Can't open Asset X!

I have never heard of that one. Is it real or just a typo? Would like to get a copy if possible.

Its on Shane's website - http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/home/utilities/pevsoft-trainz-tools Probably not your average Trainz creator tool.
DEr4Ueg
DEr4Ueg

Richedit is some Delphi term? What is it about? And what is the connection of that to the AssetX or other PEV's programs? I too haven't heard about Mesh Text Viewer and I can't find it on the PEV's site either.

Richedit is some Delphi term? What is it about? And what is the connection of that to the AssetX or other PEV's programs? I too haven't heard about Mesh Text Viewer and I can't find it on the PEV's site either.

Rich Edit is more of a Windows thing. Google it for information. Maybe the OP has the external script editor pointing to an editor that, by default, uses Rich Edit instead of plain text.

I screwed up with the reference as MeshTextViewer is not on the web page I mentioned. However, you probably don't need it as some of the functionality is within AssetX. Select an IM file and click on the icon with the horizontal bars just below the information symbol. The full version allows you to see all the vertex, tri indicies, etc. Not very helpful with large IM files.

Mesh Text Edit was removed from my downloads years ago. It had features that could edit IM files which, at the time, was not allowed.. The mesh text viewer in AssetX has no editing features.

IIRC, RichEdit is/was a slightly formatted edit program that could change fonts etc. All editing in AssetX assumes text edit only as in a .txt file.

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out how to fix this error?
"Exception EReadError in module AssetX.exe at 00027D87. Error reading RichEdit1.Lines.Strings: RichEdit line insertion error."

How do I do that?

Press SHIFT while right-clicking on a text file.

- Click on Open with...

A list of available programs will be listed. If Notepad.exe or just Notepad is listed, choose that. There should be a checkbox that says to always use this app to open this file.

If Notepad isn't listed, you need to go below to More Apps.

- Click on Choose another App.
- Scroll the list if you have to.
- Click on Look for another app on this PC

Explorer will open up.

- Click browse
- Click on This PC
- Click on C: drive
- Browse to C:/Windows and
- Click on Notepad.exe
- Be sure to click on Always use this app to open .txt files.

Press SHIFT while right-clicking on a text file.

- Click on Open with...

A list of available programs will be listed. If Notepad.exe or just Notepad is listed, choose that. There should be a checkbox that says to always use this app to open this file.

If Notepad isn't listed, you need to go below to More Apps.

- Click on Choose another App.
- Scroll the list if you have to.
- Click on Look for another app on this PC

Explorer will open up.

- Click browse
- Click on This PC
- Click on C: drive
- Browse to C:/Windows and
- Click on Notepad.exe
- Be sure to click on Always use this app to open .txt files.

It's already set. I thought you meant edit the ini configuration file?

What asset are you trying to open?

It could be a permissions thing meaning you're trying to edit a DLC asset which can't be edited this way.

What asset are you trying to open?

It could be a permissions thing meaning you're trying to edit a DLC asset which can't be edited this way.

Any asset. But I can't open Asset X at all, no matter what.
Thank to this error message: "Exception EReadError in module AssetX.exe at 00027D87. Error reading RichEdit1.Lines.Strings: RichEdit line insertion error."

Any asset. But I can't open Asset X at all, no matter what.
Thank to this error message: "Exception EReadError in module AssetX.exe at 00027D87. Error reading RichEdit1.Lines.Strings: RichEdit line insertion error."

I'm not a programmer but a quick Bing search shows this to be a Delphi programming error message.

RichEdit - line insertion error - embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using (codeverge.com)

The situation here that's causing the error is due to the character string being too long and the program runs out of memory.

With that said, what is the path where your asset is being edited?

Are you using C:/users/<your username>/AppData/Local/N3V Games/TRS19/build xxxxxx? (The xxxxxx = the letters and numbers.)

It maybe that the magic combination of the asset-name plus the path makes the Delphi program barf and unable to open.

The other issue could be where do you have AssetX installed?

Is it in the normal C:/Program Files (x86)/PEVs Tools/AssetX or did you put it another location with more folders?

My hunch this might be the cause.

There's an easy way to test this.

1) Put the asset opened for edit into another folder right off the root of the drive.

- Create a temp folder if you don't have one already.
- Go into Content Manager.
- Open an asset for editing.
- Open Windows File Explorer
- Open the editing folder in your TRS19 data folder.
- Copy the asset-folder.

It'll look something like this:
kuid2 425700 103730 1 CL Coaling Stage -

- Paste this folder in your temp folder.
- Start up AssetX and open the asset located in the temp folder instead. (I can't remember the exact steps because it's been years since I used it).

If it works, then this is the problem.

2) Install AssetX in another folder instead of the default such as C:/PEVS Tools/Asset X then run the program.

I'm not a programmer but a quick Bing search shows this to be a Delphi programming error message.

RichEdit - line insertion error - embarcadero.delphi.vcl.using (codeverge.com)

The situation here that's causing the error is due to the character string being too long and the program runs out of memory.

With that said, what is the path where your asset is being edited?

Are you using C:/users/<your username>/AppData/Local/N3V Games/TRS19/build xxxxxx? (The xxxxxx = the letters and numbers.)

It maybe that the magic combination of the asset-name plus the path makes the Delphi program barf and unable to open.

The other issue could be where do you have AssetX installed?

Is it in the normal C:/Program Files (x86)/PEVs Tools/AssetX or did you put it another location with more folders?

My hunch this might be the cause.

There's an easy way to test this.

1) Put the asset opened for edit into another folder right off the root of the drive.

- Create a temp folder if you don't have one already.
- Go into Content Manager.
- Open an asset for editing.
- Open Windows File Explorer
- Open the editing folder in your TRS19 data folder.
- Copy the asset-folder.

It'll look something like this:
kuid2 425700 103730 1 CL Coaling Stage -

- Paste this folder in your temp folder.
- Start up AssetX and open the asset located in the temp folder instead. (I can't remember the exact steps because it's been years since I used it).

If it works, then this is the problem.

2) Install AssetX in another folder instead of the default such as C:/PEVS Tools/Asset X then run the program.

None of them work!
Not even reinstalling it worked!

I think Asset X needs an update.

None of them work!
Not even reinstalling it worked!

I think Asset X needs an update.

It won't get one as andi06 passed away.

It's working fine here in both Win10 and Win11.

Default Ownership is Administrator, so you need to be using an Admin Account.
What Operating System are you using?
Is it fully up to date?
What Antivirus are you using? Is it interfering with AssetX?
Is Microsoft blocking it? Can happen with Win 10 and 11, should be able to right click on the exe file and click Unblock.

Have you run SFC /scannow from an Admin Command prompt, may be a corrupt system file causing the problem.

I'd suggest having a look at your Sisters Laptop and see just what you are missing in the way of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables under Control Panel > programs and features
And check your .net is up to date, check Windows update and that you have enabled .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 4.8, again Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off.

Default Ownership is Administrator, so you need to be using an Admin Account.

Back