TRS19 SP5 Release Candidate 116009 now available

115985 is TRS22 Beta (114800 > 115926 > 115985), 116009 is TRS19 SP5 Beta (114800 > 116009).

Hello.

Happy Christmas trainzing!

Well it did not go easily... I must have had senior moments as well.
I upgraded one of my many installs, SP3. SP3 was horrible for me since my own creations were almost useless because of a bug in the underlying code of SetUserControl part of the cabin script.
I upgraded via 114800 but then I did not notice that I had to switch from the TS19 Beta stream to the TS19 stream, and I ended up with a beta of TRS22. I did not need that, that is yet a separate adventure on my PC.

So I copied a clean SP3 (yet another install) and went through the patches again, now making sure I changed the stream.
Then I cut off the rebuild after the patch for I wanted to check something first, but the program came back with "Updating Asset Translations". Now this happens more often but it usually flies by almost unnoticeable. This time it took ages, after 10 minutes it had updated approx. 23000 of 550000! Sorry, I could not stand this, not willing to wait 3-4 hours, and ended this. Trainz remained active in memory no matter what and I had to force-quit it. But then still I could not rename its folder, Windows said it was in use. I got tired of being out of control and shut down the PC. Started up again. Started TRS19 SP5. Again there was the "Updating Asset Translations" but it seemed to go faster.

What in the world is "Updating Asset Translations" ???

It took "only" 15 mins to get the 550000 assets translated, and the actual rebuild started. As I write this, it is still going and will take another age. Hope it won't get stuck as it often has done in the past. If it does, I will have to add it to the "exceptions" of the "threats" list of my AV-program. That usually helped.
Does it really have to be that cumbersome?

Trainz is wonderful. Have fun!

Paul

I have no idea what that is either. It must be doing something, but like some error messages it's obtuse. It reminds me of some of the old Apple OS errors such as "An error occurred", or IBM with its huge book of error numbers we needed to look at to find Error # something, or whatever it was then that number we were looking for wasn't in the book!

You want to be careful with cutting off a rebuild because that can cause a nasty mess with your database, but you might be okay if you got this early before anything started.

Unfortunately, the database build will take hours to do especially if you have a lot of content installed. Mine took at least 6 hours the last time I did that.

Thanks John, for the funny anecdote of old times. I have not been in the computer business but I did use mainframes in the 1970s and micros from 1985 on. It was interesting to be able to print on paper and understand the CPM OS in its entirety. Things have changed.
I would think that the program should always be able to generate a database from scratch "local" data, no matter what operation one cuts off. After all, it should not make any changes to the hashed asset files (and as far as I can see, they are indeed not affected by a rebuild). I may very well be wrong, the complexity is just too much.

But my SP5 is running!

Regards,
Paul

SP5 seams to be doing strange things with layers to older routes.

I decided to have a look at TRS19 SP5 beta (116009) with a couple of my favorite routes and observed something strange.

All of the SnC (DLC payware) sessions i could test have this problem. Some of the locomotives and the first part of the consist are invisible while the remainder of the consist is visible but uncoupled from the first part. The invisible part is drivable. When i tried reversing to couple to two parts together it caused a derailment.

When I switched to surveyor mode I discovered that the visible part of the consist was attached to the route layer (by turning of session layer). I then tried to place a new locomotive (on session Layer) in front of the visible consist. I got an error message "Cannot add train as there is already a train at this location on a hidden layer". I checked the layers in Surveyor and the only 2 listed were Route and Session. I'm not sure where this invisible layer came from. In TRS19 SP3 (build 111951) all trains are attached to the session layer and visible. Bug report summited.

2 of the SnC sessions <kuid2:69379:100013:6> 10:18 Carlisle Skipton <kuid2:69379:100016:4> Thames Clyde (Ride) caused a trainz to crash to the desktop. I am aware sometimes faulty assets can cause this but Content Manager does not identify any faulty assets. Bug report summited.

ECML Kings Cross - Edinburgh Flying Scotsman Session (DLC payware). I notice when I went to start driving the coaches were not coupled to the locomotive. Again when I tried to reverse to couple to the coaches in caused the locomotive and the first coach to derail. I went to edit the session in Surveyor to couple the train together and discovered the locomotive was attached to the NV Content layer which is part of the Route layer and therefore not movable. The coaches are not attached to the session layer but appear to be attached to "lock/hide" layer, again part of the route layer and not movable. In TRS19 SP3 (build 111951) the locomotive and coaches are attached to the session layer and coupled together to for a train. Bug report summited.

Am I the only one having these problems or are others experiencing Invisible trains, consists not coupled together and trains derailing instead of coupling together?

If you are experiencing similar problems with these or other sessions it might be worth going into Surveyor mode and hiding/showing layers until you identify the layers SP5 beta has attached your trains to. Please put in a bug report if you have these issues so they can be fixed.

EDIT: Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel sessions also have issues in SP5 beta with consists uncoupling and some train vehicles being pushed to the route layer when in TRS19 SP3 they were all coupled and attached to the session layer only.

Bill

Last edited:
Yes John, I remember Mac used to have the bomb with the "type 1" error, type 1 being anything other than a clean "Type 0" completion. And in recent days Windows has taken to using the very astute but unhelpful "Something Happened."

SP5 seams to be doing strange things with layers to older routes.

Yes Bill I noticed the same thing in SP5 Beta in the Walong Stall session of Mojave Route and reported it and a similar coupling issue that caused a CTD in the sawmill session of the Legacy of BN route. The second was confirmed as reproduced by the developers and it would be fixed.

TRS19 SP5 Beta 115943 to TRS19 SP5 Release Candidate 116009 is now available via the TRS19 Beta and TRS19 PE Beta patch streams.

BETA TEST RECOMMENDATIONS:
Here are our recommended steps for participating in a beta test:

1. Create a copy of your current install folder (e.g. if you installed TRS19 in the default location it would be C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019)
  2. Run the TRS19.exe in the copied folder then click Start Trainz (you will be prompted to enter username and password)
  3. Close the game window
  4. Click Trainz Settings > Install > Change update stream
  5. Follow the prompts then click Change Stream and select TRS19 Beta (or PE Beta) from the dropdown list
  6. Click Done and the new installation will be updated
  7. You now have your original install pointing to your original local data folder and your new install pointing to a brand new local data folder.
  8. Check the build out before changing anything else (this will help identify any obvious issues and avoids touching your existing install or content)

Everything went fine until Step 6. Right after checking configuration I get the following error:

Patch not viable.

Details:
Failed to determine checksum for D:\Trainz 2019 - Copy\resources\prebuilt\assets.tdx

That folder has a file called asset-cache.tdx, but no file called assets.tdx.

I have tried this several times with same result. Not sure what to try next.

Everything went fine until Step 6. Right after checking configuration I get the following error:

Patch not viable.

Details:
Failed to determine checksum for D:\Trainz 2019 - Copy\resources\prebuilt\assets.tdx

That folder has a file called asset-cache.tdx, but no file called assets.tdx.

I have tried this several times with same result. Not sure what to try next.

Ron,

I wonder if this could be your antivirus killing the update. Try excluding your data and program folders from your antivirus real-time scanning. Antivirus programs can wreak havoc with data copying and will interfere with the patch-installer. If not, then something is worse such as a corrupted install that needs to be fixed first before updating.

I do recommend running the patch installer directly from the TRS19 program folder instead of from the Launcher. This sometimes helps with the installation process.

Ron,

I wonder if this could be your antivirus killing the update. Try excluding your data and program folders from your antivirus real-time scanning. Antivirus programs can wreak havoc with data copying and will interfere with the patch-installer. If not, then something is worse such as a corrupted install that needs to be fixed first before updating.

I do recommend running the patch installer directly from the TRS19 program folder instead of from the Launcher. This sometimes helps with the installation process.

Thanks, John. I did try this but got the same result. Guess I'll wait 'til actual release and see what happens.

Am I correct in assuming this is not available to Steam owners? I don't see any "update stream" in the setting's Install Tab.

Am I correct in assuming this is not available to Steam owners? I don't see any "update stream" in the setting's Install Tab.

As I understand it, because of the way that Steam operates it is not possible (or practical) for N3V to distribute beta versions through Steam.

Simple question please!!!

Simple question please!!! Is TRS19 SP5 Release Candidate 116009 ready for prime time, or are we waiting for a few "show stoppers" to be fixed? Thanks.

Cheers, Mac...

Thankyou for your heads up Tony in your post "39" below. Cheers...

Last edited:
116009 appears to be ready for release, of course the minute it is released an obscure bug will raise its head. So far, very stable and reliable with no problems building in it.

116009 appears to be ready for release, of course the minute it is released an obscure bug will raise its head. So far, very stable and reliable with no problems building in it.

I can only speak for my particular 116009 install of SP5 but if you return to a saved game/session you have to edit session and reset Central Portal Command for portals to startup again. '22 beta 115985 is the same. I acknowledge it could just be my installs...

I just installed TRS19 114841 on my Mac mini. It looks and works rather well. I'm very pleased. But it also has the same CPC issue.

Last edited:
Simple question please!!! Is TRS19 SP5 Release Candidate 116009 ready for prime time, or are we waiting for a few "show stoppers" to be fixed? Thanks.

Cheers, Mac...

There are a couple of issues we're looking to address so there will be another update to follow.

As I understand it, because of the way that Steam operates it is not possible (or practical) for N3V to distribute beta versions through Steam.

It is more correct to say that N3V chooses to not release beta versions for the Steam client due to it requiring a separate compilation process. I tested beta versions of TS2009, TS2010 and TS12 in Steam when I was a private tester. The only limitation the Steam Client imposes is that only one version can be installed at a time so the beta overwrites the normal version. Now Tony suggested that TRS22 would come to Steam as an Early Access version sometime soon. Since it is a new product, it will peacefully co-exist with the other versions and receive regular updates. While I call it a limitation, used properly it creates some very interesting possibilities. I use Blender under the Steam client and they have every version since 2.79a to the current 3.0 versions available under the beta screen. This allows you to try a new build but easily roll back to a stable build without the pain of the uninstall and re-install cycle. It takes only a few seconds.

Back