in display loco crashed thru the fence and derailed. Sneaky session developer had set the focus on that loco to start the session. It sat right in a little park right next to some other loco's and I hadn't noticed where the focus was.

I had that occur as well, but I can't remember the route it was.

That needs to be fixed because that's a safety hazard! Some AI children playing around on that locomotive may end up crashing through the fence and injuring themselves or worse!

I had good luck making a loco into an unpowered train vehicle by

Changing the Loco tag to 0. That should prevent the automatic assignment of a driver.
Changing the Enginespec tag to "Default wagon". The loco won't go anywhere on its own.
To avoid having the cab view jump into the cold loco the Interior had to be removed, but if you're not putting it on a train that wouldn't be necessary.

This was a build 1.9 SW7 I cloned and modded by permission of the author. It was done in Trainz 2009 and works correctly in 2012 and T:ANE. Once upon a time it was on the DLS but has been removed, probably for compatibility reasons. It was used that way in only one session, so demand for it was, let's say, low.

I had no issues with the bogeys doing it this way, they did not need any mods.

:B~)

Locos can be converted to behave just like wagons or coaches. A more 'elegant' solution would be if you could have the loco body joined to its bogies and categorised as a 'Track Object' item so it can be added directly to the route. Some wagons are set up like this, such as kuid2:143205:10006:1 DB Glms 207 Trackside, so it would be interesting to see if a loco could be set up the same way.

However, my bugbear about having groups of locos together (say, in a depot) is not whether you can set them up as scenery items (after all, you might want to run them!) but rather that they make such a racket set up as locos - why won't N3V give us an 'off' button?!

Here's my diesel loco-shed - looks great, not too much of a frame-killer (surprisingly), but what a noise - you can hear it from miles away! If only we could switch off the engines, like in a real locoshed.

51780801296_9d7587ff08_h.jpg

Paul

This is the one thing we have never really had scenery Loco's their all live.
Pity N3V can't set up a program where you place a loco in and it clones it removes what it has to and produces a scenery item.

To have locos in sidings with no engine running just go into the properties in surveyor then change the engine to Br Mk1 Coach EngineSpec. The loco should then be silent, and can't be moved.

Mark

Note there are these commands on the DLS:

<kuid2:46162:70005:1> HP Start Engine by josefpav
<kuid2:46162:70006:1> HP Stop Engine ..do..
<kuid2:86105:60577:2> Locomotive start or shut down command by phil_c

They probably work only with engines fitted with on/off switches, but don't quote me on that -- I haven't played with them. (One of the Russian engines, perhaps? Don't recall.)

Changing the e-spec to Default Wagon shuts them up, that I do know.

To have locos in sidings with no engine running just go into the properties in surveyor then change the engine to Br Mk1 Coach EngineSpec. The loco should then be silent, and can't be moved.

Mark

That's true Mark, but it means they can no longer be used as locos. Also, you'd have to create cloned versions of these locos and - if you wanted to upload route/session - would need to seek permission from the original creators. Personally, I'd prefer an 'off' button!

Paul

Note there are these commands on the DLS:

<kuid2:46162:70005:1> HP Start Engine by josefpav
<kuid2:46162:70006:1> HP Stop Engine ..do..
<kuid2:86105:60577:2> Locomotive start or shut down command by phil_c

They probably work only with engines fitted with on/off switches, but don't quote me on that -- I haven't played with them. (One of the Russian engines, perhaps? Don't recall.)

Changing the e-spec to Default Wagon shuts them up, that I do know.

Hmm, I think I dimly recall a discussion about this some time ago(!) But I think you need a special script to come with your loco to make it work. Does anyone have more information about this?

Paul

Hmm, I think I dimly recall a discussion about this some time ago(!) But I think you need a special script to come with your loco to make it work. Does anyone have more information about this?

Paul

After I posted, I took a glance at phil_c's offering. The description says it is to be used with locos that consume fuel, so that limits its usefulness.

I do now recall trying to use josefpav's shutdown command for a particular session and it worked, but as advertised it shut down all the power units, which meant it wasn't right for that session. But it might be a help here. Of course, that means each cold loco would still have to have a driver....

Back